Alternatives to GoDaddy?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
I have two personal website domains and GoDaddy is telling me it's time to renew.

Would gurus here recommend using Go Daddy? Are there better registrars?

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff. Thanks for the help.

Most of my stuff is at Godaddy, but I have a few with Network Solutions directly and a few with Amazon.

Actual websites or just domain registration?

There’s literally hundreds of registrars. I happen to use a reseller out of Utah but also have used name.com for some stuff when they were locally owned to me. I think they got bought but nothing changed.

I’ve started using porkbun.com for domain registration, and Amazon Lightsail for web hosting. Dirt cheap and both work fine so far.

I like joker.com for registrations.

how do you prise your domain name out of GoDaddy’s (or others’) hands at renewal time?

how do you prise your domain name out of GoDaddy’s (or others’) hands at renewal time?

You enter the name at the new registrar, the. Make a transfer request. This usually requires some extra security verification at the registrar that is transferring the name out.

I kinda like GoDaddy, been using them for a long time

I try and avoid GoDaddy. As I recall they supported the legislation to regulate the internet which everyone was up in arms about some years ago. They also ran those strange ads with Daniella Patrick, the female race car driver.

But what really got to me was when I heard a talk by one of their attorneys that was involved in their initial setup and who is still with them. She apparently considers her job very important because she “controls the kill switch on half the internet”. Not the sort of people I want running my domain or hosting.

But what really got to me was when I heard a talk by one of their attorneys that was involved in their initial setup and who is still with them. She apparently considers her job very important because she “controls the kill switch on half the internet”. Not the sort of people I want running my domain or hosting.

She must be referring to their massive Wordpress farm trying to kill the Internet with its infectious diseases. LOL.

Hostgator for us, forget how many years now.

I'm using Siteground for hosting. They have a domain registration service (though I am using Namecheap for that).

Wow. Tons of responses and information - thank you.
Not surprised people don't like Go Daddy, but surprised there isn't more consensus on options?

Hover for domain registration.
A droplet on DigitalOcean for hosting.

I don't like GoDaddy for several reasons, one of which not mentioned here is their propensity to push all kinds of add-on services in tricky ways and at often outrageous prices. (Not sure if this happens for domain registration as I've never used GoDaddy for that; but, it certainly happens on the hosting side.)

And what @PeterNSteinmetz said about tranferring domain registrars - your desired new registrar will make the transfer request; then, you'll follow various verification steps to permit your old registrar to execute the transfer.
Allow some time for this (like days, even weeks, to be safe)! I think it can be harder to wrest a domain from some registrars than others.

I’ve started using porkbun.com for domain registration, and Amazon Lightsail for web hosting. Dirt cheap and both work fine so far.
If you are using Lightsail you can also host the domain there (or use Route66 which is AWSs more general domain system).

I use Domaindiscover/TierraNet for Registration. Route66 for DNS hosting and DigitalOcean for site hosting.

One thing I suggest is to avoid getting other services from your name Registrar. If you get into a dispute with them say about email or web hosting they could hold your domain name hostage which could be inconvenient.

If you are using Lightsail you can also host the domain there (or use Route66 which is AWSs more general domain system).

Heh. Old thread but it’s Route 53.

(66 being the road, 53 being the default port number for DNS...) :)

I use NameSilo, but just for domain registration. I think they offer other services, but I don't need them. They're easy enough to deal with, cheap, and offer free privacy. No complaints.

Rich

Back