Alternatives to Gaston's

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
EdFred has suggested Osage Beach (K15) in Missouri.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...823,-92.677317&spn=0.019416,0.045662&t=h&z=15

Mark has suggested Petit Jean State Park (MPJ) in Arkansas

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...908695&spn=0.020179,0.045662&t=h&z=15&iwloc=A

I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but one of the attendees at Gaston's 09 suggested Rough River (2I3) in Kentucky

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...005,-86.503258&spn=0.009774,0.022831&t=k&z=16

http://parks.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/4D7BE87B-8BFA-4449-8E5A-F2C1BE7AE3F5/0/RoughRiver.pdf

http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/rr/meetings/

The rates at 2I3 are attractive so I suspect early reservations are a must. It appears to have most of what we want in a fly-in venue. I can't speak for the food service, though. If we contact them now we could probably get a good group rate provided we gave them a firm number of participants. I have not made any arrangements with 2I3 in that regard. We could also make reservations on an individual basis like we do now at Gaston's but I suspect we'd get a better overall deal if we went in together and reserved a banquet room for Saturday night.

Personally I'd rather not stay in a chain motel if at all possible. MPJ and 2I3 allow camping. K15 is in more of a commercial setting. MPJ has less in the way of guest services adjacent to the field.

Last edited:
MPJ has less in the way of guest services adjacent to the field.

About the only thing along the lines of 'guest services adjacent to the field' at MPJ is a separated mens/womens shower house. It's in decent shape compared to most state park shower houses I've seen. Not much else at the airport, though. :(

I really don't think out-right switching the event location would be a good idea. If someone wants to organize another fly-in at one of these locations to "test it out". Perhaps, over time, we could move the Gastons event.

For the most part, Gastons works really well, with the restraunt being the only fault. Few places can compete with Gastons when it comes to all the other services that they provide us. (location, runway to sit beside, do whatever with no one complaining, coolers with ice, decent cabins to stay in, etc)

If we switched locations we'd likely have more issues than a slow restaurant with over-priced food.

For the most part, Gastons works really well, with the restraunt being the only fault. Few places can compete with Gastons when it comes to all the other services that they provide us. (location, runway to sit beside, do whatever with no one complaining, coolers with ice, decent cabins to stay in, etc)

+1...

The problem with 2I3 in Kentucky is that we probably won't see our Texas, OK, KS, and the other slow-goers show up. And I doubt the people that drive in (Danielle, Mark, Troy, etc...) will be up for that sort of road trip.

I really don't think out-right switching the event location would be a good idea. If someone wants to organize another fly-in at one of these locations to "test it out". Perhaps, over time, we could move the Gastons event.

If we switched locations we'd likely have more issues than a slow restaurant with over-priced food.

+ 2

I agree for the most part, but I wouldn't say the restaurant is the only fault, it is however a major one. Switching locations however does not automatically equal problems. Although at a paved strip we won't get to see the amphibitruck.

Last edited:
An alternative my be Iowa City- Jay hangs out on the board and can tell us more. I've only been to the town once.

An alternative my be Iowa City- Jay hangs out on the board and can tell us more. I've only been to the town once.

Too far for the southern folk. 320ish miles from Dallas to Gastons, 580ish to Iowa City. And 900 miles for Dr Dave!

I attend several of these each year, and getting timely served good food for a group this big is always a challenge. Especially without firm advanced commitments and at a rural place. Them staffing for this can be a real challenge.

At some events I attend, dinner must be paid for well in advance. Some have more than one seating. Even in larger urban settings, this is a challenge.

I'd really suggest we think of alternatives for the food and leave the venue alone for now. Bringing in a third party vendor may conflict with what Jim would want out there. Have we asked Jim what can be done? At an annual dinner we put on each year in my business, we do a fish fry. It goes very well, but we have to commit to a number of meals and the only choices are sides. The meal is catfish. There is a burger alternative for not fish eaters, but that's it.

Gaston's is trying to serve a menu with wide variety without confirmed attendees. Seems if it could be simplified and with firmer commitments, that could be an option.

Best,

Dave

I've never been to Gastons although I'm considering it next year (there's always next year). My thought is that you don't go there for the food, do you? You can always fill up on those cookies I keep hearing about. Think of it like a rubber chicken banquet at some event. You're there for the event, not the chicken. I went to a banquet last night and the food wasn't worth the $40 I paid for it but the event was.

I've never been to Gastons although I'm considering it next year (there's always next year). My thought is that you don't go there for the food, do you? You can always fill up on those cookies I keep hearing about. Think of it like a rubber chicken banquet at some event. You're there for the event, not the chicken. I went to a banquet last night and the food wasn't worth the $40 I paid for it but the event was.

+1!!!!

I attend several of these each year, and getting timely served good food for a group this big is always a challenge. Especially without firm advanced commitments and at a rural place. Them staffing for this can be a real challenge.

At some events I attend, dinner must be paid for well in advance. Some have more than one seating. Even in larger urban settings, this is a challenge.

I'd really suggest we think of alternatives for the food and leave the venue alone for now. Bringing in a third party vendor may conflict with what Jim would want out there. Have we asked Jim what can be done? At an annual dinner we put on each year in my business, we do a fish fry. It goes very well, but we have to commit to a number of meals and the only choices are sides. The meal is catfish. There is a burger alternative for not fish eaters, but that's it.

Gaston's is trying to serve a menu with wide variety without confirmed attendees. Seems if it could be simplified and with firmer commitments, that could be an option.

Best,

Dave

Exactly. I spent 6 years in a restaurant and there is no better way to mess up a cook's night than slam them with 40 or 50 orders that all want to be out at the same time. it is impossible. first im sure they don't have the capacity in terms of cooking surface and help to physically be able to do it. that means that some tables are going to get served first and some last. then they do their best to get each tables food out at the same time. sometimes this works good, sometimes it doesnt. usually it depends on what the people at the table ordered. 8 steaks, medium well? no problem! of course they still have to deal with cooking all the other tables food, at the same time. making 40 specialty orders instantaneously is asking for trouble in almost any kitchen.

I should go over there sometime during the week. id bet a dollar that the food is a lot better when you are alone.

I should go over there sometime during the week. id bet a dollar that the food is a lot better when you are alone.

The $20 hamburger for lunch wasn't so great, and there was no one in there.

I think moving the event 300nm ENE will pick up more new participants than losing current ones. And, it's been demonstrated several times already that distance has not always been a show stopper for those that want to attend (to which Kath can attest).

I think everyone should carefully read over the all information about 2I3 at

before dismissing it out of hand.

I bring to your attention particularly the following:

Grayson’s Landing Restaurant is located on our lower level in the main lodge (elevator available). Carpet was replaced in 2007. A new menu features Kentucky cuisine.

This intimate restaurant is anchored by expansive windows overlooking the rocky waters of the lake. The view in the summer features lush foliage and florals. The winter view features icy sculptures made by the water freezing on the rocks. Seats 167 including a private dining area for up to 35. We offer seasonal and specialty buffets, other buffets may be offered at the chef’s discretion.

Banquet dining for up to 400. Full banquet menu is available, including private buffet options, or customize your menu with our chef. Cookouts for groups of 40 or more; you may pick from various locations for a cook-out under the tent, or go with the popular choice of the beach-side shelter. (emphasis mine)

Chef Steve Connell is a native of Louisville. He has an associate’s degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales University and has worked at several fine dining establishments since completing his degree. Steve feels that fine dining cuisine is his specialty. Through the latitude he has been given with food in the past, Steve has developed into a first class chef and kept the job interesting along the way.

This location is very family friendly and provides virtually all of the same amenities of 3M0, plus more. Golfing, boating, fishing, swimming pool and beach, nature trails, private banquet rooms, and even a dam (which seems to have become a prerequisite for this crowd).

I have no vested interest in moving the event other than to try to address people's concerns.

If someone has a better idea, please jump in.

Last edited:
I Carpet was replaced in 2007.

Well that does it for me. I'm in!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Steve I just had too. FWIW thanks for your efforts here. Picking up the ball and running with it can be a bit frustrating.

If you only knew about the carpet in Gaston's cabin #74.....:D

It's more like dodgeball with this group...:smilewinkgrin:

Well that does it for me. I'm in!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Steve I just had too. FWIW thanks for your efforts here. Picking up the ball and running with it can be a bit frustrating.

I wouldn't say we should move the Gaston's event. However, I am always in favor of making more events. You all are some of my favorite people and the more chances I get to see you all in a year (and the more excuses I have to fly my Aztec to such events) the better. :)

So rather than a Gaston's "alternative", how about scheduling a fly-in for one of the currently vacant months of either March or October?

Something in the midwest during fall is a good idea. Best wx of the year in this area.

I would go for any of the suggested. For KY, I'd just pack a bicycle (disassembled, of course).

While you may get more participants, you are missing one small point; many of the folks that started this event like going to Gaston's. As had been said, maybe another event, elsewhere would benefit some new folks. Part of the cashe of this event, is how it all came together on an impromptu basis, how it continues to be attractive to most who attend and how much work many folks that now attend put in to make it fun. If you wish to begin a new one, you'll need lots of worker bees and will have to build stories over the years that have come surround the current site.

Will there be eligible brides maids willing to take evening flights with single pilots at the new place? A dam to meet and have a few drinks at? Fires behind Barons one evening?

Lots to consider <g>

Best,

Dave

Ed posted this airport on another thread as a possible new location, http://www.airnav.com/airport/K15 This might be a good one for a late March/early October fly-in instead of a replacement for Gaston's.
I talked to the airport manager and he is willing to do just about whatever it takes to get us there. There are three Motels within walking distance of the FBO and there are 7 places to eat and two C stores. Camping is allowed at the airport for those that want to sleep with their airplane. If we want to do a Saturday night cookout, he will provide shelter tents and help arrange Bandannas BBQ to cater for us. He will also get the local Lions Club to cook a pancake breakfast for us on Sunday Morning on a pay per plate deal. And provide portable facilities for the campers and fuel discounts.

Last edited:
I ran a restaurant operation for 5 years, and went to all the shows and events in Dallas. The quality of the food from the kitchen is dependent on the grade they order from the supplier. All the entrees come frozen in a bag and are thawed, nuked and served. You could order that chicken-fried steak every day of the year and twice on Sunday and it would still be prison grade. Just sign me

Salad Bar Wayne

Exactly. I spent 6 years in a restaurant and there is no better way to mess up a cook's night than slam them with 40 or 50 orders that all want to be out at the same time. it is impossible. first im sure they don't have the capacity in terms of cooking surface and help to physically be able to do it. that means that some tables are going to get served first and some last. then they do their best to get each tables food out at the same time. sometimes this works good, sometimes it doesnt. usually it depends on what the people at the table ordered. 8 steaks, medium well? no problem! of course they still have to deal with cooking all the other tables food, at the same time. making 40 specialty orders instantaneously is asking for trouble in almost any kitchen.

While I have only attended 2 of the several Gaston's and enjoyed both from the aspect of the fellowship and the site's amenities. It would be nice to try another spot or a second flyin. this place seems nice as presented by Steve and I have heard from other pilot's that it is a very nice destination.

I think moving the event 300nm ENE will pick up more new participants than losing current ones. And, it's been demonstrated several times already that distance has not always been a show stopper for those that want to attend (to which Kath can attest).

I bring to your attention particularly the following:

Grayson’s Landing Restaurant is located on our lower level in the main lodge (elevator available). Carpet was replaced in 2007. A new menu features Kentucky cuisine.

This intimate restaurant is anchored by expansive windows overlooking the rocky waters of the lake. The view in the summer features lush foliage and florals. The winter view features icy sculptures made by the water freezing on the rocks. Seats 167 including a private dining area for up to 35. We offer seasonal and specialty buffets, other buffets may be offered at the chef’s discretion.

Banquet dining for up to 400. Full banquet menu is available, including private buffet options, or customize your menu with our chef. Cookouts for groups of 40 or more; you may pick from various locations for a cook-out under the tent, or go with the popular choice of the beach-side shelter. (emphasis mine)

Chef Steve Connell is a native of Louisville. He has an associate’s degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales University and has worked at several fine dining establishments since completing his degree. Steve feels that fine dining cuisine is his specialty. Through the latitude he has been given with food in the past, Steve has developed into a first class chef and kept the job interesting along the way.

This location is very family friendly and provides virtually all of the same amenities of 3M0, plus more. Golfing, boating, fishing, swimming pool and beach, nature trails, private banquet rooms, and even a dam (which seems to have become a prerequisite for this crowd).

I have no vested interest in moving the event other than to try to address people's concerns.

If someone has a better idea, please jump in.

Ed posted this airport on another thread as a possible new location, http://www.airnav.com/airport/K15 This might be a good one for a late March/early October fly-in instead of a replacement for Gaston's.
I talked to the airport manager and he is willing to do just about whatever it takes to get us there. There are three Motels within walking distance of the FBO and there are 7 places to eat and two C stores. Camping is allowed at the airport for those that want to sleep with their airplane. If we want to do a Saturday night cookout, he will provide shelter tents and help arrange Bandannas BBQ to cater for us. He will also get the local Lions Club to cook a pancake breakfast for us on Sunday Morning on a pay per plate deal. And provide portable facilities for the campers and fuel discounts.

You'll never hear that from Gastons!!

You'll never hear that from Gastons!!

That's true, but I look at it as Gaston's is a fishing resort that just happens to have an airstrip. Mr. Gaston makes his living off of fisherman and really does'nt care if we pilots show up or not. The Grand Glaize airport does'nt have an another source of income. Without pilots and plane owners they go out of business, so he is willing to do what it takes to get us there.

I'm with Dave. Gaston's is not lacking anything as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we could do a fly-out to dinner Saturday evening. That'd be fun!

While I have only attended 2 of the several Gaston's and enjoyed both from the aspect of the fellowship and the site's amenities. It would be nice to try another spot or a second flyin. this place seems nice as presented by Steve and I have heard from other pilot's that it is a very nice destination.

there are at least 2 additional fly ins organized chiefly through PoA through the summer. Wings FlyBQ in May and the 6Y9 Labor Day bash. Additionally there are often more local get togethers.

One thing i've discovered with PoA flyins: organize it and they will come.

Between SW Bonanza society, ABS, AvSig, SIMCOM, military reunions and visits to family I just don't know if I can work any more trips in. Sometime inbetween I have to run my businesses which aren't aviation related. So, I'll try, but Gaston's the second week in June is on my calander. Don't know if another fly in can make it.

Best,

Dave

I flew in there with a group several years ago. Seems like the resort drove to pick us up at the airport. When we went walking in the woods we managed to get into some seed ticks and walked out with 10,000 seed ticks on our shoes scurrying up to the rest of our body parts.

I enjoyed staying there overnight, but don't need to go back. But, that's just me. :)

I wouldn't say we should move the Gaston's event. However, I am always in favor of making more events. You all are some of my favorite people and the more chances I get to see you all in a year (and the more excuses I have to fly my Aztec to such events) the better. :)
:)

So rather than a Gaston's "alternative", how about scheduling a fly-in for one of the currently vacant months of either March or October?

Seems like I'm always scheduling something. :D

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23782

Tom and I really enjoyed Gaston's in the fall, but the days were much shorter. The food was better then too.

Cedar Mills was a neat place and I could see renting a cabin there. No fuel on the field, but there is some nearby. The restaurant was good. PLUS, the boys from Dallas made it. :D

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25552

Wayne doesn't start many threads, but this one was priceless. :D

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25594

I fly into Beaumont a lot for a meal and it also has a hotel...one of these days I'm going to spend the night there. There is NOTHING else to do at Beaumont and no fuel. But it's a cool place. :yes:

The Amana Colonies might be another choice. But, no fuel there either. It's a neat place, though.

Then there is this place:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/44M

I've flown in there for a fly-in and some of my friends have had a group overnight fly-in there.

If y'all don't show up at Gaston's next year, I'll let Ed Guthrie know...he has already booked a cabin for several days.

Diana said:
I fly into Beaumont a lot for a meal and it also has a hotel...one of these days I'm going to spend the night there. There is NOTHING else to do at Beaumont and no fuel. But it's a cool place. :yes:

We need to have AT LEAST a mini-fly-in at Beaumont...maybe nothing to do...but we could fly and visit and eat and sleep and fly and visit and eat and sleep...:yes:

If y'all don't show up at Gaston's next year, I'll let Ed Guthrie know...he has already booked a cabin for several days.

If Ed's going to Gaston's, I'm going, too...I like that guy...;)

I'll ask the Midwest Bonanza Society where they are going. They like a place in Kentucky last year. Larry Olsen came to Gaston's last year from the Midwest Society and declined to book there. The group is a bit different; they do prefer a paved runway with better aviation services, but I'll ask and report what they say.

Best,

Dave

We need to have AT LEAST a mini-fly-in at Beaumont...maybe nothing to do...but we could fly and visit and eat and sleep and fly and visit and eat and sleep...:yes:
Yep. :yes: Let's do it!

If Ed's going to Gaston's, I'm going, too...I like that guy...;)

Well Kim i'm with you. Besides i can fly Ed's mooney and get Complex time:D, I get along with Ed very well,i should have taken him up on Gaston's this year but had other commitments, Maybe next year my life will be less complicated.

Dave G.:blueplane:

Back