Alternatives to Fitbit Charge4?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
I've had a Fitbit Charge4 for 2-3 years and it seems to have stopped syncing. If I have to replace it, what's better? Looking for info and suggestions, please.

Mostly used for:
Sleep tracking (Charge4 seemed consistent)
Steps (Charge4 was awful - it counted hand waves, not steps)
Recording Heart Rate activity, as I start doing more aerobic exercise (Didn't really use Charge4)
Maybe GPS route tracking for runs, bike rides, or hikes (Charge4 was inconsistent and often doubled the distance)

What's out there?
What other features should I look for?
Thanks!

Every fitbit my wife and I have had has died roughly coincident with the warranty expiration. We switched to Apple Watches. I don't wear mine to bed so I can't vouch for sleep tracking, but mine is pretty accurate on walking and heart rate.

I had a little Garmin vivo something or another for a few years...can't remember exactly what it was called...vivosport maybe. It had it's own built in GPS and did a pretty decent job of tracking steps, heart rate, tracking runs and walks, etc.... Garmin has a pretty decent phone app for data analysis & It sync's with the myfitnesspal phone app to track calories. I liked it functionally....until the band broke. No fix for that. Stupid design.
Looks like their new equal is called vivosmart 5...except looks like that one does NOT have the GPS built in.

Anyway, when I couldn't get that one fixed I found a fenix 6 saphire on ebay....used but it didn't have a scratch on it. Backlight didn't work when I received it....thought about returning it to the seller but when I called Garmin about repair cost, they fixed it (or perhaps replaced) under warranty for some nominal charge. I was up front with then about having bought it used from ebay. Anyway, it was a whole lot more money but I got a pretty good deal compared to new. It does all the vivo thing did + a whole lot more.
I haven't been running with it nearly like I did with the vivo....but I have been very happy with the garmin stuff. They have a ton of different models and styles to choose from...but I suppose most are more watch like than fit bit like....

edit: I should have added, the fenix does quite a lot for tracking sleep and health.

I just bought a Garmin Fenix 7. I like it. It's probably more info than I need, but I just used it on its maiden run this morning, and it did great. Still some buttonology I have to get comfortable with, but overall pretty happy.

Wife likes her Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. I don't have one so I can't speak to its pros/cons.

I have been using the Apple Watch for years.other than sleeping with it,I’m happy with the functions for exercise. I had fit bit initially and didn’t like it.

Back