Alternatives to expensive charters

As long as the aircraft and pilot are not related it is perfectly legal. You provide the plane and they provide their piloting services.

There are a couple of flight schools in Denver area that have 135 certs, iirc.

Our SR-20 is 125 dry.

Whoops, we have one -22 now; our rates seem to have dropped a bit recently, don’t know why. .

2019 Cirrus SR20 $320
2015 Cirrus SR20 $300
2015 Cirrus SR20 $300
2008 Cirrus SR20 $260
2019 Cirrus SR22 $400 (dry)

They stay pretty busy at these prices.

I just think that one-size-fits all approach for 135 operator should be revisited. Operators that limit themselves to 5 passengers/plane or less should have less red tape keeping them from operating.

I just think that one-size-fits all approach for 135 operator should be revisited. Operators that limit themselves to 5 passengers/plane or less should have less red tape keeping them from operating.

They do. Single Pilot Part 135 has fewer requirements than a Part 135 Basic. Also, single pilot 135 VFR has fewer requirements than an IFR certificate.

Like many things, it’s not so much the regulatory issues as it is the market. 30 years ago you could still sell enough Saratoga or Bonanza charters (Cirrus in today’s parlance) to make it worthwhile having one around. That market is almost dead right now.

Last edited:
Back