Alternative Color Vision Testing Frequency

B

Brian Neenan

Private Pilot about to start Instrument and then Commercial. I had the restriction on my original medical but have since passed one of the alternative color vision tests. I have the letter stating I passed and the restriction is currently removed. Is it true that I have to get the test done again and again for each medical? My Dr. stated color vision never changes, it is what it is. Zero need to take it again. Does the FAA require I retake the same test each time as I can't find this info anywhere. TIA.

What does your AME have to say? Isn't he the one properly equipped to answer questions such as this?

Private Pilot about to start Instrument and then Commercial. I had the restriction on my original medical but have since passed one of the alternative color vision tests. I have the letter stating I passed and the restriction is currently removed. Is it true that I have to get the test done again and again for each medical? My Dr. stated color vision never changes, it is what it is. Zero need to take it again. Does the FAA require I retake the same test each time as I can't find this info anywhere. TIA.
If you don’t go to the airport and do the light gun test you’ll have to do it every time you get a medical. If you do the light gun test it’s a one-time deal and you’ll never have to test again. However, you mentioned commercial which means you’ll also have to do a flying component and ID the color of things around the airport from the plane for an unrestricted 1st or 2nd class. Probably makes the most sense to just do that one right away...just make sure you PRACTICE A LOT and you’ll have no issues.

I did light guns - it is a permanent waiver. I didn't know that the other alternative tests were required for every medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back