Alon A2 Transition

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
I have about 100 hours in my book and currently all of it is in a Piper Warrior II. I've been offered an extremely cost-effective partnership in a Alon A2 Air Coupe with rudder pedals and a Continental C90. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what the transitional experience would be like?

Get in and go. I had one Ercoupe student with only one eye; I had two that were paraplegics; I had one with limited use of his left arm (special issuance).

Enjoy! Just don't be in a hurry.

Bob Gardner

I've owned an Alon for almost 15 years. Like the others said, very easy to fly, especially since you're coming from another low wing aircraft. Really a fun bird, the canopy can be slid back at 100 mph or less which is great in the pattern on a hot day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are near central/southern ohio, there are a couple of brothers who own a 1650' grass strip that own two Ercoupes and a Chief. They are having a party/flyin Saturday afternoon and would welcome you as a guest. One of the coupes is fully restored and done in a military scheme, beautiful plane. Belonged to their Dad.

And it will keep up with the C150/172 crowd. The Mooneys get to sleep in an extra couple of hours!

Pretty much like transitioning to any other plane of that class -- an hour or two on the ground learning all the systems and preflight, then maybe an hour and a half or two hours in the air on control and maneuvering, emergency procedures, and all types of takeoffs and landings.

My first plane was a Forney F1A Aircoupe (virtually identical) and I still miss it more than any other plane I've owned in the last 40 years. My only complaint is that I was never able to join the mile-high club in it, although we tried mightily. :dunno::confused::(

You'd have to try REALLY hard to make a bad landing.

My only complaint is that I was never able to join the mile-high club in it, although we tried mightily.
Yes, my Alon also struggles to get above 5000 feet with a pax.

You'd have to try REALLY hard to make a bad landing.
As others said, very easy to fly. A friend of mine in college solo'd in my ercoupe in 3+ hours having never flown before.

however, you CAN make a bad landing because the elevator travel is limited. If you get to slow you can hit the nosewheel really hard. That's why so many ercoupes have wrinkles in the fuselage skin just ahead of the wing leading edge.

Yes, my Alon also struggles to get above 5000 feet with a pax.

In 7 years of ownership, we actually got to 10,000' one time. No sooner had we leveled off than my girlfriend sheepishly told me she had to pee -- took a lot less time to lose 10,000' than to gain it. :lol:

Back