Almost tied the record for low passes

Unbeliever

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Unbeliever
Almost tied the record for low passes (now from the cockpit!)

Almost tied the record for low passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebBjs507Yc

Check the grass (and probably the ground guy's underwear) after the pass.

--Carlos V.

ETA:
And now, the same pass, from the cockpit:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc5_1307433924

Good thing those guys on the ground were fleet footed. He almost had a couple new hood ornaments installed at 300KTS.

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
LowFly_1.jpg

LowFly_2.jpg

--Carlos V.

The most interesting Pilot in the world can beat the record for low pass, every time he tries, and live to do it again

That's a bit low for a jet. Rabbits jump when they spook....

I was thinking FOD also. But the grass.....it'll grow back.......

Guy's got stones. But yeah, at that height you could wind up ingesting critters. Not a lot of time to do anything but die.

Guy's got stones. But yeah, at that height you could wind up ingesting critters. Not a lot of time to do anything but die.

The weight of which made the plane fly that low, apparently. (stolen from a comment on the YT video)

Hey its not a good low pass if the spectators don't hit the deck

Hey its not a good low pass if the spectators don't hit the deck

So if I wanted a glider to sneak around with and crack people in the back of the head with, which one would you recommend? Is there one with 40* winglets I could sharpen and maybe put a blade in the leading edge of?

So if I wanted a glider to sneak around with and crack people in the back of the head with...

Gliders making a high-speed low pass sound pretty cool. I think you'd end up whacking people in the side of the head more than the back, because they'd start to turn their heads to see what's making that noise.

Hoover's Shrike Commander routine sounded like a glider, but with a big "whoomp" of a much heavier aircraft gliding by. I'll never forget that sound... so cool...

So if I wanted a glider to sneak around with and crack people in the back of the head with, which one would you recommend? Is there one with 40* winglets I could sharpen and maybe put a blade in the leading edge of?

any ballasted racing glider built in the last 30 or 40 years should fit the bill. load it up with water, hit the deck at redline and you've got enough kinetic energy to pull up and make a pattern to land.

I admit it...I simply am not that good. Once that low it is really hard to judge true height above the ground and any, ANY, small deviation leaves a smoking crater.

No thanks...he can have those bragging rights.

I admit it...I simply am not that good. Once that low it is really hard to judge true height above the ground and any, ANY, small deviation leaves a smoking crater.

No thanks...he can have those bragging rights.

Actually, the closer to the gound you are the easier it it to judge the distance because it comes into our normal field of reference and the binocular distinction between the eyes and the reference point grows greater.

As for smoking hole, at his angle and inertia he would have bounced if it was just a slight misjudgement in height.

And now, the same pass, from the cockpit:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc5_1307433924

Good thing those guys on the ground were fleet footed. He almost had a couple new hood ornaments installed at 300KTS.

They were running in opposite directions.....

ETA: Looks like the velocity vector nicely circled at least 2 of them before they got out of the way.

--Carlos V.

Last edited:
Back