Almost ready to soar again...

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Today four of the club members gathered at 47N to pull the 1-26 out of its new winter home (a shipping container it shares with the 2-33), and we got it assembled without mishap. Nothing missing and nothing left over, LOL. We also finally addressed the wonky canopy frame, making it easier to close and latch from the inside. The 46-year old foam rubber seat cushions will be getting replaced, too, and the fabric covers for them laundered for possibly the first time ever, LOL!

Obviously, not being tied down outside all winter was beneficial, but curiously, a little mold (on the wooden seat back in the case of the 1-26) was found this year... the container is in great shape, with a tight door seal, but maybe too tight. We buttoned it up on a dry day last winter, but I guess there was enough moisture to allow the mold to grow.
No big deal, though, and the fabric and other plywood parts of the glider seem unaffected.

The 2-33 will be tackled sometime in the next month or so- the new paint job on the wings needs some touchup first, and we will ideally need a few more hands for assembly, as the wings are bigger and the struts complicate things a bit.

Good to see 03W back out on the grass, ready to fly. It was less than 2500 broken today, with negligible wind... I would have happily taken a pattern hop, but the qualified tow pilots couldn't stay to do that. :sad:

But soon enough... the whole season awaits!! Got my fingers crossed for a lot more flight time this year, going higher and roaming farther. :)

But soon enough... the whole season awaits!! Got my fingers crossed for a lot more flight time this year, going higher and roaming farther. :)

Awesome! It feels like this is going to be a better soaring season than the last. We've already had a few good days here in Virginia since starting glider operations back up last month.

I told myself I'd get a glider add-on this summer, but now I'll probably be flight instructing full-time (day job versus my old evening job), so I'll have to put it on hold...

We've had a couple of flights already. We'll be putting the 2-33 back together in a couple of weekends.

N888LP passed it's condition inspection today. Hopefully, will soar this weekend.

ahh... Spring is in the air...

We've been flying all winter, to us spring means high winds as the last of the fronts come through.. sadly they are out of cycle with our work weeks and the winds hit on weekends.. essentially grounding us with 30-40 knot winds...

"March comes in like a Lion, .. then April cried :sad: and stepped aside and along came pretty little May.." :rolleyes2:

Back