Almost new engine

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
Just saw my almost new engine hanging on the nose of theOl'Cherokee last night.Awesome!

Cases O/H by Divco $700,new crank $2,950, new Lyc cyls $4200,new cam $500, new connecting rods $380,new Sky-tec starter $418, new lifters/tappets $600,all new baffles $1,200,etc.,etc.,etc.----- the look on my wife's face after looking at all the bills---:incazzato:PRICELESS
Oh Yeah 3 new tires that she hasn't seen the bill yet.

I think this is my "OhMama GA stimulus package" for 2010.
But wait there's more to come for 2011, let's see I'll need a new digital EI tach, a new EI oil temp/pressure gauge, where's my catalogs I'm going to need a--------------- new book of checks.
Sorry Craig ,I can't send any money in to AOPA to help save Aviation this year, I think I've already done that.:thumbsup:

Be careful. Freshly overhauled engines have far more mechanical barfles than their mid and high time brethren.

Just saw my almost new engine hanging on the nose of theOl'Cherokee last night.Awesome!

Cases O/H by Divco $700,new crank $2,950, new Lyc cyls $4200,new cam $500, new connecting rods $380,new Sky-tec starter $418, new lifters/tappets $600,all new baffles $1,200,etc.,etc.,etc.----- the look on my wife's face after looking at all the bills---:incazzato:PRICELESS
Oh Yeah 3 new tires that she hasn't seen the bill yet.

I think this is my "OhMama GA stimulus package" for 2010.
But wait there's more to come for 2011, let's see I'll need a new digital EI tach, a new EI oil temp/pressure gauge, where's my catalogs I'm going to need a--------------- new book of checks.
Sorry Craig ,I can't send any money in to AOPA to help save Aviation this year, I think I've already done that.:thumbsup:
The best way to make a little money in aviation is to start with a lot. I did a Factory rebuild swap, prop "tune up", new alternator, and a new interior. One of the many bills the wife didn't see that year! Never quite managed to start a maintenance account. But then, my truck is handled the same way; just smaller amounts.

With my cherokee 140, I stopped keeping track when it hit $23,000 for Penn Yan overhaul to new specs, 160hp STC, new lyc cylinders, new alternator, new windshields, engine mount overhaul, prop re-pitch & overhaul, replaced yokes, new fluid lines, etc etc.

Are we nuts? The Tiger goes in for annual this week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Are we nuts? The Tiger goes in for annual this week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Nuts? absolutely. I had a great time working with the two A&Ps removing the engine, crawling under the instrument panel, running new brake lines, fuel lines, etc. (ok, I didn't enjoy running new p-leads). We did the work in a heated hangar over a period of approximately 7 months.

We are all definately nuts.

But I enjoyed turning wrenches, applying LPS-2, painting, and the rest.

It just dragged on through some gorgeous flying weather in October, though. I'm going to reschedule my Annual for Feburary.

The club's 172N is out of service for its annual inspection. Comes back next week. The 182P gets taken out of service tomorrow for its annual. What will this cost the club? I don't know. Probably see the numbers at the annual meeting in March. We've got a reserve to cover it, so unless something catastrophic comes up, who cares? I love club membership. :D

Nuts? absolutely. I had a great time working with the two A&Ps removing the engine, crawling under the instrument panel, running new brake lines, fuel lines, etc. (ok, I didn't enjoy running new p-leads). We did the work in a heated hangar over a period of approximately 7 months.

Yep,I like turning wrenches, I pulled the engine, missed the dissesemble, watch the re assemble, really got to check it inside out. I believe it helps you respect your airplane to actually know what whirring around inside at 2700 rpm. The only thing I'm amazed at is no bushings for the camshaft,just spins around in the aluminum. About the only thing I would change IMHO. Lyc.0-360 nice and simple.

Yep,I like turning wrenches, I pulled the engine, missed the dissesemble, watch the re assemble, really got to check it inside out. I believe it helps you respect your airplane to actually know what whirring around inside at 2700 rpm. The only thing I'm amazed at is no bushings for the camshaft,just spins around in the aluminum. About the only thing I would change IMHO. Lyc.0-360 nice and simple.

You sure there are no babbitt bearing inserts in there????

You sure there are no babbitt bearing inserts in there????
Nope, none in there. Maybe Tom can explain the reasoning. The only way to fix it is to align bore the case, after a certain amount of rebores the cases need to be scrapped. This is about the only thing that seems a little flaky with the design other than it's minimal lube of the cam and valve jobs would be easier if they had removable heads like VW engines.

Back