Almost finished with annual

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I almost got done with the Vikings' annual today. The tires I ordered where wrong (My fault) I ordered a 15/600x6 instead of I guess 600/600x6. I already had one 600x6 I was trying to match a Good year flight special II. Now I have to reorder. New tubes where wrong too.

I re-weighed the plane because I took so many of the old radios out along with a lot of wiring and ADF antennas. I was hoping for a lighter plane. come to find out I was 100# heavier than last time it was weighed. I think the last owner painted it without removing the old paint. I used those fancy electronic scales that cost $3,000.00 so I am hoping they are correct. It is hard to believe after all the stuff I took out that it is still 100# heavier. From the factory it was 1893# now it is 2135#. I may look into this more and find out where the extra weight came from. Maybe a strip and re-paint is in order.:dunno:

Dan

Out of curiosity, how much does a paint job weigh?

my A&P is confident I can easily lose 10-15 lbs on the glider by recovering. the glider has a couple extra coats of fabric rejuvinator/paint over the old paint job. Viking has a lot more surface area than my glider...

I almost got done with the Vikings' annual today. The tires I ordered where wrong (My fault) I ordered a 15/600x6 instead of I guess 600/600x6. I already had one 600x6 I was trying to match a Good year flight special II. Now I have to reorder. New tubes where wrong too.

I re-weighed the plane because I took so many of the old radios out along with a lot of wiring and ADF antennas. I was hoping for a lighter plane. come to find out I was 100# heavier than last time it was weighed. I think the last owner painted it without removing the old paint. I used those fancy electronic scales that cost $3,000.00 so I am hoping they are correct. It is hard to believe after all the stuff I took out that it is still 100# heavier. From the factory it was 1893# now it is 2135#. I may look into this more and find out where the extra weight came from. Maybe a strip and re-paint is in order.:dunno:

Dan

There is probably about 45lbs of weight in excess paint, you've got more looking to do.... Have you done a moisture test on the wood? Have you cleaned the crud out of the belly? Did you add a turbo you forgot about?

There is probably about 45lbs of weight in excess paint, you've got more looking to do.... Have you done a moisture test on the wood? Have you cleaned the crud out of the belly? Did you add a turbo you forgot about?

Didn't add the turbo yet, I did add a DVD player and overhead screen I forgot about. I did remember taking out the ADF antenna and thinking wow I'm going to save a lot there.

I was going to clean up the belly outside while I had it up for the tires. I should have done that before but I had to get the scales back. The inside is very clean. I went through the whole plane on the inside and removed anything that did not need to be there. There was a copper cable from the old battery spot 10 feet or so that came out. I will check the wood. Even taking off 50# for paint that leaves 150# for moisture that seems like a lot. The CG moved back which co-insides with lighter radios. I am going to check the rear fuel tank. I thought I had it empty.

Dan

Not criticizing but everyone I've ever talked to about it have advised to >never< re-weigh the plane and be content with the calculations ;)

Must be some serious brainfreeze up there....:p
Ever known anyone with a typical GA plane more than a few years old that actually weighed less on the scales than on the W&B?

Of course for safety sake one wants to be as accurate as possible......................................................:fcross:

I had my 1963 Cherokee reweighed in Sept. 07. It lost 12 lbs since 1983 (last reweigh). Most of that was the clunk-o-junk radios I tossed.

To the OP, I 2nd checking the MC of the wood.

Last edited:
Sounds like the typical misstake of not subtracting the tear weight.

or

Not zeroing the scales first.

Moisture content of the wood will not be 150 pounds. figure that in gallons and remember the aircraft only has a wooden wing, (the fuselage is not wooden it's steel tube) it is an impossibility to carry that much water in the wood.

Never guess how much fuel was in the tanks, fill to the rim, and subtract the full amount. that is including the header tank.

Back