All things end

Sorry to hear. I enjoyed landing there, since it is near a good bagel shop.

Carp.

I may have to make one last trip out there before it closes, if for no other reason than I learned to fly there.

Looks like a nice airport with lots of planes based there. Wonder where all those planes will go.

Got my first airplane ride there at age 5, in a C182. Hope to make one more trip there.

Was just there for dinner. Best chili in the multiverse.

If there are enough aircraft based there, perhaps the pilots can get together and purchase/lease the airport? Run it like a co-op.

Nope, Cincinnati was offered several million dollars more for the airport by a private firm than Blue Ash did,

Cincinnati turned down the offer and now the airport is closing...

Now we have drama as Cincinnati tries to scheme a way to spend the money from the sale on an ill advised street car.

News as I get it.

Now we have drama as Cincinnati tries to scheme a way to spend the money from the sale on an ill advised street car.

News as I get it.

I thought the voters rejected the streetcar?

They rejected paying for it, so now we have this...

Then they're still paying for the boondoggle - if they didn't build it, the money would be used for the airport as a capital investment....

City council is foolish, but I've been saying that since I lived there. How long unitl the first shooting on-board as the tram goes through OTR? :(

But but but if we run a street car through OTR then the crime will go away!

But but but if we run a street car through OTR then the crime will go away!

Remember they were going to try that with the baseball stadium... at least common sense won out on that one

Well, I guess I picked the right airport to base the 310 at.

Sad. :(

I know nothing about this, but it sure looks like a prime location. It feels a lot like the city thinks tax revenue from whatever will go in its place trumps keeping it.

I know nothing about this, but it sure looks like a prime location. It feels a lot like the city thinks tax revenue from whatever will go in its place trumps keeping it.

Not tax revenue, per-se, but sale value of the underlying land if sold for offices. The area around ISZ has a number of relatively high-value corporate office buildings. While I have great affection for ISZ, my estimation of the land value alone exceeds the NPV of the revenue stream provided to the city of Cincinnati for the airport.

This is especially true with the airport located wholly within the city of Blue Ash while being owned by the city of Cincinnati. Most outside economic activity generated by the airport benefits Blue Ash, not Cincinnati.

And that is the crux of the problem. While Cincinnati was willling to let part of the land go for a park at a reasonable price, the remainder is adjacent to an office complex. They have set the price of that parcel (which happens to have the runway....) at a significantly higher price - a price that is a problem for Blue Ash.

When you consider that the runway length is only 3499', it's below the desirable length for most turbine (jet) operations that generally want 5000'. From the view of Cincinnati, they'd rather drive the traffic to Lunken (more traffic, less investment); from the view of Blue Ash, the economic value is limited because of runway length. Yes, it's the closest airport to GEAE, but you're not getting a BBJ, Hawker, or a freight hauler in there (or more specifically, you're not getting them out of there. Even LUK is problematic for a G-IV that's loaded for international flight.

That doesn't diminish the loss for the GA community - we're losing a great asset. Economically, it's much harder to make the case to keep the airport.

Especially hard when the airport has been neglected that last decade or so. Due to its prime location it would not be hard to make money on the airport. All it would take is accepting the many millions of federal funds earmarked for the airport. Use it to refinish the runway and taxiways and build a few rows of T hangars. The demand is there. There is also room for about another 500ft of runway. This would atleast allow some of the turbo props in and out under 135.

Thing is because the city of Cincinnati is trying to siphon the money off the sale of the airport the FAA is hanging on to it's money now.

Duncan, I agree the demand is there, especially for the T-Hangars. Probably some other business, too. I think Cincinnati is being foolish. Not sure where the other 500' will come from, seems to me that the fit is pretty tight as it is. And I'd bet that the folks that live nearby would just love the additional traffic....

Without the Part 135 traffic, I still think that the economic value of the airport will be hard-pressed against the value of selling the land for offices. That equation changes a whole lot if the FAA gets their money back....

Don't remember who looked into the extra runway but a little at each end makes a difference!

An investment firm thought enough of the airport to offer Cincinnati 40 (yes four zero!) million for it. They took 18 financed for 30 years from Blue ash instead...

Don't remember who looked into the extra runway but a little at each end makes a difference!

The only place I think it could go would be the approach end of 24, and it would probably require a displaced threshold so as to avoid issues crossing that intersection. And a blast fence for takeoff (assuming turbine traffic). Might be OK for some 135, but IIRC most jets want 5000 for insurance purposes.

An investment firm thought enough of the airport to offer Cincinnati 40 (yes four zero!) million for it. They took 18 financed for 30 years from Blue ash instead...

Was the 40 for the whole airport, or only part? Didn't Cincy sell only about half to Blue Ash? If so, then 40 for the whole thing would be comparable on a per-acre basis. My bet is that Cincy thinks the portion closer to the office park is worth a LOT more.....

40 for all vs 18 for about 2/3-3/4

This was also cash, no financing...

They keep ignoring that Blue Ash didn't pay that much, they paid 18 million but Cincinnati financed them for 30 years, gonna be a while before they get all the money...

I'm thinking about a "last trip" in my plane to ISZ tomorrow. Assuming wx looks good in the AM, I'll make the round trip to be there midday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Duncan, will there be fuel at ISZ tomorrow (Sunday)?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I ended up not going due to weather. If I get the prop back in time, will try again before the 29th.

Back