All things being equal, do you think Ft. Lauderdale or Dallas has better weather to flight instruct?

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
Very seriously considering instructing at American Flyers in either Pompano Beach or Dallas. I know there is a lot of flight training that goes on in Florida but I haven't lived there in over a decade and it seems lately that they are getting hit left and right with tropical depressions/storms and hurricanes. All other things being equal (amount of students etc) where do you think I have a higher chance of building hours quickly? I love Florida, but I know Dallas is a bit cheaper too.

Want to build hours quickly in the DFW area, then talk to the recruiter at US Aviation Academy in Denton, TX.

With their extremely active program pushing the Chinese students through their paces, it's not long before you'll have lots of SEL and MEL time and a chance to be in their King Air program. They are also one of the schools that Envoy has partnered with. So lots of AA Cadets in their system.

I was there yesterday visiting with my former instructor who now works there and was introduced to the chief pilot when he walked by. He informed me they are actively recruiting as they lose instructors to the airlines a bit faster than some of the other regional training centers. In some cases, he explained, the instructors get what they need to move up to the airline in 30 months or less.

As far as a place to live, Denton is cheaper than anywhere on the north side of Dallas, and has some good amenities. And we are not that far from the big city when you want to attend an event there.

Florida is littered with student pilots, so I don’t think you’d be hard pressed to build hours quickly.

I actually talked to US Aviation Academy as well, and was also planning on doing the Envoy program. I couldn't find a ton of info out there on them so I wasn't sure how good the school was on the instructor side, good to hear some positive tings. I know Envoy is partnered with American Flyers as well which was why I originally was looking into them. I really haven't spent much time in Texas and while its not Florida, it doesn't seem like a bad place to live.

I've got a job here in Maryland at the school I trained at if I want it, and I like the school and people that work there. They also have a good amount of students but the combination of Maryland weather and cost of living is a bit much.

Well at least Texas has bigger, meaner thunderstorms than florida...maybe...

all the same, it's just marketing.

I was able to fly nearly everyday I wanted when I lived in the north west.

I'd be more concerned with pay, quality of life, and equipment and the management culture.

Consider California. Tons of flight training, large clubs that enable you to freelance as an instructor and keep all the money you are charging and better weather than either of those two.

Consider California. Tons of flight training, large clubs that enable you to freelance as an instructor and keep all the money you are charging and better weather than either of those two.

But cost of living and taxes will have him living in a box, also lots of crime and a very pro criminal and poverty culture.

I'd go TX, FL or AZ waaaaay before CA, and that's as someone who's originally from there.

Not to mention the ridiculous cost of living, high taxes and more than your fair share of liberals and whackjobs.

Ummm, no

But cost of living and taxes will have him living in a box, also lots of crime and a very pro criminal and poverty culture.

What an insanely bigoted thing to say. Of course, I'm completely unsurprised.

Not to mention the ridiculous cost of living, high taxes and more than your fair share of liberals and whackjobs.

Ummm, no

Higher pay, more opportunities to work and no "Florida Man."

What an insanely bigoted thing to say. Of course, I'm completely unsurprised.

Higher pay, more opportunities to work and no "Florida Man."

It not bigoted it's based on history, and the amount you might make more as a greenhorn CFI doesn't match the cost of living vs TX or AZ.

Also even living in nice areas I never made it a year without something being stolen, in the 1M neghiborhood where I lived for a few years I had two burglaries, one attempted home invasion which I warded off with my pistol, when the cops finally graced me with their presence nearly half a hour later they tried to make me feel like a criminal for defending my home.

Unless you're the super $$ boutique type, even if you have higher pay your QOL in CA is going to lower in CA vs TX, AZ, etc.

I'm from there, my family has a bunch of history there, it's a beautiful state, and it does break my heart seeing how far it has fallen.

It not bigoted it's based on history, and the amount you might make more as a greenhorn CFI doesn't match the cost of living vs TX or AZ.

Also even living in nice areas I never made it a year without something being stolen, in the 1M neghiborhood where I lived for a few years I had two burglaries, one attempted him invasion which I warded off with my pistol, when the cops finally graced me with their presence nearly half a hour later they tried to make me feel like a criminal for attempting to defend my home.

Unless you're the super boutique type, even if you have higher pay your QOL in CA is going to lower in CA vs TX, AZ, etc.

People can make all the quality of life arguments they want, and that simply comes down to whether giant house = quality of life. Your comment about "pro criminal" and "poverty culture" was one of your more veiled signals I've seen on here, indicating a terrible level of bigotry. Of course, you seem to miss that AZ and FL have top 10 violent crime rates (neither CA nor TX does) and right wing policies drive all but 1 of the top 10 violent crime states.

The two best things about Florida? It isn't Texas. And it is in't Texas.

How's that for an endorsement from someone who lives in the armpit of this Earth? (Texas)

People can make all the quality of life arguments they want, and that simply comes down to whether giant house = quality of life. Your comment about "pro criminal" and "poverty culture" was one of your more veiled signals I've seen on here, indicating a terrible level of bigotry. Of course, you seem to miss that AZ and FL have top 10 violent crime rates (neither CA nor TX does) and right wing policies drive all but 1 of the top 10 violent crime states.

I'm not right wing of left, and the prices in CA, outside of way north CA are nuts, and again maybe I'm some crazy fluke but I only have the theft and home invasion and other criminal attacks in CA, I had less run ins with criminals in Cape Town, less in Thailand, and a ofcourse in all the other states I have lived in. I also have never been treated as poorly by police as I was as a victim of crime in CA.

Thinking of it, I am a bigot, I'm a huge bigot and I have a ton of hate for people who would look to victimize others, or stand up for such criminals.

... and right wing policies drive all but 1 of the top 10 violent crime states.

IF it is at all possible,support that concept without getting banned for politics.

Perhaps stating the Top 10 violent crime states would be a politically neutral start. Don't be surprised when you are countered with the unfortunate coincidence of population density...

Back