All my possible medical issues - what's the outlook?

S

swordhillclearing

What are my chances/timeline/expenses looking like with the following issues?

- Two times I was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression. A couple months in 2014, then about a month in 2017. Since 2017 (past 4 years), I have not had any need for counseling or prescriptions due to depression. I learned to manage symptoms and stressors much better.

- I take olmesartan for hypertension (high blood pressure). My hypertension is well controlled with the medication, and the medication is on the approved list. I don't have side effects. I did have an EKG that led to evaluation for coronary artery disease, but after an ECG and two stress tests, they found I did NOT have coronary artery disease or any other defect.

- I used to smoke marijuana in college and for a bit after, but I don't any more, pretty sure not in the last two years. I also used cocaine approximately 5 times over the course of 7 years, the last time being about 4 years ago. I did tell a therapist about these things and have seen records which mention them, so if the depression/wellbutrin issues is investigated it will be found (right?). I have not had an issue with substance or alcohol abuse/dependence, no arrests, no convictions, never failed a drug test. If it's phrased have you used these substances "in the last two years", I can truthfully say no.

cocaine?

SadZigzagJaguar-size_restricted.gif

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/medical-forms-medical-releases/faa-medical-forms/

Download 8500-8
Read question 18 (many parts to it)
Can you truthfully answer every subpart?
Please note - the question is "Have you ever...?"

The drug question is as follows: "Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the past 2 years."

"Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever;" By the definition of substance dependence: "increased tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, impaired control of use, continued use despite damage to health or impairment of social, personal or occupational functioning." None of those have ever happened to me. So that, the answer is no.

The second clause: " or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the past 2 years." No illegal substance at all in the past two years. So again the answer is no.

“...I used to smoke marijuana in college and for a bit after, but I don't any more, pretty sure not in the last two years....”

pretty sure? wow. don’t even try for sport pilot.

Please consult with an AME before filling out the form and letting it go live. Hopefully one of those on this board will post. The therapy and associated records will need to be disclosed and what is in there is important. You are right, the history of drug use will be disclosed, don’t try to hide it. Do not go live until you know the likely outcome.

That requires a CDL which has a medical tougher than a Class III.

For what it's worth, I have a Class A CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement AND have an endorsement to carry 55 passengers. I have no problem getting a DOT Physical every other year, even with my SSRI (anxiety) history and kidney stone history. Those same two conditions make it extremely difficult, if not impossible to obtain a Class III medical for private pilot. But don't worry, I'm perfectly healthy to fly a Light Sport.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back