all kinds of questions

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Hi guys,

What is a thread rating? What are the little "V"s or check marks to the left of some thread titles?

Also, when I'm reading one new thread after another in a forum, how do I get back to the list of threads without using my browser's back key? That's how I've been doing it so far. And how do I find just the new posts in each thread? I've been trying to go back and forth in different ways, and I keep seeing all the old posts that I already read.

What's guided mode and enhanced mode? Why are there smilies to the right, and very similar smilies below? And when I click a smilie, it comes out in text?

How's that for a lot of questions..... :eek:) Sorry 'bout that. New software's hard for me.

Toby

Toby said:
Hi guys,

What is a thread rating? What are the little "V"s or check marks to the left of some thread titles?
Thread ratings are 'votes' for the thread that others have added. Look for the 'Rating' drop down menu at the top of the thread, right side. You can add/subtract to the rating, too.

Not sure what "V"s or check marks you're referring to?

Toby said:
Also, when I'm reading one new thread after another in a forum, how do I get back to the list of threads without using my browser's back key? That's how I've been doing it so far. And how do I find just the new posts in each thread? I've been trying to go back and forth in different ways, and I keep seeing all the old posts that I already read.
At the top of the page is a series of links, showing different levels of the forum that you're in. For instance, this one shows:

Pilots of America Message Board > Pilots of America Technical Support > Forum Support > all kinds of questions

Clicking on "Forum Support" takes me back to the Forum Support forum. Clicking on "Pilots of America Message Board" takes me back to the main forum page.

Toby said:
What's guided mode and enhanced mode?
Not sure on this one.

Toby said:
Why are there smilies to the right, and very similar smilies below? And when I click a smilie, it comes out in text?
The smilies to the right are embedded in the message, which you can also do in regular text. It's basically a shortcut if you don't know the text codes.

The smilies below are associated with the entire message and show up in the thread view only.

Toby said:
How's that for a lot of questions..... :eek:) Sorry 'bout that. New software's hard for me.

Toby
It's a learning process for all of us! :rolleyes:

Toby said:
What is a thread rating?
Thread ratings and reputations are explained here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=57

What are the little "V"s or check marks to the left of some thread titles?
I don't know what you are referring to?

Also, when I'm reading one new thread after another in a forum, how do I get back to the list of threads without using my browser's back key?
You can click on "New Posts" to see what threads have new replies, or you can go up a level to a higher level forum by clicking on the forum name in the "breadcrumbs" section of the page, which is just above the NavBar (menu bar) and reads like "Pilots of America Message Board > Pilots of America Technical Support > Forum Support...etc.

That's how I've been doing it so far. And how do I find just the new posts in each thread? I've been trying to go back and forth in different ways, and I keep seeing all the old posts that I already read.
Len asked the same thing. I'm sorry, no good news on that front right now: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=71

What's guided mode and enhanced mode? Why are there smilies to the right, and very similar smilies below? And when I click a smilie, it comes out in text?
There are two editors available for use here - a text editor which shows the vBcode tags (see this FAQ item http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_special_codes) as tags, and a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor which shows the text as it will appear when posting. You are using the text editor at the moment. Guided vs. Enhanced mode is explained in the same link I just added. When you click a smily - the forum softare inserts the text command for that smiley. When you read your post, the text command (tags again) are converted to the image you clicked.

To see your post as it will look when you submit, change to the WYSIWYG editor by going into the User CP, clicking Edit Options, and near the bottom in Miscellaneous Options change the Message Editor Interface to the 'Enhanced Interface Full WYSIWYG' option.

Ha, you think its hard for you! :D Try installing this stuff! :p

So glad you could join us, Toby! Great to see you!

CH

Curse you Brian, you're too quick for me! But I got some you didn't! Muhahahah!

Toby said:
Hi guys,

Toby,

The "arrow" will fast-forward you to the newest post since you last viewed the thread. So, when you log back on, you'll see the:

firstnew.gif

button, click it and you'll fast-forward to the newest post since you were here last. If you click on the thread by accident, no worries, just click "View first unread".

The thread rating is like a little poll - as threads are read, each reader can rate the thread - these ratings are averaged out and a rating is displayed. You'll see a "Rating" box at the top of the first post, which you can click and then choose your own rating. Pretty easy way to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

At the top of each screen, under the "Pilots of America" logo, you'll see something like:

Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk
AOPA Flight Planner

Clicking "Hangar Talk" will send you right back to the Hangar Talk thread list. Pilots Lounge will send you to the listing of Forums in the "Pilot's Lounge" group, and "Pilots of America Message Board" will send you back to the Forum / Group listing page.

At the bottom of every page, there is a "Forum Jump" dropdown box. Select which forum you want to go to, and click "Go" - you're back to the thread listing!

The smilies to the right are inserted in your message:

:rolleyes: [: rolleyes :] :cool: [: cool :] :eek: [: eek :] :p [: p]

You'll learn the codes for them over time, but those get inserted into the text of your message.

The smilies at the bottom, however, get displayed either at the thread list (if you started the thread), or to the left of the subject line of your message, like in this case, I chose the lightbulb. When you have selected a message icon, you'll see it displayed next to the "title" box when you are drafting your message.

Toby

No worries! vBulletin is a great package -- every single forum software has some minor shortcoming, and each has a learning curve. I'm on a bunch of sites that use vBulletin (http://www.advrider.com being the largest), and you get addicted to it (I hate the AOPA software package now :) )

Cheers,

-Andrew

Greebo said:
I don't look at the keys when I'm typing. ;)

I KNEW someone else was going to answer, too. That's such a long one that, once you start, you never know if someone beat you to it!

Greebo said:

You have to be kidding me!

Dang conference call... should have said "I'm trying to help someone on the 'net, could you please call me back?"

:p

Cheers,

-Andrew

Brian Austin said:
I don't look at the keys when I'm typing. ;)
:eek: :mad: Smart aleck!

Hey Andrew - GREAT pickup on the V symbol - heck *I* didn't know what that did! :)

Thanks very much to all of you. I'm glad you overlapped and answered the same questions in different ways. I need to read this stuff four or eight times before it makes sense to me, anyway! But, hey, if I could learn to fly, I can certainly learn to use this webboard. :eek:)

Toby

Greebo said:
:eek: :mad: Smart aleck!

Hey Andrew - GREAT pickup on the V symbol - heck *I* didn't know what that did! :)

:)

One thing, though, on the older versions of vBulletin, that sent you to the newest message since you "last logged out", not the most recent one "since you last read the thread", so I'm not sure if that has changed.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Toby said:
But, hey, if I could learn to fly, I can certainly learn to use this webboard. :eek:)
Oh...no...webboards are MUCH harder... :p :p :D :D

Back