All kind of landings

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
4 missed approach leading to go arounds , 3 assisted touch and go, 1 engine failure to landing, 1 forward slip to landing, 1 unassisted "nice" as described by my CFI , followed by 2 ballooning, 1 bounced off all 3 wheels ... that's what my morning looked like today. Ohh did I mention some of them were 380 size base to final turns?? At one point tower called and asked if we were turning at all since there are 2 others on long final wondering what the hell i am doing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"380 size base to final turns?" What does that mean?

Sounds soooo familiar. :D
Just like it was yesterday (in my case it was 1974).

Comforting to know some things in aviation are timeless, and technology hasn't taken away the challenge and satisfaction of mastering flying.

You are doing just fine. Keep at it, the best is ahead!

Sounds soooo familiar. :D
Just like it was yesterday (in my case it was 1974).

Comforting to know some things in aviation are timeless, and technology hasn't taken away the challenge and satisfaction of mastering flying.

You are doing just fine. Keep at it, the best is ahead!
I am still flying my backup instruments , whole lot more fun that way for sure.

I don't think you're shooting instrument approaches yet, so you can't "miss" the approach, they're all just plain go arounds.

@ wannfly - wow, sounds like you had a great student pilot lesson lol.

im not a cfi, but this worked for me nailing landings during training. this MAY help you.

1. fly down to the runway (nose down)
2. cross the runway
3. power idle (your now a glider)
4. level off to stop your descent
5. HOLD this attitude (fly just above runway)
6. as the speed bleeds off increase back pressure (so you dont just drop like a rock)
7. keep increasing back elevator pressure as you get even slower and let the plane settle to the ground
8. congrats you just landed

good luck

I don't think you're shooting instrument approaches yet, so you can't "miss" the approach, they're all just plain go arounds.
Yeah, sorry ... I figured when u hover over the PAPI lights... u definitely missed something

Yeah, sorry ... I figured when u hover over the PAPI lights... u definitely missed something.

Don't worry, it's just a terminology correction, you may as well get it right now.

I'm not looking forward to days like that. But if I understood (i.e. not planned go arounds?) there was still a nice landing or two in there? I'm very sure I have pretty much the same, or I can imagine worse, to where I'd wish for a day like that, in my near future.

Good luck and hang in there!

I'm not looking forward to days like that. But if I understood (i.e. not planned go arounds?) there was still a nice landing or two in there? I'm very sure I have pretty much the same, or I can imagine worse, to where I'd wish for a day like that, in my near future.

Good luck and hang in there!
Yeah, there was 1 good one, but definitely learnt how not to land a bunch of times .

I had been a pretty fast learner until it was time to get every landing safe for me to solo... then the plateau hit me and I couldn't land for the life of me. After about 2 more hours of just circuits something clicked and I could suddenly land the plane in winds and be assured of a safe outcome.

Reminds me of learning to improve my golf swing actually... I had so many things going wrong with it that it was impossible to make improvements immediately. I had to fix one thing at a time and then it all came together. Get on speed, get the right attitude and sight picture, trim (yes, even on downwind/base/final), stabilize the final approach, and don't be in a hurry to land even after you've crossed the threshold. You'll get it.

Thank you for that! My CFI has been preaching this to me and I can literally hear him saying this verbatim as I'm landing. This was a great list!

@ wannfly - wow, sounds like you had a great student pilot lesson lol.

im not a cfi, but this worked for me nailing landings during training. this MAY help you.

1. fly down to the runway (nose down)
2. cross the runway
3. power idle (your now a glider)
4. level off to stop your descent
5. HOLD this attitude (fly just above runway)
6. as the speed bleeds off increase back pressure (so you dont just drop like a rock)
7. keep increasing back elevator pressure as you get even slower and let the plane settle to the ground
8. congrats you just landed

good luck

Sounds like "all sorts of normal" for the stage you're at. :)

And we all get to do it again to some extent when we switch aircraft types -- about my third or fourth landing in the twin I decided that chopping the power when I was still ten feet up was a good idea to salvage a high approach -- well it would have worked in the 182, so...

Two three bladed props going flat simultaneously makes for a hell of an "air brake"... and Pipers aren't known for their stellar glide properties... whump.

As we taxied off I said I was sorry I slammed the airplane on, being an airplane owner and all... that's hard on stuff. My CFI looks over and nonchalantly says, "I've seen worse. It wasn't that bad." Haha.

Back