All in one printer recomendations

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I am looking to replace my older HP 2650 All-in-one printer.

I need the scanner fax function, I want color, I would like it to do photos and simply photocopying as well. Needs to work on Ethernet (wired instead of wireless).

Anyone got some good recommendations for me to look at?

When I look at some, like a color laser, I find that I will still need a photo printer. I would really prefer to not have to have two printers in the house. I think that pretty much means that I am stuck with inkjet.

Scott, I have a Lexmark that does a good job. Downside is probably that it only uses two cartridges, black and color. If one color is low then you have to replace the color cartridge even if the other colors are not low. Some say because of that the printers with separate cartridges are better.

I have an HP CM1312nfi networked all in one. Have had it for 2 years, the cartridges last a long time, there's separate toners for each color, so you don't have to pay for all the colors when only one is low.
There is a higher-volume black cartridge, so you're not constantly replacing it.

We've been very happy with it. After fighting with Brother and Canon multifunctions, I will never buy anything but an HP for scan/fax/print.

I have an HP CM1312nfi networked all in one. Have had it for 2 years, the cartridges last a long time, there's separate toners for each color, so you don't have to pay for all the colors when only one is low.
There is a higher-volume black cartridge, so you're not constantly replacing it.

We've been very happy with it. After fighting with Brother and Canon multifunctions, I will never buy anything but an HP for scan/fax/print.

How's the color quality? I'm shopping for a laser AIW myself. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm thinkin...

I think the HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw is the latest iteration of that family.

Scott, I have a Lexmark that does a good job. Downside is probably that it only uses two cartridges, black and color. If one color is low then you have to replace the color cartridge even if the other colors are not low. Some say because of that the printers with separate cartridges are better.

What model is that? On my Lex X7170, if you want photo quality you pull the blk and put in a "Photo" cartridge. Leaving the color cartridge in its place.

What model is that? On my Lex X7170, if you want photo quality you pull the blk and put in a "Photo" cartridge. Leaving the color cartridge in its place.

It's in the 9500 series. I had an HP like that once. I've backed away from HP as I had some bad experiences. They kind of remind me of Gillette where they sell you a cheap a$$ printer and soak you on the cartridges.

Since I learned the tricks to refill cartridges, I have been able to almost pay my mortgage off.

How's the color quality? I'm shopping for a laser AIW myself. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm thinkin...
Very, very good. I use the color injet with glossy paper for photos that I'm going to frame, otherwise it's the laserjet.
Dell 1235cn
Dell's printers are made by Lexmark or Samsung, but will only work with the proprietary Dell custom toner cartridges. You pay what they want to charge, and they're too small for alternate manufacturers to go after the market.

A word of warning, I have had bad experience with Brother and Canon making drivers for OS updates. When I upgraded to Win7, the Brother unit that was less than a year old wouldn't work and they announced they were not developing a Win7 driver. Canon did the same at work when Vista came out.
My experience with both of the them has been they make good hardware, but buggy, crash-y, software and drivers. And MFPs live and die by the software.

I have no worries with HP, and would probably be OK with Lexmark (but have no experience with them).

Scott I just got my MIL the Lexmark It is supposed to get 500 pages out of the black and the cartridge is only $5.00 I think it is a Copier/Printer/Scanner but I'm not sure that it faxes. I hear it does photos well and you can use it wired or wireless. I hear the Kodak is similar but that you can also fax with it.

I praise Lexmark for customer service.

I haven't had much success with refilling inkjets which is why I'm looking at laser. I don't print often, so basically I buy new cartridges, install them, let them sit (and dry out), then when I want to print months later I need new ink.:mad2:

I use a panasonic KX-B#### scanner/laserjet. Aftermarket toner is cheap.

I honestly would use a 2 printer setup for color stuff, or farm the color pages out to a printshop/FedEx kinko. Especially if color

B/w toner printer for workhorse work, and inkjet with separate ink tanks for color work. A cheap color printer used infrequently won't cost that much.

Samsung CLP-315 for the heavy lifting high-volume print jobs, and an HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless for scan/fax/quick print/photo duty. The HP has the optional duplexer for double-sided printing.

The HP cartridges are outrageous and chipped so they're not refillable AFAIK. The Samsung has individual color and black toner cartridges that are very reasonable and really run until they're empty.

Both printers, a full refill on the toner or ink will cost almost as much as replacing the whole printer though.

Went with HP because their scanning software works on Macs flawlessly over WiFi including sheet feeder and conversion to just about any file type including PDF during the scan. Also has a built in web server that can do single sheet scanning to JPG for any machine with a browser without having any drivers loaded.

Haven't really needed to fax in years and with VoIP phone at home for years now, and since last week, the Verizon doohickus that hooks the home phone to their cellular network-- it typically won't/can't work by design anyway, due to bandwidth/CODEC constraints. I just scan/e-mail things that would have been faxed in the past.

Both have been workhorses for years. My wife is a nursing administrator and active nurse who prints a ton of stuff and she's got no complaints either.

Prior to the Samsung CLP-315, had a Samsung ML-1710 which was B&W only and it's still chugging away at dad's house. Only complaint on that printer was the fuser drew a lot of current. It'd dim/flicker the lights when it came out of sleep mode at the beginning of a print cycle.

Before all of this, I was an Epson fan, all the way back to the dot-matrix days. Their ink has a tendency to dry out and clog heads though. Some photographers still swear by their ink.

Loudest and best printer for text quality ever was the Star brand daisy-wheel printer. Basically a screaming fast typewriter. With a nice font daisy-wheel inserted into it, the resulting "typed" pages were great. A poor-man's impact printing press. Many a club newsletter and school report hammered through that thing. Freakin' teletype machine on steroids.

The world knew you were printing something back then!! Couldn't print after 10PM without bothering the neighbors. ;)

Loudest and best printer for text quality ever was the Star brand daisy-wheel printer. Basically a screaming fast typewriter. With a nice font daisy-wheel inserted into it, the resulting "typed" pages were great. A poor-man's impact printing press. Many a club newsletter and school report hammered through that thing. Freakin' teletype machine on steroids.

The world knew you were printing something back then!! Couldn't print after 10PM without bothering the neighbors. ;)

Amen, brother!! I loved that printer when I had one.

I guess you're stuck with HP since it's the only thing Apple supports with Airprint. :rolleyes::mad2:

I concluded long ago that no printer did it all well. As a result, I have two.

I have a Canon Pro9500 Mark II photo printer that does outstanding photos. It'll work in a pinch for text/routine prints, but is more expensive than a laser to run. USB interface. Print only.

I also have a Dell 2155 "all in one" color scanner/laser printer. Network interface built in, easy operation, scan-to-email, etc. I've been happy with it so far (I've had it a few months). Setup was pretty easy, though there was some bloatware on the install disk - you can avoid installing the bloatware if you wish.

The HP cartridges are outrageous and chipped so they're not refillable AFAIK. The Samsung has individual color and black toner cartridges that are very reasonable and really run until they're empty.

Canon is no better at all.

I liked my Samsung printer, but it wasn't as well supported as some others. When it came time to replace the transfer drum, the cost started to approach the cost of a new printer.

I still have to figure out what to do with the (fully functional) carcass.

The daily woot is a Kodak MF printer. Looks a lot like my Lexmark.

My HP1312 is NOT chipped. I can buy and use aftermarket toner.

I missed where the OP has a Mac. The HP plays great with my Macs, and is so much easier to set up and manage with a Mac than with a PC. Downloaded from hp.com, double clicked the file, it installed, recognized the printer, asked a couple of questions, and BAM, done.
The same drill on a new PC would take two hours and manual setup of the MFP IP address.

HP does document processing the best. I have an ALL-IN-ONE 7280. It's a network device that is a scanner, fax, copier, and printer. It can pull from a flashcard. The setup is fairly simple and it seems to work well with Vista and LINUX.

So I ended up with an HP Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw!
So far so good!
Thanks for all the input.

Glad I could pontificate! Hope some of it was useful.
Let us know what you think.

Next time you're in the market for a new all-in-one, look at the Konica Minolta line. Though, anymore, they're all using microfine, polymer toner that puts out a great print. (I work on high-speed, production printers by trade).

I use Epson Artisan 810 and it's perfect. It is a high end printer though hough you'll get a lot for your money.

Back