All flying at Spruce Creek is to be suspended.

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
I am hereby suspending all flights out and into Spruce Creek fly in community.:rofl::rofl:. I mean do they as people flying in to or out of know what they are doing to me working out on I-95 and watching them flying around while im trying to work. Its hard to do my job and plane watch ,lol. Today some person was out flying their P-51 mustang with the merlin engine and im here to tell yall that thing sounded sweet.

...Today some person was out flying their P-51 mustang with the merlin engine and im here to tell yall that thing sounded sweet.

Admit it, you're just hoping he's on PoA, will see this, and offer you a closer look :D

Admit it, you're just hoping he's on PoA, will see this, and offer you a closer look :D
There's another thread about living at an airport. My dream is to find a house I can afford at Spruce creek! That has to be the ultimate retirement community!!!!

There's another thread about living at an airport. My dream is to find a house I can afford at Spruce creek! That has to be the ultimate retirement community!!!!

Until you lose your medical, then it's Hell on Earth.

I made a lot of good friends there. I wish I could go back and just stay. I'd never leave.

I lost my medical around 40 years ago and I fly every week in my Bonanza. Of course, I fly right seat, next to my properly certificated wife!

If you live on an airpark, try looking up your neighbors on the FAA website. You'll be surprised at how many of then have no medical.

Isn't spruce creek the association that kicked John Travelair out of the neighborhood for noise infractions,maybe a little jealousy?

I've heard some pilot who lived there did a low approach there in a 777 or a big Airbus. It was his last flight before retiring so they couldn't fire him for it. Anyone else heard that story.

I've heard some pilot who lived there did a low approach there in a 777 or a big Airbus. It was his last flight before retiring so they couldn't fire him for it. Anyone else heard that story.
I believe I remember seeing a picture of that event somewhere down there.

I have heard about the issue with JT, and if true, you can't really blame them. Look at how close the houses are in relation to the runway, how short the runway is, and imagine how loud an older jet would be going in and out of there.

LOL hell no i wanna go for a ride and maybe fly it a bit.
If it's the blue and yellow one named "Obsession", he'll most likely let you sit in it if you strike up a friendly conversation. I've sat in it.

I can't imagine such properties are easily unloaded.
Anytime I see one advertised in my price range at Spruce Creek, it is under contract by time I call. Of course, if I was ready to buy I would have a realtor looking out for all new listings for me. I looked into buying just a hangar out there, but there is a waiting list.

Spruce Creek is a very social neighborhood and Travolta is a rather private person. I don't think there were too many hurt feelings when he left. Everyone that I know that knew him thought he was a great guy. He just didn't fit it. And neither did his airplane.

Back in the 80's we use to fly over to Spruce Creek for lunch in the clubhouse. Can you still do that?

Noise violations... hahahaha...

Give a look at Larry Ellisons noise fines at KSQL... just a cost of doing business to him.

I'm sure JT left because he wanted to. Else he would have just bought every property around that little old runway and sat around laughing in the quiet.

Back in the 80's we use to fly over to Spruce Creek for lunch in the clubhouse. Can you still do that?
Sure can. It's a great little restaurant. And all the folks are very friendly. Of course, they are friendlier to folks they already know. And it seems everyone knows everyone. It's an atmosphere I love.

Well i guess no one there reads this post as i have seen several planes flying in and out of there including an older slowtation lol two days in a row leaving out of Spruce Creek. Oh well i guess ill just have to suffer through it , watching planes and driving pipe piles.

Well i guess no one there reads this post as i have seen several planes flying in and out of there including an older slowtation lol two days in a row leaving out of Spruce Creek. Oh well i guess ill just have to suffer through it , watching planes and driving pipe piles.

I hope it's not the same guy that ran his off the end into the pond. :rofl:

Isn't spruce creek the association that kicked John Travelair out of the neighborhood for noise infractions,maybe a little jealousy?

Well, he would leave for LA at something like 3am.... I am reasonably sure his neighbors didn't appreciate that.

I spent time in Spruce Creek. Lots of friendly folks until they saw I was driving a 30 year old truck, then they thought I was there to repair something.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. My understanding is that you can only fly in on invitation if you don't live there. It's even in their website. I went there once with a friend only because he was buying a twin from an owner who lived there. Loved the place and the restaurant atmosphere was great too. Would love to go back but I'm not sure if I can go there without an invitation. Anyone know ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. My understanding is that you can only fly in on invitation if you don't live there. It's even in their website. I went there once with a friend only because he was buying a twin from an owner who lived there. Loved the place and the restaurant atmosphere was great too. Would love to go back but I'm not sure if I can go there without an invitation. Anyone know ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My current instructor claims that visiting the restaurant is enough invitation according to the manager there. I've not been myself.

John

Well i guess none of the pilots at Spruce Creek are on this forum ,as i was dodging planes of all types from a Waco to some home-builts to twins of various makes , a good chunk of the day saturday. i was told later that day that they do a breakfeast fly in every saturday. Just my luck... lmao ..... oh and the home-builts in a flight of 5 all had smoke systems and turned them on during a low alt. fly-by. in formation

Last edited:
I have lived there since 99. Great place, you can fly in to eat, just read the website instructions before you come. Understand that at times there are 20 planes in the pattern doing overhead breaks at 150 knots and a pack of Cubs going 65. Saturday mornings are busy! And you never know what will be flying at any given time. One rainy day I heard a very strange noise, went out of my hangar and saw the Goodyear blimp doing low passes and steep pull ups into 800 overcast! WTF?. Turns out it was its last flight and they were having fun. Yes a 777 did 2 low passes here it was the pilots retirement flight and he had permission. Look it up on google and hit images. Great pic. I think there are more rv8s in here then anywhere else, there are 6 sx300s 4 mustangs on and on.

Hangars are for sale but they start at 400k for a 50x60. Not cheap!
Funny about the 30 year old truck story.

That was sounding awfully good until you mention hangar prices.

I split the difference- I rent a hangar at a decent grass strip / community. It's not uncommon to see kids playing on their lawn as you're landing on one of the runway. I think the chickens are gone now...

Just could not convince the wife to move there...

Well yesterday was a new one , i got BUZZED by a B-25 bomber heading in for a low fast pass at Spruce Creek. i'm here to tell you at 150+ knots and 200 or so feet agl. and maybe 300 ft. away from me those radial engines were loud and scared the hell out of me , as he came in from behind me. i was sure cussin him and envious all at the same time.

I have to wonder, if one has permanently lost his medical, why not fly until he permanent loses his license? :D

Back