Alcor EGT Guage Not Working Correctly

Taildragger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Taildragger806
I own a 72 Citabria 7ECA. Recently while flying my EGT guage dropped to only read about half of the normal temperature range. Shortly after that in the same flight it dropped down to zero. I have continued to fly the plane but the EGT guage needle reading is either on zero or barely bouncing above zero. When I opened the cowl it looked as if everything was still connected correctly with the wiring and the probe into the exhaust. Is there anyway to troubleshoot to determine what the problem is? Or based on the description above is there a way to conclude if it is a bad probe or possibly something else? I am getting ready to get annual done and wanted to go ahead and order any parts that may be needed off of aircraft spruce.

I should add that most of these thermocouple probes will have a base ohm reading. If it is open (infinity) using an ohm meter, it most likely is the culprit.

There are two connections a little way up the wire from the probe. Little screws and nuts that come loose. They're under a sleeve.

Dan

Last edited:
Guess you learned:

1. you can have too much instrumentation
2. instrumentation can lie
3. you don't need an EGT gauge for the engine to work.

After the annual you will learn:

a. don't buy a part until after the solution is discovered
b. the probe is bad.

If you need spares, I just removed an Alcor gauge and probe from my Mooney for an engine monitor upgrade. Both were working as expected when removed, so lemme know if you want a cheap spare.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I will try to test the probe this week. I am not exactly sure which Alcor model it is and really not sure how to determine this. Scott if it is probe and you have one that would work I would be interested in purchasing from you.

T G 806
I had a similar problem with my Alcor TIT Gauge (same as EGT just marked TIT).
A very wise AI told me to get to the back of the gauge and find the hole which has a setting screw it will accept either a flat or Phillips (can't remember) and remember where it is set and then turn it fully both ways a few times. This cleaned the coil and internal parts, Adjust it back to the original setting .
Worked for me.:yes:

Leonard

Back