Alcohol dependence questions.

U

Unregistered

Hello, had a few questions regarding alcohol abuse/dependence, and how it could affect getting a medical cert. I'm a 22 year old male and have been diagnosed with alcohol dependence. Long story short, got back from Afghanistan, started drinking heavily, self referred to a substance abuse program in April, 2012. Did 28 days outpatient, w/after care and also went to a psych and he concluded that I had combat stress as well, but determined that I was just needed some time. I understand that it's a minimum of 2 years abstinence after a diagnosis. What happens after those 2 years? I suppose that I should also note that I have no arrest/convictions what so ever on my record, not even a parking ticket. Only meds I have ever taken is valtrex for head herpes(above the shoulders, same as cold sore....), contracted during wrestling. Should I just opt to go sport pilot for now and wait? Or do I have a chance of getting my cert? I'm beyond upset with myself for letting my problem get that far, but I suppose this is a classic example of actions having consequences. Anyways, thank you for your time and responses.

If that's you that emailed me, see that.

This depends on commitment and budget.
You will need monitoring, proven abstinence, and documented recovery activities over an unbroken stretch of >8 months, then a psychiatrist visit, and then sponsorship, with monitoring for two years while flying.

Think $4K all told.

If you're also the OP in the other string, Sport Pilot- well ,4K represents a lot of flying.

If that's you that emailed me, see that.

This depends on commitment and budget.
You will need monitoring, proven abstinence, and documented recovery activities over an unbroken stretch of >8 months, then a psychiatrist visit, and then sponsorship, with monitoring for two years while flying.

Think $4K all told.

If you're also the OP in the other string, Sport Pilot- well ,4K represents a lot of flying.

Sounds like him. Yeah, but then in the long run of flying, $4k is a drop in the bucket lol, all depends on what his future aspirations for flying are. Is there a time limit at which flying under SP with no further alcohol related issues that the evaluation requirements remediate?

One other point of advice...if someone start pushing Rational Recovery, hit "ignore" and listen to Dr. B.

Sounds like him. Yeah, but then in the long run of flying, $4k is a drop in the bucket lol, all depends on what his future aspirations for flying are. Is there a time limit at which flying under SP with no further alcohol related issues that the evaluation requirements remediate?
When you get >20 years out, a 20 year negative DL seach will do it.
When you are >10 years out, a SAP and 10 year negative DL search will do it.

When you get >20 years out, a 20 year negative DL seach will do it.
When you are >10 years out, a SAP and 10 year negative DL search will do it.

Since he's a vet, would a VA shrink be able to do the eval on him saving a few of those bucks?

Since he's a vet, would a VA shrink be able to do the eval on him saving a few of those bucks?
No. VAH is in the habit of creating illness so they can spend their appropriation.

Seriously bad way to get s_rewed.

Henning, its the VA doc who got him in this pickle . . . a really good private psrink would have discussed his lifetime goals - and hearing pilot - would have deferred any dx and simply told him to go outpatient for 'stress' and deal with it all that way.

VA gets paid for the number of people dependent on the VA for coverage and care - there is an obvious bias.

No. VAH is in the habit of creating illness so they can spend their appropriation.

Seriously bad way to get s_rewed.

Not all, my dad was a VA shrink for many years along with being Clinical Director for state of Missouri and a few other clinical positions in the public sector with the county. They never had problems spending appropriations, more the opposite in fact. My dad wanted to get them better and get them out, "Fastest Shrink in the West" was on one of his retirement gifts.

Perhaps if they would provide a better system of funding.
...and that will happen.....when?

I think 2009 was our last "budget".
You're talking to a guy who had a six year Res. Career Develop. Award cut short to 6 one year awards by the Reagan brilliancy, which resulted in my middle finger up and back to clinical medicine.

Perhaps if they would provide a better system of funding.

Right after the finish giving food stamps, housing, healthcare, transportation, free phones and education to all of the people that don't work but voted for them maybe just maybe they will take care of the people they sent off to fight the stupid pointless wars they start.

Just sayin' :rolleyes2:

Right after the finish giving food stamps, housing, healthcare, transportation, free phones and education to all of the people that don't work but voted for them maybe just maybe they will take care of the people they sent off to fight the stupid pointless wars they start.

Just sayin' :rolleyes2:

All it would take is for people to quit whining and stage a revolution, but that's not gonna happen either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back