alcohol dependence question.

U

Unregistered

Hello, had a few questions regarding alcohol abuse/dependence, and how it could affect getting a medical cert. I'm a 22 year old male and have been diagnosed with alcohol dependence. Long story short, got back from Afghanistan, started drinking heavily, self referred to a substance abuse program in April, 2012. Did 28 days outpatient, w/after care and also went to a psych and he concluded that I had combat stress as well, but determined that I was just needed some time. I understand that it's a minimum of 2 years abstinence after a diagnosis. What happens after those 2 years? I suppose that I should also note that I have no arrest/convictions what so ever on my record, not even a parking ticket. Only meds I have ever taken is valtrex for head herpes(above the shoulders, same as cold sore....), contracted during wrestling. Should I just opt to go sport pilot for now and wait? Or do I have a chance of getting my cert? I'm beyond upset with myself for letting my problem get that far, but I suppose this is a classic example of actions having consequences. Anyways, thank you for your time and responses.

Doc Bruce is the go-to expert on this, but I would think with a verifiable lengthy period of abstinence along with a clean arrest record as to DWI, a medical is not out of reach.

You should get into a recognized program,where someone can measure your progress.its good that you realize your problem and have gone to work on it. Which you only the best .

Learning to fly is learning to fly. Dr Bruce will be by with more specific technical advice on the medical cert, but I don't think you'll have a lot of problem. As for whether to just go Sport Pilot for now, sure why not, just make sure that the instructor you use is a full fledged CFI so your training also counts towards your Private Pilot and further ratings after you get your medical issues squared away.

Learning to fly is learning to fly. Dr Bruce will be by with more specific technical advice on the medical cert, but I don't think you'll have a lot of problem. As for whether to just go Sport Pilot for now, sure why not, just make sure that the instructor you use is a full fledged CFI so your training also counts towards your Private Pilot and further ratings after you get your medical issues squared away.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1251434#post1251434

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back