Alcohol and the medical

Note that three "yes" answers indicate a reason to consider the possibility. If you answer "yes" to 1,3,5,6, 8, 9, 17, and 19 but it is all ancient history, you may have dodged a bullet. Notice that the questions are posed in the present tense.

Note that three "yes" answers indicate a reason to consider the possibility. If you answer "yes" to 1,3,5,6, 8, 9, 17, and 19 but it is all ancient history, you may have dodged a bullet. Notice that the questions are posed in the present tense.

What you call "dodging a bullet" most of us would call "growing up". To each their own...

I'm not sure I buy the 80%. Is there some qualification on what defines the daily use and what crossing the line into dependence. You got a reference?

It's a diagnosis statistic. There are X symptoms or behaviors defined. If you have at least Y of them, you are diagnosed. In my research DSM-IV for alcohol dependency has 7 factors and 3 are required for diagnosis.

I'd hazard an opinion that the 80% comes about because those who meet five of the criteria are likely to drink every day, not the other way around. Also, there is a factor that the way medicine is practiced today, achieving a diagnosis is the goal, so there is probably a bias toward diagnosis.

On the larger list above, I have to confess that #8 never affects me...I don't think I can find much more inferior companions or environments that those I already have...(and I fit right in with them) ;) :yesnod:

I'd hazard an opinion that the 80% comes about because those who meet five of the criteria are likely to drink every day, not the other way around. Also, there is a factor that the way medicine is practiced today, achieving a diagnosis is the goal, so there is probably a bias toward diagnosis.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's something more along the lines of... "Of patients who were diagnosed with an alcohol dependency, 80% had daily intake of alcohol".

But I know next to nothing about statistical methods, all I know is statisticians swear they're right. Always.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's something more along the lines of... "Of patients who were diagnosed with an alcohol dependency, 80% had daily intake of alcohol".

But I know next to nothing about statistical methods, all I know is statisticians swear they're right. Always.

I think you're probably right about your suspicion.

If so, then that's like saying that 80% of people who drink too much coffee drink it daily.

-Rich

5 drinks a day...as simple as it gets...you've crossed the line. That's a simple definition I got from listening to Dr. Dean Edell. Subjective questions don't work...actual quantity seems to be what takes you from control to abuse.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back