Alcohol and asthma

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
Lately I'm noticing that I get asthma immediately after having a few drinks.

Is it common for alcohol to be a trigger or are there other factors involved??

In the past I've only had asthma attacks around cat hair.

Lately I'm noticing that I get asthma immediately after having a few drinks.

Is it common for alcohol to be a trigger or are there other factors involved??

In the past I've only had asthma attacks around cat hair.

Nicotine can resolve it, I'd believe that alcohol could cause it....of course, no one will admit that nicotine can help it because people don't want to admit that nicotine might have some possible use for a small subset of humans.

I have the same problem sometimes depending on how strong and how fast I have a drink. If I drink a strong vodka and orange juice, it happens, but if I have a few beers it doesn't.

Nicotine can resolve it, I'd believe that alcohol could cause it....of course, no one will admit that nicotine can help it because people don't want to admit that nicotine might have some possible use for a small subset of humans.

Nicotine probably helps a huge subset of people self medicate. Either enough to function in polite society or at least enough to keep from napping on RR tracks. But cigarettes are bad, we'd just ban them but we couldn't get by without the tax revenue. Govts crack me up.

Nicotine probably helps a huge subset of people self medicate. Either enough to function in polite society or at least enough to keep from napping on RR tracks. But cigarettes are bad, we'd just ban them but we couldn't get by without the tax revenue. Govts crack me up.

Ban it all, it still won't stop anyone. The best course of action is to legalize and tax everything. Even bathsalts or whatever the hell crap is called these days. SZ here we come...

Ag training they teach you if you see someone handling chemicals go down, stick a lit cigarette in their mouth and have them smoke it.

"no KaBOOM!?"

Attachments

• MM.png
    MM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 502
IMHO and experience with a wife and friends with asthma, carbohydrates will trigger or exacerbate asthma. What kind of drinks are we talking about? Beer? Yep - lots of carbs. White wine - yes. Mixed drinks with sweet in it? Experiment with red wine, experiment with something you like straight up or on the rocks - I'd bet those will not trigger asthma . . . no carbs.

I have noticed that when my spouse has a carb load she will get wheezy . . . and she knows it. When we are both in a low[er] carb diet regime she has many fewer times she needs her inhaler - and if she is on a 40gram or less per day of carbs averaged over a week she does not ever have to use an inhaler. . . .

As for nictoine . . . Greg, one does not need to smoke to get nicotine, so we can get off the anti-smoking band wagon - and yes - there is a strong effort on the part of government to avoid having nicotine be useful for any purpose. Before we discovered the low[er] carb diet we had discovered nicotine gum for her - just 1/4 piece chewed for just a few minutes twice a day very effectively prevented asthma attacks ..... a helluva lot cheaper than Rx but - then - no one makes any money from the rx.

Last edited:

We'd just ban them but we saw how well that worked in Prohibition... Tax the heck out of it instead...

IMHO and experience with a wife and friends with asthma, carbohydrates will trigger or exacerbate asthma. What kind of drinks are we talking about? Beer? Yep - lots of carbs. White wine - yes. Mixed drinks with sweet in it? Experiment with red wine, experiment with something you like straight up or on the rocks - I'd bet those will not trigger asthma . . . no carbs.

Actually, I'm getting asthma off of shots. Rum and/or whisky. I just can't win. :-\

I have noticed that when my spouse has a carb load she will get wheezy . . . and she knows it. When we are both in a low[er] carb diet regime she has many fewer times she needs her inhaler - and if she is on a 40gram or less per day of carbs averaged over a week she does not ever have to use an inhaler. . . .

I think I'll try this. I don't eat a whole lot of carbs as it is but i could cut out some.

As for nictoine . . . Greg, one does not need to smoke to get nicotine, so we can get off the anti-smoking band wagon - and yes - there is a strong effort on the part of government to avoid having nicotine be useful for any purpose. Before we discovered the low[er] carb diet we had discovered nicotine gum for her - just 1/4 piece chewed for just a few minutes twice a day very effectively prevented asthma attacks ..... a helluva lot cheaper than Rx but - then - no one makes any money from the rx.

Another good idea thanks. :thumbsup:

Well as with most food allergies, if often takes a lot of trial and error to isolate the thing that is causing the actual allergic reaction. What "alcohol" are we talking here? There's tons of things that can be made into alcoholic beverages (just about anything with sugar or something that can be converted to sugar) and there are tons of components of than the alcohol itself present both from the source material and as part of the fermentation reactions and the whole production process. I can talk to you all day long about what goes on in wine vinification*** (I just spent an extended day working on wine faults as part of my judge certification).

Of course, my wife after spending much time with an allergist recently has pretty much determined that the misdiagnosed allergic-onset asthma is most likely gastric reflux in origin rather than an allergy.

*** gosh darn VBulletin, why does it keep making that vilification?

Last edited:
Capt Crash - the darker liquors have some sugar in the them . . . but with shots they should not cause an asthma attack . . .

What are you eating with the shots? Candied peanuts? Chips?

Whiskies and many rums have tons of phenols in them that come from the interaction of the spirit and the barrel. I'd lay odds on that more than the EtOH itself.

Whiskies and many rums have tons of phenols in them that come from the interaction of the spirit and the barrel. I'd lay odds on that more than the EtOH itself.

That might be the case. I usually drink dark rum because it tastes better (Sailor Jerry's, Bacardi Gold) and I don't drink whiskey, I drink whisky. ;) IMO the only whisky worth drinking comes from Scotland.

That might be the problem, I'll try clear alcohols and see if that makes a difference.

which is what gives you a worse hangover . . . this could be it too.

Try a silver rum or tequila. . .

Have been known to get it after a night of drinking bourbon on the rocks. Usually lasts a few hours the next morning. Gonna stay with the good Bourbons and live with the next morning. Helps if I go to the gym the next morning.

I have a family friend that recently developed (apparently, anyway) an allergy to certain tequilas, he would get the same asthma symptoms within a few minutes of drinking it (straight). Switched to the high-grade premium tequila and the problem disappeared, we figured it was some impurity in the tequila.

You do know that drinking alcohol != alcoholism, right?

No, continued drinking of alcohol in the face of problems it is causing is alcoholism. I'm not judging here, just saying a pilot's forum probably isn't the wisest place to have this discussion.

You realize that this is a post about sustaining alcoholism on a pilot board right?

drinking alcohol does not equal alcoholism . .. if that were the case the entire nation of Russia would be alcoholics . . . .

oh, wait.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do, unless they have made the decision that doing it is not good for them and they want to stop that.

I can't afford a G650, so I made the decision not to order one. Simple. I'm still gonna fly though...

Alcohol does not equal alcoholics anymore than spoons equal Rosie O'Donnell. Sure - it opens the door and leads the way, but that's where common sense and willpower serve their purpose (or not). We have free will.

One of my favorite passions in the world is the craps table - but I recognize that it's not good for me in the long run and I treat it as entertainment rather than a way of life. No difference. I have the common sense to recognize the situation for what it is and the willpower to make a choice and stick to it. Some people do, and some don't.

Last edited:
You can have whatever definition you like, I don't really care. If you use the standardized definitions of alcoholism that CAMI uses though, we have a person advertising a deferrable condition here, that's all I'm saying. Remember, people have been busted for YouTube videos.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do, unless they have made the decision that doing it is not good for them and they want to stop that.

I can't afford a G650, so I made the decision not to order one. Simple. I'm still gonna fly though...

Alcohol does not equal alcoholics anymore than spoons equal Rosie O'Donnell. Sure - it opens the door and leads the way, but that's where common sense and willpower serve their purpose (or not). We have free will.

One of my favorite passions in the world is the craps table - but I recognize that it's not good for me in the long run and I treat it as entertainment rather than a way of life. No difference. I have the common sense to recognize the situation for what it is and the willpower to make a choice and stick to it. Some people do, and some don't.

To the best of my knowledge, not having a GNS-650 will not buy you a medical deferral...yet.:rolleyes:

No, continued drinking of alcohol in the face of problems it is causing is alcoholism. I'm not judging here, just saying a pilot's forum probably isn't the wisest place to have this discussion.

Just because I like to drink doesn't make me an alcoholic. I just like a nice buzz at the end of the day to help me unwind. I rarely have more than 4 drinks. 2-4 drinks is hardly alcoholic territory.

Just because I like to drink doesn't make me an alcoholic. I just like a nice buzz at the end of the day to help me unwind. I rarely have more than 4 drinks. 2-4 drinks is hardly alcoholic territory.

Like I said, not judging, just using the criteria that CAMI would use and pointing out that discussing this on a public pilot's forum is not wise, nor is 'denying you have a problem' which is another criteria....

Jeebus. By that criteria my mother is an alcoholic. She has half a glass of champagne once every few years, probably drank too much once in the 1940s, and would tell you she doesn't have a drinking problem.

No, Dale. It doesn't.
But Henning is 100% correct. Are you reading this "Crash'n'Burn"?
Please desist from more posting of use, for your own well being. You actually have three CAMI criteria from your own postings.....

Asthma off of shots but you keep doing them-->that's continued use in the face of known consequences.

"just want a buzz when I get home" is lifestyle centered around the consumption of alcohol.

You only need one to hang your medical. Two right there, and a case can be made for a 3rd. Please just stop posting. I tried to be humorous with post #7, but man you just don't get it. And it's a good bet your next post will be along the lines of "Hey, Back off. I don't have no problem!".

Just stop.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back