Alaskan Salmon Fishing

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I've been wanting to take a trip up towards Alaska and do some Salmon fishing in the Spring or Summer. Has anybody done this before who can recommend a good place to go? I'd love to hear any stories if you're willing to share.
Thanks!

Yes, we got to Petersburg and charter with "Magic Man Charters" Stan is frankly amazing. (PAPG)

Depending on when you, you'll also get to see humpback whales, glaciers, etc as your catching some fish.

Depending on the week you go, you can choose halibut and/or Salmon (Silver and King).

Ive spent a little time in Yakutat on the Situk River watching 25-30 lb salmon swim up to my lure, look at it, and go around ;) , but most people have better luck than me.

Here is what we found in our 2007 trip. at any of the cruise ship ports of call when the ships are in the fishing charters are all booked. When the ships are not in, the rental of a charter boat is expensive with out some one to share the costs. This year we are taking our on boat and gear.

Is it possible to fish on your own without getting with a chartering company, like just along the shoreline of a river? Any idea what it costs to ship them home?

Charter? Hell no. I like fishing alone.

The simple answer to Alaska fishing is reflected in prices. A $2K per night lodge will usually be better than a $1.5K per night lodge. Econ 101.

I have fished Salmon River in NY a ton of times. They will run you over during spawning.

Before you go up. call the village fishing charter companies they will give you advice as to every thing you need to know. they may even cut you a trade for transporting good from the lower 48.
OBTW if you didn't know, halibut is a dollar a pound cheaper at Costco. than it is at Homer

What time of year was it when you fished there?

That's what I hear. I'd like to either go in May or the first of June, bearing my schedule.
time of year is only important if you are fishing the rivers, salmon are in open waters all year.

In Juneau I have had the best luck for Kings in May and June. Coho in July and August. Love smoked Coho. In SE Alaska Sitka is a good choice lots of lodges and charters, expensive. Been wanting to go to Elfin Cove, AK for a while to fish the coast but have not made it there yet.

I do my salmon fishing at the seafood counter at Bel Air.

I do my salmon fishing at the seafood counter at Bel Air.
And it's probably cheaper. When I was fishing Puget Sound for salmon I had the price worked down to about $2000.00 per pound

Last time I went salmon fishing was about ten years ago off the coast just north of San Francisco. Something happened to the salmon that season, and not a single person on the boat got a fish.

I've been wanting to take a trip up towards Alaska and do some Salmon fishing in the Spring or Summer. Has anybody done this before who can recommend a good place to go? I'd love to hear any stories if you're willing to share.
Thanks!
Homer Alaska or Ninilchik Alaska..you can do Salmon and halibut
They have fishing boats that do trips a lot cheaper than a fishing lodge

Or in facebook search for Jimmie Jacks Fishing lodge in kenai

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OBTW if you didn't know, halibut is a dollar a pound cheaper at Costco. than it is at Homer
But catching it yourself is what makes it fun! :)

Homer Alaska or Ninilchik Alaska..you can do Salmon and halibut
They have fishing boats that do trips a lot cheaper than a fishing lodge

Or in facebook search for Jimmie Jacks Fishing lodge in kenai

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Thank you both. :) Something I've wanted to do for awhile, so I'd love to make it work. Appreciate all of the info!

My best friend runs a combo charter business out of Anchor Point. His best dates have been booked for months. Those would be primarily during King runs. Silvers run later and are less popular. The Cook Inlet has a slot limit for halibut. One over one under. You'll toss some back working to get that. There are also salmon limits. You won't take home much fish on an average day. If silvers interest you look at Seward charters. Saltwater Safaris is the best. Big boats, good crews. Lots of silvers. They do combos, too. Halibut fishing is good but they also fish Ling Cod and Rock Fish, neither of which are in Cook Inlet. Lings are the best eating fish on the planet in my opinion. Well, Sable fish is better but you won't fish those.

My best friend runs a combo charter business out of Anchor Point. His best dates have been booked for months. Those would be primarily during King runs. Silvers run later and are less popular. The Cook Inlet has a slot limit for halibut. One over one under. You'll toss some back working to get that. There are also salmon limits. You won't take home much fish on an average day. If silvers interest you look at Seward charters. Saltwater Safaris is the best. Big boats, good crews. Lots of silvers. They do combos, too. Halibut fishing is good but they also fish Ling Cod and Rock Fish, neither of which are in Cook Inlet. Lings are the best eating fish on the planet in my opinion. Well, Sable fish is better but you won't fish those.
I'm mostly interested in Kings and Sockeye, not much into Halibut. Having to look into my schedule for that time of year, I'm wanting to book the trip soon.

Before you go up. call the village fishing charter companies they will give you advice as to every thing you need to know. they may even cut you a trade for transporting good from the lower 48.

Yes it is. Everything cost less somewhere else than Homer.

Back