Alaska

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
I'm planning my first flight to Alaska from Seattle during the first week in July. I plan to get to Ketchikan and maybe Sitka. I would love information from people that have done this before...

- Is simply flying up the inside passage a decent route?
- What should I see from the air?
- What should I do when I get there?
- I assume no special flight plan is required if going non stop from Seattle?
- I plan to go non-stop to ketchikan, but what if weather forces a stop in Canada... I am IFR current,... but let's just say I really need to land for weather.. what do I do about customs? I am familiar with standard customs procedures, but in this case I wouldn't have a chance to notify customs one hour in advance. Also, my passenger wouldn't have a passport... do they let these things go in weather emergencies?

I'm planning my first flight to Alaska from Seattle during the first week in July. I plan to get to Ketchikan and maybe Sitka. I would love information from people that have done this before...

- Is simply flying up the inside passage a decent route?
- What should I see from the air?
- What should I do when I get there?
- I assume no special flight plan is required if going non stop from Seattle?
- I plan to go non-stop to ketchikan, but what if weather forces a stop in Canada... I am IFR current,... but let's just say I really need to land for weather.. what do I do about customs? I am familiar with standard customs procedures, but in this case I wouldn't have a chance to notify customs one hour in advance. Also, my passenger wouldn't have a passport... do they let these things go in weather emergencies?

Flying the ferry route (inside passage) is possible, but watch weather. most days you'll be under a 2500' ceiling but if weather is good you can see all the coastal mountains and glaciers. Stop at Port Hardy and fuel.

That brings up customs

Call Can Pass and file, then when you stop, just call and tell them where you are, and play the 20 questions with the lady.

Or if you like stop by Oak Harbor and we can talk. or I can buy lunch.

Please file a flight plan, it is required to cross the border, and you will talk to VanCouver Centre. and have flight following as you transit the Canadian airspace. other wise they will think you are a drug runner and launch the F-15s out of Comox.

I do the Ketch run about 2 times per year, my advise is PICK YOUR WEATHER. or its skud running all the way and your biggest worries are a sailboat mast.

Last edited:
If weather wasn't so good, which route would you take?

Your passenger with no passport - will this be a problem? Who knows? The requirement is so new...

If you call CBP they will, of course, tell you that you will need one if you touch down in Canada then try to reenter the US either direction.

If weather wasn't so good, which route would you take?

I would not go the coastal route if Prince George was IFR. DO NOT count on Prince Rupert being VFR it never is. If you can't file IFR and follow the flight plan don't go.

And to follow up on Ketchican, 300 days of the year it is IFR, you want a nice flight pick your weather

Your passenger with no passport - will this be a problem? Who knows? The requirement is so new...

If you call CBP they will, of course, tell you that you will need one if you touch down in Canada then try to reenter the US either direction.

Passports made our resent trip a whole lot easier, and we drove.

I am totally IFR capable in my Bonanza, but not comfortable with any serious weather up there due to the very high minimums, and the lack of good alternates within fuel range. If the weather is iffy, I will go some other year. I have planned this trip 3 other times over the past 8 years and canceled due to weather.

I have planned this trip 3 other times over the past 8 years and canceled due to weather.

....and will probably continue to cancel for the rest of your life if you are looking for 'good weather'.

'Good weather' is relative. Plan an IFR flight with realistic alternatives you can live with and ...go!

Back