Alaska trip summer 2017

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm planning to head to Alaska out of Pittsburgh this summer in my 172. I just landed a new job in Iraq, working 4 weeks on and then 4 weeks off. Might do the whole trip in one off-period, but would love to do the flight there in one month off, and then the flight back on the subsequent month off so I'm not rushed.

I'll probably fly mostly via Canada as I've already flown a lot in the northern states of the USA. Would love to get some advice on cool places to visit along the way and in Alaska, especially camping. Happy to land on dirt, gravel etc.

My aircraft has the 180hp upgrade, and I'll get rid of my wheel pants. I only have the 40 gallon tanks; is this likely to pose a range problem and leave me stranded? I've been thinking about adding a 20 gallon Turtlepac. I'll have the rear seats removed and will have plenty of camping and survival gear.

When I went I camped at Fairbanks. They had a parking space for your plane, picnic table and fireplace. Airnav PAFA still shows camping with a phone number. They also had a shower.

I also liked Port Alsworth and Flat.

Most pilots go up the Alcan highway and down the coast. But the tradewinds actually blow the other way, up the coast and down the Alcan. Fly where the good weather is! Best weather is first two weeks in July, BTW.

Last edited:
That kind of schedule, Houston, Pittsburgh and Iraq ... sounds like the oilfield to me!

No advice, but sounds like a great adventure. Best of luck to you!

'Would love to follow your adventure... be sure to post, and even consider using a SPOT or INREACH so we (and family/friends) can track you. A couple years back, some friends flew 2 CTs from Tucson to Barrow and back. Following them was fun... and the FAA/Alaska camera network makes it like you are right there.

We will be up north starting mid to late may.

Thanks for the feedback so far, all. I was thinking just unimproved landing strips although I'm open to roads. I have standard C172 tires, so nothing too crazy! Definitely thinking about a SPOT...

I flew from Las Vegas to Alaska and return a few years ago. I had a T-41B with 210HP and about 9 gph.
Proper planning your 40 gallon tanks should be enough. IIRC, the longest leg would be White Horse YT to Northway AK for Customs. No fuel at Northway, but only a few miles further to Tok for fuel.

I would recommend around the south side of the Great Lakes or up through Michigan and across the UP to Diluth and then into Canada. North side of Great Lakes gets a little barren. Pick up the Al-Can Hwy near Ft Nelson or before and then to Watson Lake and White Horse, follow the road to White Horse and Northway.

It's a great trip! Enjoy!

Made the trip the other way.SE Alaska to Round Lake, IL. Juneau to Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Ft Nelson, Ft St John, Dawson Creek (mile 0 for AL CAN hwy), Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Minot ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Round Lake, Il.

Mine was a road trip, 35 hours in my slow Beech Sport. Sure wish I had time to enjoy the sites.

Have fun in your travels..

From PA I would angle across the Northern U.S. until MT or so, then cross. It's just easier with cheaper fuel.

I flew up in a Cherokee 140 years ago, no need for bush type fields unless you want the side excursion. It's not to early to sign up for a Customs sticker and look over Eapis a bit. AOPA has a tutorial if you need it.

Just keep an airport in your back pocket along the way. Nothing wrong with cutting a few corners, but I'd somewhat follow the Al-Can Hwy.

Maybe see you along the way in my Archer as the current plan is to leave the very end of May till June11 from Connecticut.

It'll take me 400nm with reserves. I may also get a 20 gallon Turtlepac and use that as a reserve.

Back