Alaska Trip Requirements

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Do you need survival gear on board to fly into Alaska major cities, or is that for back country ops?

I'm planning a coastal trip in the next week to Ketchecan and up the coast to Anchorage. I'm going to try and go direct from Seattle area direct to Ketchican non stop.

I think it would be a hoot to bypass Canada on one leg, and take the Canadian route back. I love seeing the ocean and the continent meet. It is fascinating to me.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip... on the bucket list for sure... keep us posted.
Alaska Statute 02.35.110 Emergency Rations & Equipment requires that an airman may not make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:
The minimum equipment during the summers months is: food for each occupant for one week; one axe or hatchet; one first aid kit; an assortment of fishing tackle such as hooks, flies, and sinkers; one knife; fire starter; one mosquito headnet for each occupant; and two signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, pistol shells, etc. sealed in metal containers.
In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year: one pair of snowshoes; one sleeping bag; one wool blanket for each occupant over four.

Unless things have changed, state law requires it on all flights. I've never heard of this being enforced though (doesn't mean it hasn't).

Doing the Ketchikan to Anchorage thing will still result in you flying over a lot of inhospitable terrain, so having the gear would probably be worthwhile. However, I think you can probably get away with skipping the snow shoes.

Check the Canadian regulations too. And make sure you have your CBP aircraft sticker current. And your eApis registration.

I went to Anchorage and Fairbanks last year, and a few other Alaskan towns but I used the Canadian routes, north through Bellingham WA to Abbotsford, Prince George, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse into Alaska and back through Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Ft Nelson, Grand Praire, Edmonto, to Cut Bank Montana.

Sounds like a great trip... on the bucket list for sure... keep us posted.
Alaska Statute 02.35.110 Emergency Rations & Equipment requires that an airman may not make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:
The minimum equipment during the summers months is: food for each occupant for one week; one axe or hatchet; one first aid kit; an assortment of fishing tackle such as hooks, flies, and sinkers; one knife; fire starter; one mosquito headnet for each occupant; and two signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, pistol shells, etc. sealed in metal containers.
In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year: one pair of snowshoes; one sleeping bag; one wool blanket for each occupant over four.

And 1 gallon of repellant. Until you have experienced the bug swarms of SE Alaska you can't imagine them. (I learned to fly formation in the C130 with Alaskan mosquitoes) :yes:

Do you need survival gear on board to fly into Alaska major cities, or is that for back country ops?

I'm planning a coastal trip in the next week to Ketchecan and up the coast to Anchorage. I'm going to try and go direct from Seattle area direct to Ketchican non stop.

I think it would be a hoot to bypass Canada on one leg, and take the Canadian route back. I love seeing the ocean and the continent meet. It is fascinating to me.

You'd be well advised to contact transport Canada and do the 20 questions to gain customs entry, 1-800 Can Pass, rather than try a 1 hop. going up is easy. coming back not so much.

Gas at BLI or BVS it is 525 miles from here, and stop by I'll buy lunch at the airport cafe.
And yes you will need survival gear. and if you need a fire arm, bring a shot gun and have the required paper work filled out, and ready to hand the customs agent.

they are here -- http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

Unless things have changed, state law requires it on all flights. I've never heard of this being enforced though (doesn't mean it hasn't).

Doing the Ketchikan to Anchorage thing will still result in you flying over a lot of inhospitable terrain, so having the gear would probably be worthwhile. However, I think you can probably get away with skipping the snow shoes.

:lol:

...food for each occupant for one week; one axe or hatchet; one first aid kit; an assortment of fishing tackle such as hooks, flies, and sinkers; one knife; fire starter; one mosquito headnet for each occupant; and two signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, pistol shells, etc. sealed in metal containers.

To be read using your best Slim Pickins impersonation :D

slim-pickens-drstrangelove-5.jpg

One of the requirements for an Alaskan trip is to start the plane, and begin the journey. :D

I launched at 4:00am to take advantage of the calm air and my insomnia. I have been looking forward to this for so long I could not sleep very well. :goofy:

First stop Powell, MT over 600 miles ( and 25 gallons of fuel remaining) from KLNK so I can easily make Ketchikan non stop from Port Angles, WA which is where I am now.

After Powell things got interesting weather wise. Tried to get over the top, but there was a ridge over 18k so I had to double back to Dillion, MT. I thought I was stuck for the day, but a experienced local said just " Take HWY15 to I90 and take a left." :lol: So I looked at Missoula, MT and it was 2200' . Needless to say it was a good route. Scud running in the mountains. :yikes:

Going to make the assault on Ketchikan in a few hours, then up the coast.

The RV-10 is performing flawlessly.

Sorry for the large pics, I don't know how to resize them with the Xoom. :redface:

IMG_20130613_134514_232.jpg

IMG_20130613_133158_589.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome trip, thanks for sharing the pics and stories

Good luck and have fun!

Regarding the the tracking I LOL'd. It came up with no background so I was wondering what I was looking at, driving around getting last minute supplies and/or coffee? Last bit of local sightseeing (in the dark)? I got a laff when I turned on the sat view.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Spot.jpg
    Spot.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back