Alaska Airlines Buys Virgin America

Just another big airline move to consolidate the amount of options available in air travel. The more they consolidate,the higher the prices and the less service the passenger recieves.

Interesting.

Those were my two favorite airlines.

I hope virgin won't change too much price or service wise, they really were one of the only airlines I would fly.

As a VERY frequent Flyer and a Southwest fan, I have come to love Virgin airlines. Got Gold Status with them currently. I like Alaska and happy to see them able to compete in a larger market as I HATE with a passion the three legacy carriers, but will be disappointed if the brand and service that Virgin has built up is just reverted to Alaska Airlines as Virgin has a far better product in my opinion.

Won't be long before you see JetBlue gobbled up as well.

Airlines' a commodity in the 21st century, at least for the consumer bloc that supports the existence for 12,000-wide seniority lists anyways. Branding is immaterial in the aggregate. I'm not suggesting there is some product differentiation here and there, but outright branding loyalty that corner markets? Meh.

Here comes more popcorn for the gallery regarding pilot SLIs. I doubt it'll be as juicy as the current LAA/LUS/AWA mexican standoff, but who knows, all it takes is someone to throw a stapler across the negotiating table (airline guys will get the reference) and it's curtains up, time for the main show. :D Alaska folks are cultish too, so it's prime for some buffoonery.

Back