Alabama Disaster Relief Fly-In

Auburn_CFI

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HCS
POA Community,

I wanted to inform those of you that might be looking for a nice way to spend a Saturday, I have just what you are looking for.

In support of the Tornado Relief Efforts in Alabama a fly-in has been organized for Saturday June 4th, 2011 at the Walker County Airport KFJX. A $20.00 donation will get you a Fish-Fry lunch, live music, military fly by, and war bird display. They will also be taking non-perishable canned goods as well as clothing, diapers, forumula, etc.

I will post more details as they become available.

Thanks,

Cole

http://www.alabamaaviator.com/calendar.asp?ac=ind&event=120698

In support of the Tornado Relief Efforts in Alabama a fly-in has been organized for Saturday June 4th, 2011 at the Walker County Airport KFJX.
http://www.alabamaaviator.com/calendar.asp?ac=ind&event=120698

I'm forwarding this link to our local EAA Chapter president for consideration. Weather permitting I'll be there with the IAR.

oddly enough, the storm cell that ended up bringing the tornado to TCL started as a rain shower over the airport where I base the plane, according to the NWS.

I noticed on the EAA website there was a 5/7/11 event at JFX.

Is the 6/4/11 fly-in still on? I plan to get there early if it is.

I noticed on the EAA website there was a 5/7/11 event at JFX.

Is the 6/4/11 fly-in still on? I plan to get there early if it is.

I'm planning on flying in as well.

If we can get confirmation that it is still a 'go', I will stir the pot with the local RV group here and see if they can put together a gaggle to come over.

Just contacted the FBO at JFX and the event is still on. They are offering a 50¢ discount on fuel for fly-in aircraft.

The live band is "Rolling in the Hay" which sounds interesting.

Bring plenty of sunblock.

Last edited:
Sorry, I bailed at the last minute. 104* heat index forecasted equates to about 140* in the glass bubble of the RV. Went out around 3:30 to try to take some aerial photos of a local charity event and I was getting beat to death - only lasted ~1hr before I was feeling woozy (which rarely happens).

Hope there was a big turnout for the event...

Turnout at Jasper was moderate due I'm sure to the heat. Those who did make it got to enjoy plenty of good food and live music. There were fans with misters set up in the hangar so it was comfortable. A decent showing of antique and muscle cars were on display, including a very nice Firebird 400 convertible. A jet powered van made a run at 2 pm.

About 20 planes made the fly-in. Some of the planes that flew in included the P-51 "Ain't Misbehavin", an immaculate Tiger Moth, and a C170B just out of a 2 year restoration. The host of the event races a T-6 "Big Red" at Reno and there was a display of the trophies it had won. Got to visit with some AF veteran F-86 and F-4 pilots that had come out for the day. That alone made the trip worthwhile.

I arrived early before the heat and I waited til later in the day to depart. I think the new tinted plexiglas on the overhead windows helped cut the temps in the plane as it was warm but much more tolerable than before. The haze was pretty tough coming and going. Was above most if it in the morning but stayed below the cumuli in the afternoon for better winds. On the way home monitored a twin having fuel flow issues and MEM Ctr vectoring it to the nearest airport. Not sure you could call it a "save" but the pilot sounded relieved to find the runway in the haze with the controller's help .

It was a good event for a good cause and I'm glad I was able to make it.

Back