Al Qaeda threat September 14th?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Have you heard anything about this? Got this from the flying club. Contact information is included at the end for "believability" reasons; please don't harrass Mr. Wiegand by calling or emailing him.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

To all TEXINS Flying Club members:

Tenants, Users and Friends
Collin County Regional Airport:

We have been made aware of a bomb threat made by an individual
associated with al Qaeda for September 14, 2006. The threats are made
against airports across the United States to include an unnamed North
Texas airport.

Although we do not believe that terrorists would have anything to gain
by attacking Collin County Regional Airport, we do take these threats
very seriously and enlist your enhanced vigilance to protect our
facility.

Please take extra precautions to ensure that your aircraft are secure
and be alert to any activity which is out of the ordinary. The Airport
Staff has taken appropriate action it feels is necessary to enhance
airport security. We ask that you remain especially sensitive to
suspicious activity on or near the airport beginning immediately through
the weekend of September 16-17, 2006.

Thank you,

Ken
Kenneth F. Wiegand, A.A.E., Director
Collin County Regional Airport
1500 E. Industrial Blvd., Suite 118
McKinney, Texas 75069

Office: (972) 562-4214/4053
Cell: (214) 585-1084
Fax: (972) 542-6686
E-mail: kwiegand@mckinneytexas.org

I have no knowledge of that particular warning.

But I can say as someone in law enforcement that we get similar intel on a weekly or better basis, with about the same level of specificity even for those of us that have security clearances. I'm not saying that makes it any less important, I'm saying that kind of warning is very common but most folks outside of facility managers, politicians and law enforcement seldom hear about it. Not because it is sensitive data - obviously that kind of warning isn't - but becaause 99% of the time it isn't useful to anyone else besides the recipients. I would place no more - nor less - importance in the warning than face value.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
I have no knowledge of that particular warning.

But I can say as someone in law enforcement that we get similar intel on a weekly or better basis, with about the same level of specificity even for those of us that have security clearances. I'm not saying that makes it any less important, I'm saying that kind of warning is very common but most folks outside of facility managers, politicians and law enforcement seldom hear about it. Not because it is sensitive data - obviously that kind of warning isn't - but becaause 99% of the time it isn't useful to anyone else besides the recipients. I would place no more - nor less - importance in the warning than face value.

sounds a lot like the double speak we got after 9/11 regarding all those obvious warnings the bush administration missed. better not be wrong! imho, tc

tom clark said:
sounds a lot like the double speak we got after 9/11 regarding all those obvious warnings the bush administration missed. better not be wrong! imho, tc
That's why I included the last sentence ;) It's hard for those of us that get all the warnings to filter out the specific and credible from all the non-specific knee jerk cover-our-butts BS. That is why I have never criticized either the Clinton or Bush administrations for ignoring any such thing :no: You take it at face value, go forth and live your life.

And you consider the source. In this day and age if it was a truly credible threat, either you would never hear about it at all (because an operation was in place to counter the threat), or it would be disseminated more widely than an email from an airport manager i.e. the press and politicians would be all over it.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
That's why I included the last sentence ;) It's hard for those of us that get all the warnings to filter out the specific and credible from all the non-specific knee jerk cover-our-butts BS. That is why I have never criticized either the Clinton or Bush administrations for ignoring any such thing :no:

Constant vigilance 24/7 works too but, it doesn't hurt to keep the eyeballs peeled back a little extra if some rat-bastards think they want to try to call one on us.

TSA is checking on the validity of Mr. Wiegand's message. Don't bother either Mr. Wiegand or TSA -- they will call me back when they determine whether or not this is a valid message, and I will post that information.

Reply from the TSA TSOC -- this warning did not come from TSA, and they have no knowledge of either the specific threat described in Mr. Wiegand's message or anything like it. They called Mr. Wiegand to try to find out where he got the information, but he wasn't there; they left a message for him to call them. Further when I hear more.

Ron Levy said:
Reply from the TSA TSOC -- this warning did not come from TSA, and they have no knowledge of either the specific threat described in Mr. Wiegand's message or anything like it. They called Mr. Wiegand to try to find out where he got the information, but he wasn't there; they left a message for him to call them. Further when I hear more.

Cool! Can you ask them if they found the stolen laptop with all of my state's pilot certificate info?

I got a letter basically telling me "Gee we're sorry, watch your credit reports, purchase fraud insurance and 'be careful out there ya heah!'"

Gee, thanks. I feel much better now. When a private company losses valuable data like that they often buy a years worth of fraud insurance for you. Florida pilots got a "Be careful!" Sheesh.

.... yawn ....

Troy Whistman said:
Have you heard anything about this? Got this from the flying club. Contact information is included at the end for "believability" reasons; please don't harrass Mr. Wiegand by calling or emailing him.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

To all TEXINS Flying Club members:

Tenants, Users and Friends
Collin County Regional Airport:

We have been made aware of a bomb threat made by an individual
associated with al Qaeda for September 14, 2006. The threats are made
against airports across the United States to include an unnamed North
Texas airport.

Although we do not believe that terrorists would have anything to gain
by attacking Collin County Regional Airport, we do take these threats
very seriously and enlist your enhanced vigilance to protect our
facility.

Please take extra precautions to ensure that your aircraft are secure
and be alert to any activity which is out of the ordinary. The Airport
Staff has taken appropriate action it feels is necessary to enhance
airport security. We ask that you remain especially sensitive to
suspicious activity on or near the airport beginning immediately through
the weekend of September 16-17, 2006.

Thank you,

Ken
Kenneth F. Wiegand, A.A.E., Director
Collin County Regional Airport
1500 E. Industrial Blvd., Suite 118
McKinney, Texas 75069

Office: (972) 562-4214/4053
Cell: (214) 585-1084
Fax: (972) 542-6686
E-mail: kwiegand@mckinneytexas.org

MSmith said:
Given that it's now 9/15, I guess this wasn't true.

I'd say you're right! I'm interested in what the TSA found when they called the initial reporter. Ron, did you hear anything more?

Back