AK wx

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I notice no graphic metars/tafs/sigmets/airmets on the adds site.
Is there a similar source for the 49th state?

Not that I know of and we don't get satellite wx either (marine or aviation :mad2:).

RADAR returns are pretty much worthless in SE AK as well, the RADAR doesn't see much b/c of all the mountains.

We rely BIGTIME on reports from other pilots.

Also, from what i was told, Alaska is the only place you can substitute a "weather report" from another pilot vs. an official one (like flight services etc).

We actually "just fly" and do the best we can with what we have, which does not include many modern conveniences.

No problem, and I'm by no means an expert.

If you want to fly up there I have an awesome lodge in a small (very small!) town only accessible by plane or boat and I'd be glad to have you .

We can make one hell of a fishing trip too!

-Rob

Extremely generous offer, Rob.
I can only hope to get up there one of these summers.
Dave

You should!

Nothing like flying in and around the landscape of Alaska!!!

I live in New Orleans in the winter, boring level flat land flying (but plenty of places for unplanned off airport landings!).

Still love it, but flying in AK is special.

-Rob

Used it all the time when I was in AK. Lots of good info, but the Wx does change in an instant. My favorite feature of that site were the Wx cameras for many of the heavily traveled mountain passes. Made many a go/no go decision based on what the cameras were showing.

Back