Airworthiness Question

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
If a plane is missing a 337 form from over a decade ago, would it be considered un-airworthy? Thanks!

If a plane is missing a 337 form from over a decade ago, would it be considered un-airworthy? Thanks!

No. If you have the maintenance logs that show the 337 was accomplished on a certain date you are fine.

Just go to www.faa.gov and order the CD for your airplane, there should be a copy on file with the FAA. Keep the CD with your records or make a print out.

BTW, the only exception here is if the Form 337 is for additional fuel tanks, which must be kept in the airplane at all times.

BTW, the only exception here is if the Form 337 is for additional fuel tanks, which must be kept in the airplane at all times.

And the auto fuel STCs, plus any other that the STC instructions that say place a copy in the aircraft.

Thanks for the speedy response! I'm looking on the website for the CD request. Do I just call my local FSDO or is there a form to fill out online?

They don't take long to get, either. I ordered the CD for a plane I'm looking at buying, and got it in under a week. Wish there were an option to just download the PDF files, but this works pretty well.

The really interesting thing will be comparing the paper logs to the FAA records.

And the auto fuel STCs,

According to the EAA auto fuel instructions it does not require the 337's to be carried in the aircraft, only the AFM supplement.

EAA Auto fuel STC

I had the Peterson STC on a couple of airplanes as well and don't recall having to carry a copy of the Form 337.

plus any other that the STC instructions that say place a copy in the aircraft.

If specified, yes.

I used the link, only to get a message saying the aircraft couldn't be found. Maybe it would be best to call the office on Monday?

If you have the registration number, do a registration search to make sure you have the right serial number. I believe both have to be there and agree with what the FAA reg database says for it to work.

According to the EAA auto fuel instructions it does not require the 337's to be carried in the aircraft, only the AFM supplement.

What is the AFM supplement ??

As you can see in the STC instructions there is no supplement included.

How does any inspector know that the STC was applied properly?

What is the AFM supplement ??

Under "Instructions for STC Supplement":

1). Determine that the enclosed FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement has a raised STC seal in the lower left corner of the document. If it does not have this seal, it is not a valid document and should not be processed".

5). Place the Approved Flight Manual Supplement in the aircraft. It must be in the aircraft and available anytime the aircraft is being operated on unleaded auto fuel or 82UL avgas.

As you can see in the STC instructions there is no supplement included.

You claimed you just bought all new paperwork recently. Are you now saying the AFM supplement with the raised seal and the N number of your plane on it wasn't there?

How does any inspector know that the STC was applied properly?

He reviews the aircraft records and looks at the 337 in the records. If the 337 is not there he can access SPAS on the computer and pull it up from aircraft records.

Under "Instructions for STC Supplement":

1). Determine that the enclosed FAA Approved Flight Manual Supplement has a raised STC seal in the lower left corner of the document. If it does not have this seal, it is not a valid document and should not be processed".

5). Place the Approved Flight Manual Supplement in the aircraft. It must be in the aircraft and available anytime the aircraft is being operated on unleaded auto fuel or 82UL avgas.

You claimed you just bought all new paperwork recently. Are you now saying the AFM supplement with the raised seal and the N number of your plane on it wasn't there?

He reviews the aircraft records and looks at the 337 in the records. If the 337 is not there he can access SPAS on the computer and pull it up from aircraft records.

Yes it is there, it's the front 4 pages, (ya live ya learn) I took it as a title page.

but we inspectors don't have SPAS.

Would any of you know if a work order can substitute a 337? Would it be airworthy still without a work order? I've read conflicting information online.

Would any of you know if a work order can substitute a 337?

No, a work order is not required to be airworthy.

Would it be airworthy still without a work order? I've read conflicting information online.

That really depends upon what we are talking about. The W/O does not mean much, other than what was done. The return to service entry in the log would be a place to start.

Last edited:
The Form 337 is on file with the FAA. Order the CD and it will be there.

Maybe, we see 337s in the owner's history files of the aircraft that were never sent to the FAA for recording. yet the entry is in the log, and returned to service by the facility doing the work.

It's in regards to a crash that happened many years ago. It was fixed, but no 337 was filled out. The shop that did the work no longer has the W/O's. The logbook entry is very brief and doesn't really talk about the repairs done.

It's in regards to a crash that happened many years ago. It was fixed, but no 337 was filled out. The shop that did the work no longer has the W/O's. The logbook entry is very brief and doesn't really talk about the repairs done.

Typical many aircraft. It may have been repaired with out a major repair being done.

Unless the paperwork states it needs to be carried, the only regulatory need to carry a 337 is for fuel tanks installed in the passenger/baggage compartment.

I've got maybe 10 STCs to my plane (Autopilot, IFR GPSs, Tail modification, tip tanks, etc...) that have flight manual supplements (to supplement a nonexistent flight manual) and additional documents (pilot guides for the avionics) that must be carried, but the 337 stay with the aircraft records on the ground (and as pointed out, the FAA has duplicates).

Back