Airworthiness Cert

loudbagel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
Aircraft in question has an Airworthiness cert for N12345. However the aircraft has changed tail number to N54321(this is the tail number on the registration) . Does the previous Airworthiness cert work with the new reg or does it need to be updated?

Aircraft in question has an Airworthiness cert for N12345. However the aircraft has changed tail number to N54321(this is the tail number on the registration) . Does the previous Airworthiness cert work with the new reg or does it need to be updated?

It should be updated.

But is not required to be, because the certificate has the aircraft serial number on it also.

Last edited:
Tom is wrong. It must be updated within 10 days of affixing the new N-number.
Sec. 91.203

Civil aircraft: Certifications required.

(a) Except as provided in Sec. 91.715, no person may operate a civil aircraft unless it has within it the following:
(1) An appropriate and current airworthiness certificate. Each U.S. airworthiness certificate used to comply with this subparagraph (except a special flight permit, a copy of the applicable operations specifications issued under Sec. 21.197(c) of this chapter, appropriate sections of the air carrier manual required by parts 121 and 135 of this chapter containing that portion of the operations specifications issued under Sec. 21.197(c), or an authorization under Sec. 91.611) must have on it the registration number assigned to the aircraft under part 47 of this chapter. However, the airworthiness certificate need not have on it an assigned special identification number before 10 days after that number is first affixed to the aircraft. A revised airworthiness certificate having on it an assigned special identification number, that has been affixed to an aircraft, may only be obtained upon application to an FAA Flight Standards district office.

This is stated in the letter assigning the new N-number. Contact your FSDO for assistance.

Tom is wrong. It must be updated within 10 days of affixing the new N-number.

This is stated in the letter assigning the new N-number. Contact your FSDO for assistance.

So, you pen and ink it. :) :)

I've never read that before thanks Ron.

In all these years I've never run into a case in real life that the AWC did not have the right N number.

Last edited:
So, you pen and ink it. :) :)
Thanks for adding the smilies so we know you're joking. Pen&ink changes to FAA certs aren't well received.

I've never read that before thanks Ron.
Only reason I know it is I had to do it when I put my personal number on my plane.

In all these years I've never run into a case in real life that the AWC did not have the right N number.
Now you know why.

Thanks for the info guys!

BTW, the FSDO may want to take a look at the new N-number on the plane before issuing the new CofA (they did for me). They may also take your word for it and do it all by mail (I've heard of that happening, too). Be sure to ask about that when you call the FSDO. They may also require proof that the aircraft is currently in annual (i.e., a look at the logbook for the last annual inspection entry).

BTW, the FSDO may want to take a look at the new N-number on the plane before issuing the new CofA (they did for me). They may also take your word for it and do it all by mail (I've heard of that happening, too). Be sure to ask about that when you call the FSDO. They may also require proof that the aircraft is currently in annual (i.e., a look at the logbook for the last annual inspection entry).
on mine the guy at the fsdo asked me to snap a photo with my phone and email it to him. I told him we were on our way to the paint shop and the new number was only on with duct tape. He said he had to check that box so could I please borrow a different camera that could photograph duct tape and send him the photo.

on mine the guy at the fsdo asked me to snap a photo with my phone and email it to him. I told him we were on our way to the paint shop and the new number was only on with duct tape. He said he had to check that box so could I please borrow a different camera that could photograph duct tape and send him the photo.
Whatever works.

Now you know why.

I'd rather think it is because my customers are not into changing N numbers.

the AWCs that are changed, can be documented by FAA records on file at OKC each inspector can check, and issue upon a request by phone or e-mail.

I had one that was really tore up, faded, hard to read, one call to my PMI and it was in the mail.

Funny the reg says it must be there, it doesn't say who must put there.
That reg may not, but I believe there are others which cover altering an FAA-issued certificate, and IIRC, the potential penalties include jail time. I don't think even an Inspector is authorized to "alter" a certificate, just reissue a new one with different information on it and file the appropriate paperwork on the reissuance.

The requirements for clearly-visible and adequately-contrasting numbers are subject to interpretation, which might be the reason the FSDO wants pictures.

I'm surprised by the paint jobs that are sometimes allowed, assuming that the FSDO has ever seen them.

That reg may not, but I believe there are others which cover altering an FAA-issued certificate, and IIRC, the potential penalties include jail time. I don't think even an Inspector is authorized to "alter" a certificate, just reissue a new one with different information on it and file the appropriate paperwork on the reissuance.

A note of interest, I asked the examiner today about this question as he inspected the paper work on the 170.

I asked, what if the N number on the AWC was different that what was on the aircraft?

He said, "I am not sure, So I'd call the AWI at FSDO, see what they say."

I then quoted the reg you posted this AM, he looked it up on his phone. and simply stated "you live you learn".

I'd write a commendation letter to his boss. Guy didn't know the answer, admitted it, and then was sufficiently interested to follow up. Not something you see every day at the FSDO.

A note of interest, I asked the examiner today about this question as he inspected the paper work on the 170.

I asked, what if the N number on the AWC was different that what was on the aircraft?

He said, "I am not sure, So I'd call the AWI at FSDO, see what they say."

I then quoted the reg you posted this AM, he looked it up on his phone. and simply stated "you live you learn".

I'd write a commendation letter to his boss. Guy didn't know the answer, admitted it, and then was sufficiently interested to follow up. Not something you see every day at the FSDO.

There are a whole new crop of young workers at SEA FSDO, and they are really being helpful. I think they are trying to over come the reputation of the old FAA.

This guy has all the ratings he can get, all the way to ATP.and has spent all his life in GA.

Ask them. Just telling you what they wanted from me.

They would have to show me the requirement where it must be in an airworthy state at the time the AWC was issued.

to understand that, read the statement on the AWC.

Back