Airventure web survey

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Okay, fairly new here, but you all seem a fairly friendly group ... reminds me of a family reunion. A lot of fun, but you have to watch out for the grumpy great uncle and the crazy cousin :^).

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my thoughts on Oshkosh this year.

Just got an e-mail from EAA with attached web survey. Took about 15 minutes to answer. I've gone all but one year since 1994, but this was a short one for me - just Fri, Sat & Sun. Anyway, was just thinking about the survey and the show.

In typical pilot fashion, I'll start with a compliment and then start complaining. Thought they did an awesome job considering all the rain. Was a great show and I LOVED the night aerobatics (though my daughter lost about 2 lbs of blood to the skeeters). It's hard to say enough about the volunteers - they're practically professionals. All-in-all, I really enjoyed the show and am looking forward to next year as usual.

<rant on>

Now, the survey brought to mind a couple of complaints.
1) The EAA must really be screwing the food vendors, because cost of food at the show is simply stupid expensive. We ate most days at the Hanger Cafe ... kids are veggie so the wraps there we both delicious and healthy. That said, $38 for 3 lunches simply isn't acceptable. We usually got a good table and I chalked it up as $18 for lunch and $20 for the best view money can buy. Still, I think this price point is a bit much for many people.
2) I did homebuilt camping. Flew my own experimental into the show. While expensive, the show is great. I sucked up the camping fees and show fees no problem, but then they wanted to charge me $10/day for 1 car parking. I probably had $700 or so in camping and entrance fees that didn't bother me, but when I camped at Scholler I got a car in and they want me to pay for a car when I my experimental in ... just doesn't float.
3) I think they must be issuing a Gator or golf cart to every attendee. You can hardly walk the show anymore without being dang near run over. Public shuttles / trains have gotten much better in the last few years, but the Gators are just too much.

As I said, love the show, BUT I'm having a hard time considering the EAA as MY organization anymore ... seems to be that I find myself saying "they did this" or "they did that" instead of using the term "we".

<rant off>

Back