AirVenture Camp Scholler Dinner

What night would you be able to attend the Camp Scholler dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, we're in the month of AirVenture, and I want to get an idea of when we should do the annual AirVenture Camp Scholler dinner. The dates available are Tuesday and Friday.

The other nights are unavailable for the following reasons:
Monday: Steve Miller Band concert
Wednesday: Lightspeed Customer Appreciation Dinner; H.O.P.S. party
Thursday: UCAP meetup; Babes White House Dinner; SAFE dinner
Saturday: Watermelon Social at Seaplane Base; Night Air Show

Last edited:
Yeah Tuesday. Becoming a wonderful POA tradition. I doubt I can bring any yummies from home, we'll be pretty weight-limited.

ArgggH! I forgot about the Thursday Babes dinner. Since I won't be there until Wed remove my Thursday vote.

ArgggH! I forgot about the Thursday Babes dinner. Since I won't be there until Wed remove my Thursday vote.
Thursday wasn't an option (because of the Babes' Dinner). You voted for Friday!

May be a hitch in the gitalong, but IF I can make it at all, Tuesday is the best.

We're putting three guys in the 182. We are seriously weight limited. I'm even concerned about not having the weight for the HOPS party selection.

Credit card camping! Whoo hoo! LOL!

The flight plan is hilarious. 1:30 legs. Fuel, do it again.

Fat bunny rabbit 182 hopping across the prairie.

We're putting three guys in the 182. We are seriously weight limited. I'm even concerned about not having the weight for the HOPS party selection.

Credit card camping! Whoo hoo! LOL!

The flight plan is hilarious. 1:30 legs. Fuel, do it again.

Fat bunny rabbit 182 hopping across the prairie.

You're weight-limiting a Skylane? My pal used to fill the seats, the luggage bay, and the gas tanks and fly nonstop to Florida (6 hours). You bringing the Broncos to the Show?

We'll be pretty limited in the Cherokee, but its only a Cherokee. I'll have to leave some fuel behind for the camping gear, but it's more like 3:30 legs. We've done it before. I'd make a fuel stop regardless, I don't want to get into a potential traffic jam low on juice.

You're weight-limiting a Skylane? My pal used to fill the seats, the luggage bay, and the gas tanks and fly nonstop to Florida (6 hours). You bringing the Broncos to the Show?

We'll be pretty limited in the Cherokee, but its only a Cherokee. I'll have to leave some fuel behind for the camping gear, but it's more like 3:30 legs. We've done it before. I'd make a fuel stop regardless, I don't want to get into a potential traffic jam low on juice.
Three large guys in a 182 is weight limited. BTDT.

Three large guys in a 182 is weight limited. BTDT.

Yep.

615 lbs of humans. Plus 48 gallons of fuel leaves us with about 208 lbs of useful load.

Remove the weight of the tie down kit and boards for under the tires from the load available, and we're getting down to roughly 50 lbs per guy of stuff. Take out flight gear, and we're packing very light this year.

That may be too tight. We might have to plan (even) more stops.

Current plan is ...

KAPA - KLBF
KLBF - KSUX
KSUX - KALO
A probable stop...
KALO - KUNU
KUNU - KOSH

Climbs at anything near temps like today will be sucking down fuel like no tomorrow, and we won't average the usual 130 knots GS.

Interestingly we had joked about buying the 3100 lb MGTOW STC, but when heavily loaded and flying short legs, it becomes a max landing weight problem and you don't always get the full 150 extra pounds due to not burning enough fuel down, depending on leg length.

The STC actually can almost be negated if you carry mostly "stuff" and not fuel for longer legs. It gets you more fuel, but not more "stuff" after a point.

There's a major trigger for the shorter legs. We have one aboard who would prefer not planning landings with less than 2 hrs fuel on board.

Certainly 2 hours reserve is high, but it's really difficult to measure to 48 exactly on the long-range tanks, and even more difficult to tell if you landed with one hour of fuel. The stick just isn't all that accurate at small volumes with uneven ramps and different nose strut heights.

Conservstively, that's 26 gallons on board at all times. Leaving 22 gallons for each leg. Or just over 1:30 legs. (All of those legs are pushing slightly over that when the sluggish climb on a hot day is included at 90 IAS. It's built to have good slush room for poor performance or burning higher than 13 GPH.

Hopping across the prairie and Midwest, a little over 1:30 at a time...

:)

Okay, it's pretty clear that TUESDAY is the winner for dinner! Sorry for those who cannot make it that night.

And the location is Camp Scholler, on 48th St, just south of Lindbergh. that's south of the FlyMarket for reference.

And the location is Camp Scholler, on 48th St, just south of Lindbergh. that's south of the FlyMarket for reference.

Grant, when you come to our party in the N40, how do you get there? I've never found a good connection between Scholler and the N40.

Grant, when you come to our party in the N40, how do you get there? I've never found a good connection between Scholler and the N40.
I park at Friar Tucks. :)

If you want to use EAA transportation to get there, I'd take the N40 bus to the N40 entrance gate, then take the trams down to Hangar D. It's a short walk from there.

Otherwise we'll probably have someone able to do a ride out and pick you up at the Super 8 gate. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to drop people off there afterwards too, since the trams will have stopped running.

Last edited:
So excited! got get packed tonight. I get picked up Sat morning and hopefully will get the right seat for the approach into Osh. My first time flying in.

Okay, is everyone who voted for Tuesday going to be able to make it for the dinner? It will be jambalaya and veggie chili again, because they were hits last year. If you want to bring something, beverages, deserts, chips/salsa, cornbread, etc. are ideas, but NOT required! Post here if possible so we have an idea who and what will be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting new friends!

Tuesday is fine for me. As to what I may bring, it will depend on if I can get "off campus" or not.

Wife and I are hoping to be there. We'll be flying into West Bend sometime Tuesday from Quincy, IL.

I should be able to make it as well, and looking forward to meeting as many PoA'ers as possible!

Grant, we are going to try to make it for dinner tonight. (Mary, Becca, and me).

What is your Scholler campsite, with directions, please!

Alan B. (who was there briefly last year), Dale P. and Ron D. will probably stop by, if they can find the dinner.

Not gonna make it. We sat on "the beach" along 27 and watched the hilarity.

Maule groundloop with a wingtip strike, and the last airplane to land this evening was a Centurion who landed Rumway 09 after being cleared for the downwind to 27.

We applauded the dumbassery while nursing our foot blisters. :)

(My New Balance are letting me down this year! Ouch! Even with gel insoles!)

Saw Kent showing off his uncle's Mooney to someone after running into him this morning and checking it out. It's a cream-puff.

Ran into the CAP pilot who landed the 172 successfully on a city road at night after an engine failure.

Had her hold up the CAP magazine with her story in it that came out this month...

aefd10ca-4dc0-a661.jpg

... she was about to go give a safety seminar on it. She had a re-enactment presentation. I couldn't go.

A lovely day today, as always.

If anyone wants to buy me one of these... I'll take it without complaint...

aefd10ca-4e2b-3956.jpg

Or this... I'm not picky. ;)

aefd10ca-4ee6-6057.jpg

aefd10ca-4efc-73a9.jpg

aefd10ca-4f10-6697.jpg

Have a nice dinner over there!

Had a wonderful time meeting folks at the dinner. Great job by Leslie and Grant putting this together!!! :yesnod::yesnod:

Ran into David White who said Jay would be back later (got to see Atlas and the piles of stuff he can carry. Ha.) and when Jay got "home" to the North 40, said hi. Jay mumbled something about what Grant did to him... Something about tequila. ;)

But, what goes at Oshkosh, stays at Oshkosh. :)

Just made my way back to where I'm staying, off-field north of Basler/Orion. Thanks all for the great dinner and a pleasure meeting all!

I'm sorry that proffered rides back to the extremeties of the grounds didn't work out as I'd hoped. I think my favorite (?) line was "could you please get our friend off our tent?"

Not gonna make it. We sat on "the beach" along 27 and watched the hilarity.

Maule groundloop with a wingtip strike, and the last airplane to land this evening was a Centurion who landed Rumway 09 after being cleared for the downwind to 27.

We applauded the dumbassery while nursing our foot blisters. :)

(My New Balance are letting me down this year! Ouch! Even with gel insoles!)

Saw Kent showing off his uncle's Mooney to someone after running into him this morning and checking it out. It's a cream-puff.

Ran into the CAP pilot who landed the 172 successfully on a city road at night after an engine failure.

Had her hold up the CAP magazine with her story in it that came out this month...

aefd10ca-4dc0-a661.jpg

... she was about to go give a safety seminar on it. She had a re-enactment presentation. I couldn't go.

Have a nice dinner over there!

Dang, I wanted to go to Sarah's talk, but didn't see it on the schedule. I looked!

We had a great dinner!

I'm sorry that proffered rides back to the extremeties of the grounds didn't work out as I'd hoped. I think my favorite (?) line was "could you please get our friend off our tent?"

He was still intoxicated the next morning. Nothing like flying 4 hours nursing a hangover that size. Sorry I had to bail Osh early, a new aviation less on learned. Great party, I was glad I could help a little.

The dinner was wonderful. Both the vegetarian chili and Jambalaya were great. Steingar is more fun when he has had a few too many to drink.

aefd10ca-4dc0-a661.jpg

A lovely day today, as always.

You need to put her picture in the Hotties thread.

Back