AirVenture Camp Scholler 2010

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, we need to start planning the PoA Camp Scholler compound for this year. Leslie and I cannot arrive until Sunday, by which time we'll need to be even further out than we were last year.

Can someone who's planning to arrive Saturday or earlier do what we did last year and stake out a largish space for the compound? Last year we actually purchased a few camping passes for people that they picked up when they arrived. This year it's possible to purchase the passes ahead of time. The issue I see with that is if we do that there will be nothing to display on the tent to justify taking such a large space Saturday.

I'm sure we can work something out, though. We'll be bringing the 10-person tent and all the kitchen gear again. We decided that it will be better to get more of the food in the local grocery store closer to using it.

Missa, will you be bringing a PoA banner for the site?

I also started a "lessons learned" thread last year after we returned.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30467

Edit: It reminds me that a lot of people thought we should try to do it in the North 40. Anyone want to make that happen? (I should note that our campsite and Missa's both entirely filled our respective vehicles, so we would need a way to get all that stuff to the campsite.)

Last edited:
One thing to "justify" the large area would be to have folks who (like me) prepurchased their campsite e-mail the receipt info. I expect that would be sufficient to show anyone who asked - "Why yes, our group will be trickling in, and we've purchased all these lots".

Y'all airplane campers sure know how to camp in style! Filled TWO vehicles? Wow! Guess you aren't sawing the handles off your toothbrushes and using a Sierra cup and a Lexan spoon for dinnerware. Last time we went to Oshkosh, we parked in the North 40, and it was a hoot to watch the clown-car-unstuffing acts, people unfolding entire living-room suites, kitchens, king-sized beds, a garage for the bicycles, and so forth. They weren't getting away from it all-- they'd taken it all with them. We pitched our tiny tent, staked it down, fluffed our sleeping bags, and headed for the gate. When we got back a couple of hours later, some of our neighbors were still unpacking.
W&B? Is that some new country music group?

I've decided I'm too old to sleep on the ground unless someone is paying me to do it (I feel the same way about jumping out of aircraft). Last year I managed to camp at Osh for a week with what I could stuff in/on my Miata. Even kept the passenger seat empty! This year, however, I'm bringing family, so we're taking the Forester. Not gonna bring too much gear, just tent and air mattresses, a stove, and bikes. I'm looking forward to the bike this year - it makes the distance to/from the gates/showers/etc in scholler much easier (we don't have as good bus service as the North 40 does).

There's a difference between "get away from it all" camping where one wants to join the environment, and "hang out with your friends" camping where you make the best of the fact that there's no swimming pool or concierge. OSH strikes me as the second sort - the only "nature" that belongs in Scholler is cows. Now, when my daughter gets older, if she wants to do the AT I'll go with her and we'll do the "bare essentials" style camping. Maybe this time I'll go north-to-south.

I think you'd have to arrange to have several planes meet somewhere outside of Ripon and try to arrive together in order to get a large group area in the North 40. I think you'd meet resistance from the parking attendants in the North 40 if you tried to save spots for others that were to arrive at a later time.

I think you'd have to arrange to have several planes meet somewhere outside of Ripon and try to arrive together in order to get a large group area in the North 40. I think you'd meet resistance from the parking attendants in the North 40 if you tried to save spots for others that were to arrive at a later time.

I agree for the north 40 - unless you're with a mass arrival (heck even then) you go where they tell you.

But for Scholler it's easier.

I still don't know exactly what days I'll be there, but I'll probably do my usual: drive out, and just camp "wherever" in Scholler.
But I will be making the rounds on the bicycle... hope to meet a bunch of you folks this year.

Missa, will you be bringing a PoA banner for the site?

The powers that be said don't make a banner as we are changing the logo. After logo change you can make one.

Since the logo still hasn't changed and there probally will not be time to make a "flag" I may grap some poster board and paint then wrap it in plastic.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how would one consider Osh to be getting away from anything? For that week it's the busiest airport in the world and the traffic and congestion in the area (road or air) is as bad if not worse than New York City. Grant and Leslie did a great job of turning a patch of grass into a hotel last year. You want to get away from it all? Go to 6Y9.

Y'all have fun, I'm planning on staying home this year. Then again I may change my mind last minute if some other people from here decide to fly out for a day or two.

I won't be doing the Scholler thing because I'm flying in with Otis Air (Shane) and 48 other Cherokee pilots! I know, I keep talking about it. Hard not to, its really cool.

Agree with the comments vis-a-vis the North 40. We'd need to set up a formation flight of ships and land together to stake out sufficient room. That would be rally cool, though. And having other folks mule in a bunch of gear would be way cool! Perhaps I'll use my experience from the Cherokee fly-in and try and arrange something another year.

I've long had comments similar to Amelia's, but the North woods this ain't. Moreover, most of the other attendants are sufficiently ancient that I can understand their desire for creature comforts. I will happily make the trek down to the POA compound and bring whatever I can (which won't be much, there are numerous threads on the weight limits of a Cherokee 140). I certainly look forward to seeing everyone.

This is depressing. This will be the first year since I started flying that I will be too far away to even consider making a "quick day trip" to OSH. :(

Back