Airtech coating for hangar floor...anyone use it?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Getting closer to completion of the hangar. I want to coat the floor although I may have to wait till next spring for some good temps.

Quote from Airtech $2800 for supplies for 3000 square foot floor. I've read 1 post saying it was the best. Anyone install it in their hangar?

Getting closer to completion of the hangar. I want to coat the floor although I may have to wait till next spring for some good temps.

Quote from Airtech $2800 for supplies for 3000 square foot floor. I've read 1 post saying it was the best. Anyone install it in their hangar?

What's wrong with Home Depot?
Seal-Krete $120

Epoxy Seal Armor Gray 921 5-gal. Concrete and Garage Floor Paint

http://tinyurl.com/oudz768

Rustoleum makes good garage floor epoxy paint. Just bought a 2-1/2car garage kit for $99, need to measure the hangar and see if it's enough. I did my garage and like it. Two colors--tan or gray, both come with color chips to sprinkle in or not. Oil resistant, won't mark from hot tires, etc. mine came from the orang ?Big a Box store, but I'm sure it's at several others, too.

The only caveat to all this is MAKE SURE IT IS WARM ENOUGH AND WILL STAY WARM ENOUGH while the paint cures. My brother in law put his and it got cold that night and made an unholy mess (not the most handy guy to begin with ... I think that's the last project he ever tried).

My neighbor put the standard (whatever they sell at Lowes) garage finish on the floor of his hangar (and he flies a Jacobs-powered Waco so oil on the floor is common). It was easy (other than finding a place to park the Waco in the interim, ended up in my hangar) and has held up well.

is AirTech water or solvent based?
solids content?
Will you do one coat and be done? Or add a clear coat over the top?

As with most things, prepping (the surface) is critical.

The Rustoleum kit comes with surface prep stuff. You supply a disposable mop to spread it around, and water to rinse it off (a squeegee is optional, but helps it dry faster so you can paint the next day).

As with most things, prepping (the surface) is critical.

This is key.

I developed polyurethane coatings, foams etc. I have had a side business for several years installing epoxy & polyaspartics in commercial, industrial & residential applications.

If you really want the coating to stick, especially new concrete, rent a diamond grinder and heads. It usually costs about $200-300 for a day. Attach a shop vac and grind the surface to remove the top millimeter or so. This gets any dirt, curing compounds and especially the laitence off the surface and opens up fresh pores for the coating to really bond. The acid etch cleaners don't do enough to get this crap off. There are videos on YouTube about how to install floor coatings.

If you want to do it yourself please go to a PPG Porter or sherwin Williams and get some kits of industrial epoxy. It will be more than the rustoleum kits but will hold up way better. The rustoleum seems like a decent product, it seems most people put it down to thin. I shoot for 10-15 mils DFT for thi type of application as a minimum. That means 100-150 sq ft per gallon, max. Less if the material is not 100% solids.

Also temperature is a big deal with epoxies. Make sure it doesn't get to cold.

Good luck

Dan

Back