Airspeed Indicator Error

teamcoltra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rev. Travis
Today during training my airspeed indicator went backwards while trying a takeoff... we pulled power and parked at the airport, one of the mechanics came out and before they towed it to have it blown out and stuff... he saw some mud got into the tube and got it out.

I did a fast taxi, all is good. I come around and do a takeoff, that was awesome.... so we decide to fly back to home base.

Do I need to have a mechanic take a look at it even though it's working fine now?

If the work was done by a licensed mechanic who gave you a properly-signed log entry, nothing further is required. If not, you might want to have the work checked by an A&P.

Were they "confident" they got it all out? LIke others have said, if they were signing it off then I would be ok with it, but if not you might want to make sure its all out.
--How did mud get into your pitot tube?

Were they "confident" they got it all out? LIke others have said, if they were signing it off then I would be ok with it, but if not you might want to make sure its all out.
--How did mud get into your pitot tube?

So I might have misspoke I thought it was a mechanic, but it sounds like he is just the guy that runs the machine that clears out the static? If that is different? I didn't get a sign off.

He wasn't "confident" per se, but suggested I go and try it and see... and it worked. I already have the mechanic looking at my plane in a week or so, so I would /rather/ just have it all done at once... but.. you know... safety.

Likely fixed right but you must ensure you have a maintenance record entry done when ever maintenance occurs.

So I might have misspoke I thought it was a mechanic, but it sounds like he is just the guy that runs the machine that clears out the static? If that is different? I didn't get a sign off.

He wasn't "confident" per se, but suggested I go and try it and see... and it worked. I already have the mechanic looking at my plane in a week or so, so I would /rather/ just have it all done at once... but.. you know... safety.
Then don't fly it again until your mechanic checks it over.

He "blew it out"? As in using pressurized air? have your ASI checked, high pressure air can damage it, which is why you are not supposed to blow in your pitot tube (that's what she said!)...

He "blew it out"? As in using pressurized air? have your ASI checked, high pressure air can damage it, which is why you are not supposed to blow in your pitot tube (that's what she said!)...
Not a problem if you disconnect the line at the ASI, and I hope that's what they did. In fact, I can't imagine how they'd do it otherwise -- how else could you blow the line clear without both ends open?

We had mud daubers in the left pitot tube of the Navajo once. Right side was fine.

Alternately, someone confused the plane for a Jeep. :)

Around here, these critters love building nests in pitot tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber
he-slimed-me.jpg

I've been daubed!

Typical blow out involves disconnection. I remove the tube and blow from the back

Back