Airspaces question

eng4ksa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eng4ksa
Hi,

For the first pic, I'm just wondering about the DEFENSE AREA, is it class E starts from 1300 MSL? What is beneath it? Is it G ?

For the second pic, which class are the two private airports? Are they G from surface to 1200?

Attachments

• IMG_5930.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5931.JPG
    IMG_5931.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 63
For the first pic, I'm just wondering about the DEFENSE AREA
Defense area: 14 CFR 99.3.

is it class E starts from 1300 MSL? What is beneath it? Is it G ?
Yes: "differing floors [of controlled airspace] greater than 700’ above the ground are annotated by a [blue zipper] symbol and a number indicating the floor."

For the second pic, which class are the two private airports? Are they G from surface to 1200?
Yes: "Class E Airspace exists at 1200’ AGL unless designated otherwise ... Controlled airspace floors of 700’ above the ground are defined by a magenta vignette". There's a magenta vignette around KPHK, but Duda and Okeelanta are outside it.

Quotes are from the Aeronautical Charts User's Guide.

Last edited:
Hi,

For the first pic, I'm just wondering about the DEFENSE AREA, is it class E starts from 1300 MSL? What is beneath it? Is it G ?

The reason why the two private airport are located in Class G from surface to 1200 agl is because they do not have an instrument approach. You will see the same situation at some public airports.

The reason why the two private airport are located in Class G from surface to 1200 agl is because they do not have an instrument approach.

Some of these non-towereds also have ultralights and others who want to do pattern work on marginal days with 1sm and 'clear of clouds' minimums.

Some of these non-towereds also have ultralights and others who want to do pattern work on marginal days with 1sm and 'clear of clouds' minimums.

Can you provide an example of an airport with a published instrument approach with class G at 1200 agl?

Can you provide an example of an airport with a published instrument approach with class G at 1200 agl?

Not my point. An airport with Class E floor at 1200 or higher abutting G to the surface allows pattern work clear of clouds. Since most patterns altitudes are 800 to 1000 agl.

Not my point. An airport with Class E floor at 1200 or higher abutting G to the surface allows pattern work clear of clouds. Since most patterns altitudes are 800 to 1000 agl.

Yes, but the airport does not have the option of setting the floor of the Class E. If the have an instrument approach, it is 700 irregardless of pattern work they want to do.

Airspace to accommodate pattern work, that's a new one for me. And I read it on the internet so it's gotta be true.

A defense area is ***NOT*** controlled airspace. The floor of the controlled airspace are the MSL altitudes between the zig-zag lines (non-standard controlled air floors).

Airspace to accommodate pattern work, that's a new one for me. And I read it on the internet so it's gotta be true.
It's not completely ridiculous. When I was renting from 76G (and might have even been while I was still a student pilot), they lowered their pattern altitude from 1000 for (so I was told) just that reason. Unfortunately, if that was the reason it was poorly thought out, as they chose 800* instead of 600. I don't think there is any reason they could not have chosen 600, however. AFAIK they still have not, though.

*Although 76G does not have an instrument approach, it is in the large cutout surrounding Detroit's airspace where the floor of Class E is at 700 regardless - if not lower.

My God man. No ADS-B nor robot pilots flying those things. And Cirrus didn't build them. They're going to kill us allllllllllll!

LOL.

Back