Airspace Annoyance

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
AIM 3-4-4 says:

A warning area is airspace of defined dimensions, extending from three nautical miles outward from the coast of the U.S., that contains activity that may be hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft. The purpose of such warning areas is to warn nonparticipating pilots of the potential danger. A warning area may be located over domestic or international waters or both.

The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge says:

Warning areas are similar in nature to restricted areas; however, the United States government does not have sole jurisdiction over the airspace. A warning area is airspace of defined dimensions, extending from 12 NM outward from the coast of the United States, containing activity that may be hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft. The purpose of such areas is to warn nonparticipating pilots of the potential danger. A warning area may be located over domestic or international waters or both. The airspace is designated with a “W” followed by a number (e.g., W-237).

Looking at sectional charts, and in here, it seems that some warning areas are 3 miles from the coast, others are 12, and others are just wherever they decided to put them. Ive noticed similar situations with other airspace classes. The stupid AIM and other books give the 'typical' dimensions of airspaces, when they might as well just say that the airspace is whatever dimension they need to be, and its dimensions are on the chart.

Warning Areas used to start 3 miles off the coast; however, in 1988, the U.S. extended its soverignty out to 12 miles, so newer ones start at 12 miles.

Isn't international water twelve miles out by treaty? It seems I've heard this but can't recall where.

Isn't international water twelve miles out by treaty? It seems I've heard this but can't recall where.

Third United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea, the provisions came into force in '94. Nations may claim up to a twelve-mile territorial limit, and may claim further as economic zones and such.

The original 3-mile limit was set based on the theoretical maximum range of a black-powder cannon. Most nations have gone to a 12-mile limit, a couple still use three miles.

Ron Wanttaja

Sounds like there ought to be an update somewhere, then.

I agree, Tony, that is annoying, because that could give someone who doesn't know better the impression that it's always that way. Looking at the San Jose Class C airspace, it definitely doesn't follow the conventions.

I agree, Tony, that is annoying, because that could give someone who doesn't know better the impression that it's always that way. Looking at the San Jose Class C airspace, it definitely doesn't follow the conventions.

AFaIK there's nothing to prevent a warning area closer than 12 or even 3 miles, the restrictions work the other way around. IOW international law prevents the US from establishing restricted areas outside our territorial limits but doesn't require them inside.

Sooo anyone know what "activity that may be hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft" entails????

Sooo anyone know what "activity that may be hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft" entails????
I think it means that they may be sortie-ing at high speed to intercept incoming unknowns, and/or shooting them down in that area.

But this is a fact-free speculation! :smilewinkgrin:

-Skip

Aerial and naval gunnery, live missile shoots (air-air, surface-air, air-surface, etc), aerial bombardment, and the like. That's pretty hazardous to intruders entering the airspace. Running intercepts doesn't require R/W airspace (you can do that in a MOA) but in W-areas, they intercept and shoot down target drones.

so the AIM hasnt been updated since either 1988 or 1994. how...comforting

I think the lesson to be had there is "always check the chart!" :yes:

Back