Airspace and Communication Questions

mgpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
All --

I'm planning on doing a little XC while I'm back down in Atlanta in a few weeks from FTY up to 49A, which is about 50 miles nearly due north of FTY. I have two questions regarding this:

1) As I head north, the FTY Class D abuts the MGE Class D. I've always flown either east or west out of FTY and never due north. How do I need to handle this? I assume that FTY ATC will not hand me off to MGE ATC, but that I need to contact MGE before entering his airspace.

2) On the way back, I plan to try to pick up flight following out of 49A. Let's assume that I am cruising at 4500 and want to start my descent as I am over the MGE class D airspace (with a 3600 ft ceiling). Should I advise the ATC when I am beginning my descent? And unless he tells me otherwise, should I assume he is coordinating with MGE ATC that I am entering their airspace?

Any guidance here is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Will you be requesting Traffic Advisories (aka Flight Following)?

Otherwise, I've found Class D towers to be quire helpful (mostly). My SOP is to call 10 miles out and usually that's that.

I even call when overflying the airspace as a courtesy, even though it's not require, unless I'm way up or IFR.

All --

I'm planning on doing a little XC while I'm back down in Atlanta in a few weeks from FTY up to 49A, which is about 50 miles nearly due north of FTY. I have two questions regarding this:

1) As I head north, the FTY Class D abuts the MGE Class D. I've always flown either east or west out of FTY and never due north. How do I need to handle this? I assume that FTY ATC will not hand me off to MGE ATC, but that I need to contact MGE before entering his airspace.

2) On the way back, I plan to try to pick up flight following out of 49A. Let's assume that I am cruising at 4500 and want to start my descent as I am over the MGE class D airspace (with a 3600 ft ceiling). Should I advise the ATC when I am beginning my descent? And unless he tells me otherwise, should I assume he is coordinating with MGE ATC that I am entering their airspace?

Any guidance here is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

You just need to make radio contact or make sure the controller you're talking to will coordinate. If you ultimately climb out and overfly the delta, no radio call is necessary and is usually an annoyance to the controller since anything above their delta is usually tracon's airspace. Depending on local procedure, you may be able to have your tower coordinate with the other tower before departure. Just ask when you make your initial call to ground or clearance delivery.

I'm familiar with the airspaces you refer to. Yep, when departing FTY, going east or west around MGE (as you climb) is the wise move. Otherwise, you can ask FTY for a freq change then call MGE and hope you get a quick response.

If you are on flight following in the ATL area, it's always a good idea to advise controllers when doing altitude changes even if they haven't asked you to do so. Plenty of times they'll tell you to stay where you are because of traffic. Now on the descent over MGE thing, in theory, the TRACON controllers are supposed to coordinate with MGE if it looks like you'll be encroaching on the Class D. However, this is a really busy area. I wouldn't just assume that they've done that. Either stay above MGE or confirm with ATC that they've spoken with the MGE tower about you.

snip...

I even call when overflying the airspace as a courtesy, even though it's not require, unless I'm way up or IFR.

First time I called (thinking I was being courteous) a class D going directly over them, they told me their airspace did not go that high and suggested I contact center. On the way back over, I did not contact...

2) On the way back, I plan to try to pick up flight following out of 49A. Let's assume that I am cruising at 4500 and want to start my descent as I am over the MGE class D airspace (with a 3600 ft ceiling). Should I advise the ATC when I am beginning my descent?
It's never a bad idea unless the freq is really busy, but it's not required unless the controller told you "Advise prior to any altitude change" or instructed you to maintain 4500.

And unless he tells me otherwise, should I assume he is coordinating with MGE ATC that I am entering their airspace?
You certainly can as long as the controller knows you're descending. However, I wouldn't count on it if you don't advise the controller of that change in your trajectory.

Back