Airports serving Indy

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
My son and I are heading for the Indy 500 next weekend. Last time we used Indy Exec (KTYQ) and were happy enough with them, but the $20 / night tie-down fee is excessive I think. So I'm looking for an alternative.

A search through the forums suggests Eagle Creek (KEYE) is a good choice. We're staying in Zionsville. Any thoughts? Thanks.

My son and I are heading for the Indy 500 next weekend. Last time we used Indy Exec (KTYQ) and were happy enough with them, but the $20 / night tie-down fee is excessive I think. So I'm looking for an alternative.

A search through the forums suggests Eagle Creek (KEYE) is a good choice. We're staying in Zionsville. Any thoughts? Thanks.

We used Greenwoood (HFY) last year for the F-1 race, and I think the tiedown was standard ($10/night), but I cannot remember if they waived that for buying gas. Just been too long. Nice FBO, though, and very easy on/off to I-65.

I have flown in to Greenwood (HFY) 3 times (once with Bill) usually staying at least two nights and have yet to be charged a tie down fee. It's kinda self serve for the parking. You just pull into a spot and tie down yourself. I've never been met by a line man. Airport FBO is nice, staff is friendly and parking ramp is secure. Easy to get to once race is over. I will be flying in again this year for the F1 Race in June.

Last edited:
Hendricks County (2R2) is a nice, just a few years old airport, and probably the closest to the speedway, but a little bit of a drive from Zionsville.

There's always my home, Mt. Comfort, I've heard the FBO there Indy Aero does great work for those visiting, but again, that's on the Eastside, completely opposite from where you are going to be. But in terms of driving in Indy, even with the Super 70 project going on, it won't take long to get from anywhere to anywhere.. until you get into the race traffic, then it doesn't matter where you are coming from, it's going to take a long time no matter what.

Don't have much experience with what the local airports charge for tiedowns, etc... sorry..

I have landed at EYE and had lunch at Rick's. Nice airport. I got fuel and they waved the parking fee, but I was not overnight.

Back