Airports per capita

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
OK, I've been curious about this for a long time, and I finally found some data to find out what the deal is. I now have a spreadsheet for airports per capita in the US.

I was really mostly curious as to how Wisconsin ranked. We're a very GA-friendly state, but apparently not overly so: We rank 14th in number of airports (131), and 18th in airports per capita (2.38 per 100,000 people).

The top five for number of airports:
State: Number of airports
AK: 417
TX: 391
CA: 262
MI: 235
OH: 175
Lowest: DC with 3, RI with 8.
Mean: 103
Median: 90

Top five for airports per capita:
State: Airports per 100,000 people
AK: 63.62
ND: 14.19
MT: 13.16
SD: 9.73
ID: 8.61
The worst: District of Columbia and the DC-3 are at 0.54. For "real" states, New Jersey sucks the most at 0.58 airports per 100,000.
Mean: 4.07 (Alaska throws this way off, there are only 10 states above average!)
Median: 1.92

Total airports: 5250
US airports per 100,000 people: 1.79

The "Don't gloat, Ed Fred" award goes to Michigan. While they're #4 in number of airports, Wisconsin edged 'em out in airports per capita.

The overpopulation award goes to Calfornia, who despite a #3 ranking in number of airports is a dismal #46 in airports per capita. At the other end of the spectrum is (shock!) Wyoming, ranking #41 in number of airports but #6 in airports per capita.

Who knew Excel could be so fun? :D

Interesting post, Kent. But, if Ohio ranks 5th in # of airports, where does it rank per capita.

Scott

Kent - where did you get the info?

How about an airports / square mile number? Would be interesting to see how that plays out.

Michigan ranks #1 in airports reopened by PoA members. Take that WI! LOL

Last edited:
I shall retract my statement about Michigan being the best state to fly in. Some of you may be surprised at which states grabbed the top 2 places based on

Fuel cost
Airports/capita
Airports/land area
Total number of airports

Attachments

• AirportFun.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Total airports: 5250 ??

I have data that indicates many more than that.

Attachments

• airports.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
excellent, iowa is the number 2 fun place to fly.

tonycondon said:
excellent, iowa is the number 2 fun place to fly.

IOWA!?

FUN?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Steve said:
Total airports: 5250 ??

I have data that indicates many more than that.

I went state by state on AOPA for public use airports. Strips like Tom and Diana's wouldn't be included.

According to Steve's spreadsheet, there are 61 In New Mexico, hmm...What am I missing? Looks like I gotta compile some stuff.

Alaska kicks ass! MWAHAHAHAH! :)

Of those 417 airports, my FBO allows me to land at about 12 of them. :(

--Kath

redcloud said:
Interesting post, Kent. But, if Ohio ranks 5th in # of airports, where does it rank per capita.

32nd, 1.53/100,000. Too many people. :D

N2212R said:
Kent - where did you get the info?

AirNav for the airports (click "Browse by US State"), and some site I googled for population data.

How about an airports / square mile number? Would be interesting to see how that plays out.

Yeah, that's the next step. I don't think Alaska will win that one!

Back