Airports north of Dallas?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I may be flying down to Texas next month with my friend Carol to visit her daughter who lives in Frisco, just north of Dallas. Anybody have a suggestion as to the best airport in that area to use? I don’t need big and fancy with a hangar…just a cozy little airfield will do. Thanks!

Diana said:
I may be flying down to Texas next month with my friend Carol to visit her daughter who lives in Frisco, just north of Dallas. Anybody have a suggestion as to the best airport in that area to use? I don’t need big and fancy with a hangar…just a cozy little airfield will do. Thanks!

How about McKinney? KTKI Not too far from Frisco.

Diana:

As the Stace Shuttle suggests, TKI is likely your best bet, big airport with pleasant service (do not go looking for cheap gas, $4.79 Sunday), plus it benefits from the good karma of having been the field at which I soloed.

You could also contact Bo Boggs ("The Old Man" here), who bases at Aero Country (T31), which is a very nice little field a little closer to Frisco, and (perhaps) more your style. Aero Country has no "public" parking, but I suspect that you could arrange something easily enough with a little advance planning. No fuel there, but there are several fields in the vicinity and on your route with good fuel prices.

Finally, depending upon where in Frisco you may be, Addison (KADS), my home plate, could even work; Frisco's a quick "pop up the pike," so to sepak, on the Dallas North Tollway.

Sadly, there was an airport at Frisco, KDDJ, brand-new and ready for development, but the forward-thinking Frisco City Council bought it for the specific purpose of... closing it. You can still see a nice runway... in dirt where the concrete was. :mad: http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/Airfields_TX_Dallas_N.htm#frisco

Keep us posted on when you're headed this way; I know I (and others) will want to see, and feed, you.

/s/ Spike

P.S.- Is that Carol T you're talking about?

=========

P.P.S.-

Stacey- Good to see your donkey here!

We could find a way to make you welcome at Tango Thirtyone. Nice 3000' paved runway, only a little tricky when the wind has an easterly component to it. There are still 2 areas that can be used for "transient" parking. Overnights with some prior arrangements.

No fuel or FBO with cookies and computer weather. However, Sherman, Mesquite and Gainesville have CHEAP self serve gas. Last report $3.36. Although we are in McKinney, Frisco is just across the road (literally).

If you wish, I can set up the parking (I think. I have done it before) and annotate an airport diagram for you so you know where to go.

Speed said:
How about McKinney? KTKI Not too far from Frisco.
Thanks Stacey. I wasn't sure how far away that one was (not too familiar with the area), or if there were any closer to Frisco. I flew into McKinney years ago. Hitched a ride into town with someone who worked there (she was on her lunch break) and ate at a neat little cafe-type place.

Diana:
The key airports have all been mentioned. We'd sure love to see you. I'm at Addison like Spike and can arrange parking and some ground transportation (perhaps a hanger just depending on what's going on at the time, but at least surface parking in front of my hanger.) Give me a call.

From where the Old Man mentioned, north Frisco is just across the street, from McKinney, can take some time depending on time of day (althought not far, cross town traffic can be a mess early and late). From Addison, just up the tollway (going home traffic is the only real issue.)

I'd love to buy lunch or coffee if you're here when I am.

Best,

Dave

SCCutler said:
TKI is likely your best bet, big airport plus it benefits from the good karma of having been the field at which I soloed.
Well, that makes it famous! :) Although I like small airports better than big. Just a farm girl from rural America.

SCCutler said:
Finally, depending upon where in Frisco you may be, Addison (KADS), my home plate, could even work
I flew into ADS a few times when my son was going to school down there. I always lined up for the interstate mistaking it for the runway...lots of concrete down there! Didn't care for ADS much, except they had the nicest "ladies room" of any FBO I had ever been in. :yes:

SCCutler said:
Sadly, there was an airport at Frisco, KDDJ, brand-new and ready for development, but the forward-thinking Frisco City Council bought it for the specific purpose of... closing it. You can still see a nice runway... in dirt where the concrete was. :mad: http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/Airfields_TX_Dallas_N.htm#frisco
Wow, I just read that...what a sad story! I noticed your name in the commentary.

SCCutler said:
Keep us posted on when you're headed this way; I know I (and others) will want to see, and feed, you.
Yummmmm, food. :) And it would be great to spend time with you gentlemen from Texas.

SCCutler said:
P.S.- Is that Carol T you're talking about?
That would be Carol Hays, the little blond from Kansas City that comes to Gaston's with us. I would love to see Carol T. again. We need to work on her and coax her into making Gaston's next year.

The Old Man said:
We could find a way to make you welcome at Tango Thirtyone. Nice 3000' paved runway, only a little tricky when the wind has an easterly component to it. There are still 2 areas that can be used for "transient" parking. Overnights with some prior arrangements.

No fuel or FBO with cookies and computer weather. However, Sherman, Mesquite and Gainesville have CHEAP self serve gas. Last report $3.36. Although we are in McKinney, Frisco is just across the road (literally).

If you wish, I can set up the parking (I think. I have done it before) and annotate an airport diagram for you so you know where to go.
Thanks Bo! Yours was one of the airports I was wondering about. I couldn't tell if it would be open to transients. I appreciate your offer, and might get back with you when we get closer to our time frames for flying down there.

Are Lakeview or Kitty Hawk practical options to consider? I see they are also listed as being public. If I get in the mood for a grass strip would they work?

Dave Siciliano said:
(perhaps a hanger just depending on what's going on at the time, but at least surface parking in front of my hanger.) Give me a call.
Thanks! If I fly the Skyhawk, I won't need a hangar (until it gets painted someday), but if I fly the Citabria, then a hangar would be nice.
Dave Siciliano said:
I'd love to buy lunch or coffee if you're here when I am.
That would be great! :)

Last edited:
Diana said:
Are Lakeview or Kitty Hawk practical options to consider? I see they are also listed as being public. If I get in the mood for a grass strip would they work?

Lakeview is OK, as long as you land on the grass; the paved runway is in pretty rugged shape. It's on the wrong side of the lake from Frisco, though.

Kittyhawk, I have no experience with.

Diana said:
Thanks Bo! Yours was one of the airports I was wondering about. I couldn't tell if it would be open to transients. I appreciate your offer, and might get back with you when we get closer to our time frames for flying down there.

I know nothing about Lakeview, but I have a friend at Kittyhawk. It is "Public" only for political purposes (to keep the neighbors from shutting it down). It is an airpark with 10 residences on field, 5 on each side. No public parking, no fbo, no publically available fuel.

SCCutler said:
Lakeview is OK, as long as you land on the grass; the paved runway is in pretty rugged shape. It's on the wrong side of the lake from Frisco, though.
Oh, I didn't know there was a lake in the way...good point! Scratch that one.

The Old Man said:
I know nothing about Lakeview, but I have a friend at Kittyhawk. It is "Public" only for political purposes (to keep the neighbors from shutting it down). It is an airpark with 10 residences on field, 5 on each side. No public parking, no fbo, no publically available fuel.
I guess I'll scratch that one too. Thanks for the information!

It was a good idea to ask you guys, since you know the area. :yes:

I make it a point to stop at KXBP (Bridgeport) for fuel. They have a beautiful pilot lounge and there's a courtesy car available.

Witmo said:
I make it a point to stop at KXBP (Bridgeport) for fuel. They have a beautiful pilot lounge and there's a courtesy car available.
Thanks Tim, if we need to divert that far west, KXBP sounds like a great place.

Looks like Carol and I will be flying to Dallas the weekend of Sept 9th. Will probably use McKinney as the airport to keep the Skyhawk (or Citabria if I'm lucky). Thanks to all who made suggestions!

Diana said:
Thanks Tim, if we need to divert that far west, KXBP sounds like a great place.

Looks like Carol and I will be flying to Dallas the weekend of Sept 9th. Will probably use McKinney as the airport to keep the Skyhawk (or Citabria if I'm lucky). Thanks to all who made suggestions!

Hey, Diana:

When both dave Siciliano and I diverted to McKinney for wx, I benefited from his exquisite negotiating skill, as he talked the young lass at the counter into a $0.20/gallon discount. So, when you go there, tell 'em you want the Flying Club Discount.

Hey, it couldn't hurt, right?

SCCutler said:
When both dave Siciliano and I diverted to McKinney for wx, I benefited from his exquisite negotiating skill, as he talked the young lass at the counter into a $0.20/gallon discount. So, when you go there, tell 'em you want the Flying Club Discount.

Hey, it couldn't hurt, right?
Spike, I'm not as charming as Dave, but I'll certainly give it a try! :)

Diana said:
Spike, I'm not as charming as Dave, but I'll certainly give it a try! :)

...don't know about the whole charming thing, but you'rre a damned sight better-looking!

Back