Airports Near Osh To Camp the Night BEFORE heading in?

Ryan Kuse

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ryanqzqz
First time going up, we've got lots of 'in case' plans, but I'm drawing a blank on this one.

I checked the RAF site - and everything I'm seeing there is pretty far West or North.

We are heading up from KPLK in Missouri Friday the 21st, but we'll go see family in the Minneapolis area first. So I'm not going to count on squeaking into Osh before close on Friday. We will likely try - but we're just as okay with camping somewhere else, and getting up early to try and be at Fisk at 7AM.

Are there any friendly 'dromes that would allow a family of four to pitch a tent under a wing overnight into Saturday? I was planning for 91C Sauk to be my jumping off point for fuel before heading in, but that may have to change; depending on how things work out.

Don’t know about camping, but FYI when I looked around there were hotels with availability near Rockford, IL (RFD)
that’s my “backup plan” if I have to wait for weather.

Adams County may be an option. They used to allow camping, likely still do. 24 hour access to ops building, courtesy car.

I would think 91c is camping friendly, but Uber and Lyft are sparse there.

I would suggest 02c Capital Drive as there are restaurants within walking distance as well as plenty of space to pitch a tent.

We stopped at Dekalb last year as the 'before show fuel stop' and they were very friendly there. Not sure about throwing up a tent, but my guess is that they would be willing to help out somehow in a pinch. They seemed like good folks.

Check Whiteside county in Rock falls Illinois.

They do an event Saturday before Oshkosh The last couple of years I've gone out there Friday and Saturday. I've gotten a hotel but I have always seen tents under the wings of airplanes along the runway.

They are doing the event again this year so you might check with them

Hartford, WI is hosting a STOL competition Friday and Saturday. There will be people camping on the field. You will be welcome there.

I've camped a bunch of times by figuring out where I want to be, calling the airport manager and asking. I think I've been turned down only once. Most of them are like "sure, I guess that's fine" because they can't imagine why someone would want to do something like that.

I would think 91c is camping friendly, but Uber and Lyft are sparse there.

I would suggest 02c Capital Drive as there are restaurants within walking distance as well as plenty of space to pitch a tent.
91C would be a weird spot to camp. But if you're so inclined call the airport manager. I'm based there so if anyone wants to swing by and grab a meal let me know!

KLNR has an awesome restaurant and allows camping.
KMRJ is having burgers all week, and also allows camping.

06dd316a-a3c1-d53c-0508-53e5d057889a.jpg
Marshfield, WI (KMFI)
24/7 Bathrooms, Free Camping On Field, Rental vehicles, 24/7 self serve fuel (discounted for AirVenture), Free Wifi, Hangar Storage available. Crew Car available to run into town. 715-613-6019

Mineral Point, WI (KMRJ)
24/7 self serve fuel, July 16th to 24th Burgers, Hot Dogs & Drinks Sunrise to Sunset All Week Long. 608-553-7571

Most airports with grass runways don't mind if you camp under the wing.

LNR was a nice option, the restaurant is closed now. Boscobel West of Madison is nice, 2 cars usually available.

I've camped a bunch of times by figuring out where I want to be, calling the airport manager and asking. I think I've been turned down only once. Most of them are like "sure, I guess that's fine" because they can't imagine why someone would want to do something like that.
On the other hand, your camping setup is nearly as large and significantly more modern than most FBOs

Went to OSH in 2019. That year a lot of their camp areas were underwater. We ended up camping in Fond du Lac (KFLD) and shuttling in and out by bus. For your trip, that might be too close to OSH? I do remember all the planes firing up very early in the morning, trying to get into OSH.

KMCW (Mason City, IA) hosts an airport BBQ the third Thursday of every month. In July that is the Thursday before Oshkosh, and many pilots use it as a staging ground for flying to AirVenture a day or two later - which means a great turnout and a big party that night. Plenty of grass to park in, and yes, people do pitch their tents there.

First time going up, we've got lots of 'in case' plans, but I'm drawing a blank on this one.

I checked the RAF site - and everything I'm seeing there is pretty far West or North.

We are heading up from KPLK in Missouri Friday the 21st, but we'll go see family in the Minneapolis area first. So I'm not going to count on squeaking into Osh before close on Friday. We will likely try - but we're just as okay with camping somewhere else, and getting up early to try and be at Fisk at 7AM.

Are there any friendly 'dromes that would allow a family of four to pitch a tent under a wing overnight into Saturday? I was planning for 91C Sauk to be my jumping off point for fuel before heading in, but that may have to change; depending on how things work out.
63C already was mentioned. Since you're coming from parts northwest, KTKV Tomahawk, WI is another very camping-friendly field, with showers and such available.

Never really thought of it that way, lol.
KLNR has an awesome restaurant and allows camping.
KMRJ is having burgers all week, and also allows camping.
That's several votes for LNR & MRJ, too!

Thank you all - this has given me plenty of options - and thank goodness the wife & kids like camping! Can't wait to see everyone up there! Now to go review options tonight with them all and we'll figure out what we like best; although we have a special place in our hearts for airport diners (LNR we're looking at you!)

Now to go review options tonight with them all and we'll figure out what we like best; although we have a special place in our hearts for airport diners (LNR we're looking at you!)

Ping me if Lone Rock ends up being the choice. I'm only four miles away, south of the river. I'll swing by if I can.

Any tips from someone coming from North Texas?

Back