Airports in the Dallas area

Lots of good ones; but need more info, too many options to scatter-shot.

> Are you looking to base or just visit?
> Where in the area (what part of town or what 'burb) are you visiting?

Lots of good ones; but need more info, too many options to scatter-shot.

> Are you looking to base or just visit?
> Where in the area (what part of town or what 'burb) are you visiting?

Relocating there, will be for my Skymaster. Looking at the west, north or south area.

Lots of choices, as SC said. Good airports all those directions, depending on where you want to live. Dunno about 337 MX, one good shop at KADS was maintaining one before the owner sold it. Do you need to be close to town, or any particular place?

Relocating there, will be for my Skymaster. Looking at the west, north or south area.

Lots of choices, as SC said. Good airports all those directions, depending on where you want to live. Dunno about 337 MX, one good shop at KADS was maintaining one before the owner sold it. Do you need to be close to town, or any particular place?

I do my own maintenance, so that's not an issue. I don't need to be close to the airplane, just a good airport to keep it on. Right now I'm looking at the Arlington area.

How bout Rockwall F46...love that little airport it would be perfect for the things you are looking for.....
http://www.airnav.com/airport/F46........

Red Bird might be worth looking into as well

Last edited:
Because you have a great deal of diversity as to where in the 'Plex you need to be, there are a raft of choices.

If you want all of the amenities a big airport provides, at very reasonable prices, Dallas Executive (formerly, "Redbird") is a great choice; all manner of approaches, two runways, reasonable hangar rates and even tolerably cheap gas. (KRBD)

Clay mentions Rockwall, a great airfield.

Mesquite Metro (KHQZ) is very user-friendly, has ILS and every other approach, cheap-azz-gas.

Arlington ain't bad, but with the new Cowboy stadium and other area developments, I definitely look for it to get more costly as time goes by.

If you can be a little more specific as to where daily life will have you, we can be a little more specific with our recommendations, including how both ground and air traffic might play into the mix.

/s/ Spike

Because you have a great deal of diversity as to where in the 'Plex you need to be, there are a raft of choices.

If you want all of the amenities a big airport provides, at very reasonable prices, Dallas Executive (formerly, "Redbird") is a great choice; all manner of approaches, two runways, reasonable hangar rates and even tolerably cheap gas. (KRBD)

Clay mentions Rockwall, a great airfield.

Mesquite Metro (KHQZ) is very user-friendly, has ILS and every other approach, cheap-azz-gas.

Arlington ain't bad, but with the new Cowboy stadium and other area developments, I definitely look for it to get more costly as time goes by.

If you can be a little more specific as to where daily life will have you, we can be a little more specific with our recommendations, including how both ground and air traffic might play into the mix.

/s/ Spike

I'm a small airport kinda guy, don't need a tower, approaches, etc. Like I said earlier I don't need to be close to the airplane everyday.

rockwall should be right up your alley

If you know that you'll be flying to a certain destination frequently, that could influence your choice of airports. If you're going generally southbound (or some direction SE through SW), for example, RBD is easy and much less ATC hassle, and has very little traffic. Rockwall can be a ***** due to bridge traffic, but any location in Dallas is subject to some traffic problems. Last I heard, hangar space at Rockwall was somewhat limited as well.

I do my own maintenance, so that's not an issue. I don't need to be close to the airplane, just a good airport to keep it on. Right now I'm looking at the Arlington area.

Spike, Wayne and I are all at Addison (ADS) on the north side of the Metroplex. There are about 6,300,000 folks in this area; it encompasses 9286 square miles; that's why folks keep asking in what part of town you wish to be.

North of Dallas is where more growth and businesses are located; more expensive. Each part of the Metroplex has advantages and disadvantages. There are a couple small airports without towers north of us. There are so many other choices, it's kinna hard to narrow down unless there is some part of town you need to be in or prefer.

If you have no idea, pick a place to begin with and any of us can chat with you or come on down and we can show you around and try to give you some ideas.

Best,

Dave

How's Rockwall's length for a Skymaster? Nice field, for sure.

(sent from 8,500' MSL, over the FST VOR- Cool toy, this cellular amp!)

looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I know if I had a plane I'd pick F69. It's 3200ft but only like 45ft wide. Very easy to get to, and still close to the city. There are some patio hangars available, don't know about the T hangars. I spoke with the apt mgr the other day, if you're interested pm me and I can go hunt down his card.

Back