Airports in Movies

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
USA Today has an interesting blog about airports and movies. With thanksgiving among us, in Planes Trains and Automobiles, the scene with the rental car agent comes to mind. Also the walk to the counter.
Also brought up were: Spinal Tap. I still laugh at that one. Pushing Tin, when the 747 lands over top of the men. City of Angles opening scene. HoneyMoon in Vegas "Airport Jail" scene.

What are some of your memorable airport film moments?

Die Hard II. The VOR going up in smoke.

Home Alone. Mom and family stranded in the terminal and she getting a ride from John Candy in the back of a UHaul.

Also, AIRPLANE. The nose of the plane going into the terminal.

Apollo 13 had some really cool shots of airports. I really liked the ones in Pushing Tin too.

They shot an episode of "Crime Story" at Meigs, showing them leaving on a DC-3 airliner.

I didn't see it, but isn't there a Tom Hanks movie out there that takes place in an airport? He's from some other country, can't get in here, they won't let him back into his own country, and he's just living in the airport... nowhere else to go.

"Casablanca". Van Nuys Airport is featured.

etsisk said:
I didn't see it, but isn't there a Tom Hanks movie out there that takes place in an airport? He's from some other country, can't get in here, they won't let him back into his own country, and he's just living in the airport... nowhere else to go.

The Terminal.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- the sequence of the Beech D18S "approach" and landing at the now-long-gone Rancho Conejo Airport in Thousand Oaks, California. The airport scene featured Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney and Jim Backus in the airplane, and Carl Reiner, Jesse White and Paul Ford in the control tower. The firemen standing at the ready? The Three Stooges. :D For more on the filming of the Twin Beech scenes in Mad, Mad World, see http://www.gchudleigh.com/madworld.htm .

The closing scenes of Stripes (the "heroes' welcome") were filmed at the Air National Guard base at KVNY.

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
Back