Airports around Boulder, CO

DrMack

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DrMack
Planning a biz trip from Dallas to Boulder in my DA40 and was wondering where to land. KBDU is closest to the office but no instrument procedures so if wx moves in I want a good alternate. KBJC is next closest but fuel prices are punitive. My next choice is KAPA. Any locals willing to offer advice to a first-time visitor?

Planning a biz trip from Dallas to Boulder in my DA40 and was wondering where to land. KBDU is closest to the office but no instrument procedures so if wx moves in I want a good alternate. KBJC is next closest but fuel prices are punitive. My next choice is KAPA. Any locals willing to offer advice to a first-time visitor?

Is this another excuse for dinner? But this time on the north side of town? Or northwest, if we're talking about the Peoples' Republic of Boulder?

Take BDU with LMO or BJC as alternates.

Actually, in the summer in Colorado if the weather is bad enough to need an instrument approach you don't want to be flying. We only have a few IMC days a year that aren't deadly (or just really unpleasant) to us bugmashers, and those are only in the early spring and late fall. Our CB start building around 2:00 and continue through about 6:00. Earlier in the day is definitely better.

On the flip side, you usually don't have to wait very long for weather to clear.

Depending on your exact destination, there's also Erie Airport KEIK. Probably no instrument approach there, either.

I've attached my "local airport cheatsheet" if it helps. (KBJC has significant NOTAMS due to runway construction - please review before flying there.)

If a dinner happens, I'm there! I mean, literally! I live in Boulder. It would be great to see everyone again/for the first time.

Dr. Mack - if I can help with local info, please ask.

Attachments

• Airport data cheatsheet.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 16

Actually, in the summer in Colorado if the weather is bad enough to need an instrument approach you don't want to be flying.

On the flip side, you usually don't have to wait very long for weather to clear.

+1. Plan your arrival for as early in the day as you can.

another reason for LMO - the BDU neighbors are not friendly with all the sound complaints as well as lots of glider/tow plane traffic on the weekends. And if you're not familiar with the geography, the winds can be very intriguing.

Actually, in the summer in Colorado if the weather is bad enough to need an instrument approach you don't want to be flying. We only have a few IMC days a year that aren't deadly (or just really unpleasant) to us bugmashers, and those are only in the early spring and late fall. Our CB start building around 2:00 and continue through about 6:00. Earlier in the day is definitely better.

Agreed on the IMC. Hell, it's not just Summer either. Fly able IMC here is rare.

EIK will probably have the cheapest gas of all of them. It'll also have the least amenities for a transient. Price will rise concurrent with said amenities at LMO, Boulder, and BJC. FTG is probably too far out of your way.

Agreed on the IMC. Hell, it's not just Summer either. Fly able IMC here is rare.

EIK will probably have the cheapest gas of all of them. It'll also have the least amenities for a transient. Price will rise concurrent with said amenities at LMO, Boulder, and BJC. FTG is probably too far out of your way.

Airnav shows (self-serve)
BDU $5.56
EIK $5.55
LMO $5.39
18V $5.29 (and the fun of the narrow runway)

18V $5.29 (and the fun of the narrow runway)

That is one of my favorite airports on the Front Range. Gas used to be significantly less expensive there that it used to be worth going just to fill up. Not so much anymore it seems.

Back