Airport selection?

What are those white things at the ends of the runway? Some standing X’s ?

It looks it could have been, but now it looks like pieces of wood. More obvious on the 24 end, along with the faded painted "X".

I know, but I called the airport manager last fall and he told me I could land there at that time. And if it is public and not Notam-Ed and the airport manager told me I could land there ...........

It does seem like a good target for a small POA fly-in

You can see where the giant white "X" on the end of the runway was moved out of the way in order to allow vehicle traffic access to the "parking lot."

See the white bars piled by the road? Yeah....

Just waiting for you to chime in, I knew you would know.

I've known that family since I was a teenager. After Pete and Rose left, I never went back. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Stormville Airport (FAA LID: N69) was a public airport located one mile (2 km) northeast of the central business district (CBD) of Stormville, a hamlet located within the Town of East Fishkill in Dutchess County, New York, USA. This general aviation airport covered 155 acres (63 ha) and had one runway. It is no longer used as an airport, even though FAA sectional charts and NOTAMS do not yet indicate that it has closed. It now hosts the Stormville Flea Market several times a year.

Stormville was a privately owned, public use airport. Pete and Rose O'Brien ran the airport until their retirement. The current owner is their daughter Patricia Carnahan. There are no services for aircraft and no aircraft based there. Airport facilities such as runways, taxiways, wind sock, and pavement markings are in poor condition.

We've lost a lot of airports in upstate NY. My home airport is the last public use airport in our county (Madison). Fortunately, we are financially sustainable for now. At one point we almost folded under private ownership, and had neither fuel nor repair services. A recent study done by the local university shows that the airport has a million+ dollar economic impact on the immediate region. Canastota (now a business park) and Kamp (bought by the Oneida Nation and then abandoned) were vibrant airfields and frequent destinations for pilots-in-training in the 80s. There were also several small airfields in and around Syracuse that folded. Once they go, you can't really get them back.

Yep... My first flights were out of ExecAir at KSYR, and we used to go to Michael's which had it's own tiny little cutout in the north of the SYR Charlie. Great field to train on... small, so you had to be precise. It's been gone, too, for quite a few years now, and the SYR airspace is a nice round complete circle again. Sigh. Oneonta (now "Nader") is a nice place to fly into up on the ridge. Beck's Grove is really fun. There's a few remaining, thankfully... let's keep'em going!

What are those white things at the ends of the runway? Some standing X’s ?
I think those are just sawhorses used to block the runway and taxiway from an errant fleamarket patron who has to drive down that little road off the end of the runway.

Right now, ForeFlight is showing N69 as NOTAMed closed to fixed-wing aircraft until November 15th. From the sound of things, maybe that will be replaced with a new NOTAM when that one expires.

My sister recently relocated from out west to within easy flying distance with my Cherokee. In looking for airports near her new residence, the closest one is described in the AF/D as

3315 x 50 feet / 1010 x 15 meters
Surface: Asphalt in Poor Condition
WIDE CRACKS & WEEDS ON RWY.

I've landed on grass plenty of times (intentionally), but when exploring new airports with my meager not-quite two hundred hours of flight time and on-again/off-again flying life since getting my PPL in 2004, I am pretty conservative and haven't landed on any fields that were described as being in "poor" condition. Anyone have any thoughts? In an airport described as above, does that mean I'd be having to avoid potholes as big as Buicks, or just that I might feel a less than silky smooth surface? To avoid, or not to avoid? Obviously, that's plane-dependent. Again, I fly a PA28A-140.

Thanks.
I had a similar conundrum last year. Called the airport manager, and he told me they had resealed a year before and the Faa just hadn’t fixed the supplement yet. And, it was true.

For us locals, Stormville has been an enigma for years. I actually had a lesson there with a CFI who did most of his instruction at POU in the late 70’s. In the early 80’s, while the field was open, but almost dead otherwise, it served as an aerobatic training box for nearby Mudry Aviation at POU. I would fly aerobatic routines all the time there, with occasional landings. Without services, transient traffic was infrequent.

In the late 80’s, when the flea market came in, the airport lost any attraction for me as a destination, and it’s status was really in flux with sometime Xs on the runways, and those other times without Xs, one felt uncomfortable landing. It did serve as a good engine out simulation for local CFIs at surrounding airports. With few remaining airports in the area, I would agree that it could have appeal for tie downs and hangars if the runway was maintained and had fuel. I for one, would consider it as it would be at least 15 min closer to anything else from my home. For a trip to Beacon however, POU is likely the most convenient, although a case could be made for SWF across the Hudson River.

I made changes to our airport entry in the supplement. It almost always takes THREE publication cycles to get it done and even then they usually get some aspect of it wrong. For a while, they had a number that belonged to Walgreens listed as one of our airport numbers.

I made changes to our airport entry in the supplement. It almost always takes AT LEAST THREE publication cycles to get it done and even then they usually get some aspect of it wrong. For a while, they had a number that belonged to Walgreens listed as one of our airport numbers.

Fixed for accuracy. We submitted for around 3 YEARS before they finally got it updated.

Back