Airport Politics

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
I've been a tenant at my airport for about 6 years. I'm only now learning all the multi-generational drama and politics that have played out amongst the owners and tenants for the last 30+ years. I've done my best to friendly and helpful to the vast majority of the people that are friendly and helpful to me, and to be civil to everyone else.

That said, sometimes I feel like I'm back in my hometown, where I was an Anglo in the middle of an Italian neighborhood.

Is this just my airport?

:yeahthat:

I make friends with the people I like, and stay away from everyone else.

All airports have their little groups,hard to break in,but once you do you will find some very nice people. Even airports have their own politics.

My last airport had more drama than the soap network.

Last thing that happened before I departed was the FBO owner came in and blessed out his employees for no apparent reason and at the end of the rant announced that he was going to become a "she".

I make it a point to introduce myself to new people I see at the airport and to say hello to the ones I have already met. They do not go out of their way to do the same, but that's ok. Maybe it is my deodorant.

Not Here. Very Friendly bunch of people.

I have been elected to the Board Of Directors of a small, non profit, airport-based, membership fee only, club. Basically, we have meetings, eat food, attend fly-outs, and raise money for student pilots. We are a not for profit group.

I did hear some say that, for the most part, we welcome all pilots and non pilots into the group. Then everyone looked at everyone else in the room and said "well I can think of a few who are NOT welcome".

So no, it is not just you. It is not just your airport.

Kind of bizarre. I don't know any of the other tenants at my airport. But my ramp is way back in BFE so I don't often run in to other people while tending to my plane.

I've been a tenant at my airport for about 6 years. I'm only now learning all the multi-generational drama and politics that have played out amongst the owners and tenants for the last 30+ years. I've done my best to friendly and helpful to the vast majority of the people that are friendly and helpful to me, and to be civil to everyone else.

That said, sometimes I feel like I'm back in my hometown, where I was an Anglo in the middle of an Italian neighborhood.

Is this just my airport?
I've been living on an an airpark for almost 20 years. We absolutely love the place. We were hoping for the same kind of community that we were part of at our old airport in NJ where we spent every weekend for years, but slowly discovered we had little in common with neighbors and flying mates here. I'm friendly with everyone and everyone is friendly with me. There is lots of gossip, drama and even feuds among different groups and individuals here but I'm not part of any of that. We do our part to keep other's conflicts tamped down.

I'm not sure what being an anglo among Italians is exactly but I'm always the black guy among white people. That's generally comfortable except when someone feels compelled to share that I'm the first black person they've ever really known and liked. Or the first black pilot they've known. That's always an effective way of making things comfortable, thanks.

A couple of people have felt the need to share their distress at all those Latinos moving into town, forgetting the fact that my wife was born in South America. I can only imagine the conversations that take place when I'm out of earshot... well no, I don't have to imagine them. Some people who feel they've gotten to know me, seem to relish pretending that I'm not "one of those people" so I know and agree with what they are talking about. Yeah, right.

But generally, everyone is friendly and generous and would do anything for my wife and I. I will do the same for them. But over the years I've found the best policy is to keep it light, stick to aviation, and try to make friends with those we have more in common with. It just turns out that most of those people aren't at this airport.

Airport culture is great when it works well and we've had the pleasure of experiencing that. It comes and goes just as people do, so we are always open to changes.

You have no idea.

The local airport was sold about two years ago. The drayma was maximized for all involved. Guy who was mgr there for 25 years was let go instantly. He owned adjacent land and built a small hangar and put a plane in it. The airport owner put up a pipe rail fence the next day. The old mgr came out and found his plane blocked out of the airport. He tried to cut down the pipe fence. It went on, and on, and on like that for months.

You have no idea.

The local airport was sold about two years ago. The drayma was maximized for all involved. Guy who was mgr there for 25 years was let go instantly. He owned adjacent land and built a small hangar and put a plane in it. The airport owner put up a pipe rail fence the next day. The old mgr came out and found his plane blocked out of the airport. He tried to cut down the pipe fence. It went on, and on, and on like that for months.

It totally mystifies me that some of the people involved in such a fun activity as flying can be so petty. :(

It totally mystifies me that some of the people involved in such a fun activity as flying can be so petty. :(

Yeah, quite sad. The old airport mgr was in his 70s. He had his stuff all over the airport, as he'd collected bits and pieces for decades. Finally, they locked him out of the hangar/shop/ofc, and he called a locksmith he's known for 30 years to come out and drill the lock cause he 'forgot' his keys inside. Him and a few guys back up some trucks and a trailer and took e v e r y t h i n g that wasn't nailed down out of the shop and ofc. I came in a few days later and wanted to buy a couple of AN screws in the back shop and it was - bare...:redface:

You have no idea.

Just Wow

Back