Airport options for GA into Philly

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Title says it all. What airports work well for GA into Philly? Going to family event downtown in the fall, have a plane, seems silly to not use it, etc... Which GA airports in the area work well and have good ground transportation to downtown?

PHL or PNE are good for downtown.
PHL is 10-15 min to center city and PNE about 20-25.

Both are easy for a competent GA pilot

PNE is a good one

Philly is an Uber friendly town.
PNE is very accommodating.

It would be KPNE for me. Great fbo and easy access to downtown.

Are you staying in the city or making day trips in/out?

KLOM is privately owned (check parking rates) , regional rail to city (about a half hour) is a short Uber ride from the airport.

Do not take regular cabs. Uber only. You've been warned. Pne is cheaper than phl to land at but a little further out. If sports are the interest then use phl.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Downtown and Phillies games we use PHL. Unless you're staying several days, it's easier and not much more expensive to go PHL. I've also flown into LOM and OQN, which are great airports but I was going out to the suburbs; they're a bit of a hike to downtown.

Philly is an Uber friendly town.

Do not take regular cabs. Uber only. You’ve been warned.

I have to disagree. Only use Uber if you want to never get an Uber and don’t really care when you’re going to arrive. At least downtown. Lived in Philly for a while and the majority of the Uber drivers there (at least on the weekends) come over from Jersey to make money since there’s a lot of business. These people just use the app to try to get them where they’re going. Philly is a confusing town to drive in if you don’t know it. I can’t count the times that I watched my Uber driver get caught in the one-way street maze and just make turn after turn trying to get me. Eventually I’d see them on their way across the Schuylkill and know that they were never going to make it back. Then Uber would charge me $5 for cancelling the ride. Take a cab if you’re downtown and know that the price might be higher (if Uber isn’t “Surge Pricing” which they always do on the weekends), but at least the cabbies know the city and will get to you quickly and get you to where you’re going in a reasonable fashion. You can even use the “Curb” app to order the cab a la Uber.

Do not take Uber. Regular cabs only. You’ve been warned.

Don't go to LOM . If you have any mechanical issue the repair shop is rip off.

Don't go to LOM . If you have any mechanical issue the repair shop is rip off.
I used them almost a decade ago for an oil change while I had a mtg in Philly. Had no issues with the price. And the service was good.
Do you have a thread on the issues?

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I use PNE. Cabs to downtown are very expensive, but I was in the past on my employer's nickel, and flying saved at least one night at a hotel, so I came out ahead.

I used them almost a decade ago for an oil change while I had a mtg in Philly. Had no issues with the price. And the service was good.
Do you have a thread on the issues?

Tim

Different folks in place than 10 years ago.

So lived in the philly area pretty much all my life. My recommendation is KLOM wings field. Good approaches much less expensive than PHL and PNE. Line staff is great. Transportation in to Philly is a breeze. You can rent a car or you can take Uber or Lyft into center city. Contrary to the above posts they are pretty available in the area. In addition to Uber/Lyft or car rental you are a mere two miles from a regional rail station ( Ambler Train Station) with a train directly to center city. ( Which is the way I'd go) You can get an uber to the train or if there are folks around there is a good chance they will drive you to the train. They have a new airport manager in the past year who is very GA friendly. PNE is bigger with an ILS and a tower and although its closer geographically to center city its a pain to get there as the only way is via car and traffic can really stink. PHL is the closest and most expensive. If it were me I'd definitely go to Wings KLOM.

I used Klom for years ,son went to college in philly. Airport was very user friendly,easy access,and plenty of options for transportation. Also the home of Aopa.

I used Klom for years ,son went to college in philly. Airport was very user friendly,easy access,and plenty of options for transportation. Also the home of Aopa.
AOPA is based in Frederick KFDK.
Or am I missing something?

Aopa started at wings field,then got big and moved to FDK .

Back